Author Topic: Hypothetical Rondo + pick for top 3 pick trade?  (Read 7194 times)

Re: Hypothetical Rondo + pick for top 3 pick trade?
« Reply #15 on: March 11, 2014, 08:44:00 AM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867
No, and I don't understand why people want to get rid of Rondo for an unknown commodity (especially now that he seems to have improved his shooting again). It gets mentioned time and again that FAs do not want to come to Boston (I'm not sure if this is true honestly, but that's another discussion). One of the greatest draws we have is the best distributor in the game. If you are open, Rondo will find a way to get you the ball. Trading away Rondo for an unknown player definitely isn't going to lure FAs to Boston.

In my mind the best scenario would be to make a leap forward next year (by adding a defensive center first and foremost) and try to make the playoffs, which gives the new guys some needed playoff experience. That also gives us another year to see what we have with Sully and KO and who can get a good synergy with Rondo. Then try to make something happen in the summer of 2015: resign Rondo and get another top FA (maybe by a sign-and-trade with someone who doesn't quiet fit with Rondo).

Bc there is no assurance he will resign.  Plus its not like he is back 100 percent healthy. He might never be the same

Wiggins on the other hand might be the next nice player in the league. Prob not like durant but just a step below

« Reply #16 on: March 11, 2014, 08:53:50 AM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1547
If Exum is the pick why would the team acquiring Rondo also want Exum?  It seems like to me the better trade is moving Rondo with something else for the pick and keeping Exum or moving Exum and something else and keeping Rondo.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #17 on: March 11, 2014, 09:09:10 AM »

Offline sofutomygaha

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 343
Last year the 76ers got a 1st rounder and Nerlens Noel for Jrue Holliday.

That was a historically good deal for the 76ers, but that is more in the range of what I'd be asking for Rondo.

By the way, are we sure Joel Embiid is better than Nerlens Noel? Noel's rep suffered a little bit because he was always being compared to Anthony Davis; I think he's severely underrated and I expect him to be playing like vintage LARRY SANDERS! within a year. Just for perspective

« Reply #18 on: March 11, 2014, 09:12:17 AM »

Offline BleedGreen1989

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 568
No chance.
*CB Miami Heat*
Kyle Lowry, Dwayne Wade, 13th pick in even numbered rounds, 18th pick in odd numbered rounds.

« Reply #19 on: March 11, 2014, 09:12:22 AM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327

That was a historically good deal for the 76ers, but that is more in the range of what I'd be asking for Rondo.

By the way, are we sure Joel Embiid is better than Nerlens Noel? Noel's rep suffered a little bit because he was always being compared to Anthony Davis; I think he's severely underrated and I expect him to be playing like vintage LARRY SANDERS! within a year. Just for perspective
Yes because Embiid projects to have a greater offensive game.

But Noel is still a very good prospective big man.

« Reply #20 on: March 11, 2014, 09:23:06 AM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1834
Say you are Danny and the Celtics got the 5th pick (I'm taking account of Exum).

Would you trade Rondo + 5th for the 3rd given the chance? You are guaranteed either Embiid, Wiggins, or Parker.

If not, would you do it for the 2nd/1st?

I would not trade Rondo straight up for any one of the top 3, so why would I add a top 5 pick to sweeten the offer?

« Reply #21 on: March 11, 2014, 09:24:23 AM »

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1254
There is no way on Earth I trade Rondo to move up 2 or 3 spots. No way.

« Reply #22 on: March 11, 2014, 09:32:06 AM »

Offline green147

• Brad Stevens
  • Tommy Points: 17
If DA wanted, I'm pretty sure the Lakers would give up their top pick (with Steve Nash's expiring) straight up for Rondo. Kobe loves him and the Lakers don't have patience for a rebuild. So if we gave up Rondo for a top pick, it would definitely not include our own. At worst a Rondo trade would be straight up top pick + salary filler. At best, Celts should be getting additional picks or assets. Having said that, I don't think Rondo's going anywhere unless he makes it known that he doesn't intend to re-sign here.

« Reply #23 on: March 11, 2014, 09:35:00 AM »

Offline D.o.s.

