Author Topic: Hypothetical Rondo + pick for top 3 pick trade?  (Read 7195 times)

Hypothetical Rondo + pick for top 3 pick trade?
« on: March 11, 2014, 12:00:49 AM »

Offline syfy9

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 291
  • We may as well put Tyrion in at center.
Say you are Danny and the Celtics got the 5th pick (I'm taking account of Exum).

Would you trade Rondo + 5th for the 3rd given the chance? You are guaranteed either Embiid, Wiggins, or Parker.

If not, would you do it for the 2nd/1st?
I like Marcus Smart

Re: Hypothetical Rondo + pick for top 3 pick trade?
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2014, 12:06:52 AM »

Offline indeedproceed

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2756
  • You ain't the boss of the freakin' bedclothes.
I am glad Im not a GM, because I have no idea. Rondo+a top 5 pick is a kings ransom. I don't know how good Embiid/Wiggins/Parker will be, but I have high expectations for all. Exum's supposed to be amazing too. Trading a Rondo and the pick for a top 3 is a line in the sand trade. It means we're rebuilding for 3, 4 years minimum. But I think it's also the chance for the highest potential reward. Id rather flip a coin and trust fate than knowing I consciously made that choice.

"You've gotta respect a 15-percent 3-point shooter. A guy
like that is always lethal." - Evan 'The God' Turner

« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2014, 12:38:46 AM »

Offline Smokeeye123

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 156
Yeah i would but danny has got to hope he hits...if he drafts a bust i honestly think hed be fired within 3-4 years.

« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2014, 01:27:45 AM »

Offline bballdog384

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 65
  • Rondolope
Rondo and a #5 pick is worth much more than a #3 pick.

Rondo and the Nets/Hawks might be worth it.

Just look at how well some guys are playing now with Rondo. Green and Olynyk are breaking out. Some people hate to admit it, but he's still a top 3 PG.

I think we forget how good he is. Seriously - He's been back from ACL surgery for only 18 games and just put up a 11/18 game w/ 0 turnovers. Also shooting 34% from 3 - after 24% last year.

Who else can put up 18 assists when the top target are Jeff Green and Kris Humphries?

"You can't play like a robot" -Coach Stevens

« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2014, 01:36:45 AM »

Offline colincb

• NCE
  • Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 501
Say you are Danny and the Celtics got the 5th pick (I'm taking account of Exum).

Would you trade Rondo + 5th for the 3rd given the chance? You are guaranteed either Embiid, Wiggins, or Parker.

If not, would you do it for the 2nd/1st?
No, No, and No. There are no players in this draft that warrant such a one-sided deal unless DA thinks he cannot re-sign Rondo, which I doubt he does.

« Reply #5 on: March 11, 2014, 01:39:58 AM »

Offline clover

• Front Page Moderator
  • Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 315
No, I wouldn't.

On the other hand, Rondo isn't about to resign with one of the teams that would have the top-three pick--unless it were the Lakers.

« Reply #6 on: March 11, 2014, 02:04:40 AM »

Offline action781

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 609
The interesting and likely unnoticed thing about this trade is that if we don't take a player back, this frees up $13M more in cap space.  That leaves us with a top 3 pick in the draft, Jeff Green, Sullinger, Olynyk, a ton of future draft picks, and $30 mil in cap space.  We could sign a guy like Kyle Lowry for under $10 mil per year (due to low demand for PGs, not lack of Lowry's talent) and still have $20 mil in cap space.  We don't want to use it this year?  Fine.  Sign some guys like Humphries to a big 1 year contract, let it expire, then have that money plus now Wallace's as well free up the following offseason.

It's a tough call for me.  The #5 pick could likely be a great player as well... maybe end up better than who we get at #3.  It's tough to potentially trade away Rondo too for that *possible* upgrade in your franchise player.
2020 CelticsStrong All-2000s Draft -- Utah Jazz

Finals Starters:  Jason Kidd - Reggie Miller - PJ Tucker - Al Horford - Shaq
Bench:  Rajon Rondo - Trae Young - Marcus Smart - Jaylen Brown -  Peja Stojakovic - Jamal Mashburn - Carlos Boozer - Tristan Thompson - Mehmet Okur

« Reply #7 on: March 11, 2014, 05:29:58 AM »

Offline chambers

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 943
  • Boston Celtics= Championships, nothing less.
Absolutely,  positively...no way.
I don't think I'd give up Sully +5th pick for top 3 pick.
I'd give up our nets/hawks pick+our 5th pick and maybe a sweetener like the 2015 clippers pick if I had to but no way I'd give up Rondo.
Maybe Olynyk+ the 5th pick?

I could see Ainge hosing some GM if we lucky and bink a top 3 pick. They give us a young stud and their top 6 pick and we give em the pick or player...or if Love or Aldridge came available.

Does Danny give up the 3rd pick for the 5th pick and Jonas Valancunas?(unlikely Raptors GM gets hosed but Jonas is a player example) Or the 5th pick and Another sweet prospect?

This is why we love and hate draft night.
GULP.
"We are lucky we have a very patient GM that isn't willing to settle for being good and coming close. He wants to win a championship and we have the potential to get there still with our roster and assets."

quoting 'Greg B' on RealGM after 2017 trade deadline.
Read that last line again. One more time.

« Reply #8 on: March 11, 2014, 06:58:49 AM »

Offline Gari

• The Green Kornet
  • Tommy Points: 6
No way are we involving rondo in the trade. You never know whether embiid, parker and wiggins will pan out (even though likely), but rondo is a sure top 5 PG in the league. You don't trade a building block for a potential building block.

If a trade has to be done, I'll include sully/KO and AB plus our (assumed) 5th pick to trade up, and perhaps throw in next years clipper's pick as a sweetener too.

« Reply #9 on: March 11, 2014, 07:14:04 AM »

Offline OhioGreen

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 55
I used to entertain thoughts about trading RR. Not anymore. Like Tommy has pointed out recently, the leagues worst nightmare is Rondo with jump shot! He's turned into a shooter--and a good one, who also is making his FT's! It was the only thing keeping him from being top 1-3 in the league! Now it's just his recovering completely--but you don't trade him now! Him, Sully, KO, AB, JG, and Hump, along with two more good draft picks this year, promise a bright future. With a couple of crafty FA moves, or trades for an excellent big man to protect the rim, and a big athletic, lights out shooting guard, I think we'll be right there competing with the big boys again!

« Reply #10 on: March 11, 2014, 07:24:46 AM »

Offline AidaCelt

• Joe Mazzulla
  • Tommy Points: 13
There's not too many trades for Rondo I would accept... and this is definitely not one of them
Expectations, Execution, No Excuses

« Reply #11 on: March 11, 2014, 07:57:50 AM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867
I would consider it if it for embiid or wiggins. Wiggins more due to embiids minor injury issues lately

« Reply #12 on: March 11, 2014, 08:22:29 AM »

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1254
God no. God no.

« Reply #13 on: March 11, 2014, 08:30:10 AM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047
sure, this would be right up there with giving someone $100 AND a lottery ticket for just a lottery ticket.

« Reply #14 on: March 11, 2014, 08:37:34 AM »

Offline perrin_goldeneyes

• Svi Mykhailiuk
  • Tommy Points: 8
No, and I don't understand why people want to get rid of Rondo for an unknown commodity (especially now that he seems to have improved his shooting again). It gets mentioned time and again that FAs do not want to come to Boston (I'm not sure if this is