• NCE
  • Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 1239
Rondo and a pick for a pick two slots higher seems like a high price and one with few takers. If you're a team that's in the mix for the #1 draft spot you probably don't want/need a player like Rondo, unless you've already got him.
At least a goldfish with a Lincoln Log on its back goin' across your floor to your sock drawer has a miraculous connotation to it.

« Reply #24 on: March 11, 2014, 11:05:09 AM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047
No, and I don't understand why people want to get rid of Rondo for an unknown commodity (especially now that he seems to have improved his shooting again). It gets mentioned time and again that FAs do not want to come to Boston (I'm not sure if this is true honestly, but that's another discussion). One of the greatest draws we have is the best distributor in the game. If you are open, Rondo will find a way to get you the ball. Trading away Rondo for an unknown player definitely isn't going to lure FAs to Boston.

In my mind the best scenario would be to make a leap forward next year (by adding a defensive center first and foremost) and try to make the playoffs, which gives the new guys some needed playoff experience. That also gives us another year to see what we have with Sully and KO and who can get a good synergy with Rondo. Then try to make something happen in the summer of 2015: resign Rondo and get another top FA (maybe by a sign-and-trade with someone who doesn't quiet fit with Rondo).

Bc there is no assurance he will resign.  Plus its not like he is back 100 percent healthy. He might never be the same

Wiggins on the other hand might be the next nice player in the league. Prob not like durant but just a step below
so you want to trade him because he MIGHT not resign (pure speculation) and/or he MIGHT not return to complete health (regardless of the fact he's playing better as the season progresses and most people coming back from that kind of surgery need more time to fully recover)
FOR
A player that MIGHT turn out to be an all-star level player which Rondo already is.
AND
you want to add in aother asset in the deal along with Rondo.

that's just foolish.

« Reply #25 on: March 11, 2014, 11:37:15 AM »

Offline moiso

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 441

If Noel's upside is Larry Sanders, he's not as good of a prospect as I thought.

If Ainge determines that the top 3 picks are going to be franchise players, and the next few picks are a significant step down then I hope he would make the trade.  It depends on how Ainge and his scouts rate the players.

« Reply #26 on: March 11, 2014, 11:39:23 AM »

Offline perrin_goldeneyes

• Svi Mykhailiuk
  • Tommy Points: 8

so you want to trade him because he MIGHT not resign (pure speculation) and/or he MIGHT not return to complete health (regardless of the fact he's playing better as the season progresses and most people coming back from that kind of surgery need more time to fully recover)
FOR
A player that MIGHT turn out to be an all-star level player which Rondo already is.
AND

that's just foolish.

I agree.

If you trade him away because he might not resign, then you definitely do not have him. That is the only absolute truth you can say about that. All the other stuff is speculation.
Yes, one of the top 3 picks could be better than Rondo in the future. There is also a real chance they won't be.

I would work hard to keep him, especially if he continues to shoot like he has this year (apart from his percentages around the rim).

« Reply #27 on: March 11, 2014, 12:10:33 PM »

Offline LilRip

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 392
If we're going the route of trading Rondo, it wouldn't make sense to trade away our own pick.

I'll trade Rondo plus the Nets (19th?) for Wiggins. Let the youth movement flourish with Wiggins, 5th pick and Sully. We might end up with 25-30 wins again the following season but as long as there's development (and possibly a ROY), I'd gladly take it. FWIW, I'd also hold on to Green as opposed to trying to move him.
- LilRip

« Reply #28 on: March 11, 2014, 12:10:50 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867

FOR
AND

that's just foolish.

No. Rondo took years plus playing with three future HOF to become the player he is today. Wiggins is developing at a faster rate at the same age. He has potential to be a franchise calibre player while nobody considers rondo as a franchise calibre player even today. A 18 assist game vs the lowly pistons is not going to change anybodies mind.

rondo plus 5th for a top 3  I agree is overpaying. But we would get overpaid by getting a top three pick for rondo. Danny imo would pull the trigger. Nobody is going to offer that trade though bc they wont think they are getting a fair return back
« Last Edit: March 11, 2014, 12:22:35 PM by triboy16f »

« Reply #29 on: March 11, 2014, 12:21:22 PM »

Offline MattyIce

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 743
No, I wouldn't.

On the other hand, Rondo isn't about to resign with one of the teams that would have the top-three pick--unless it were the Lakers.

rondo for lakers pick and nash?  who says no?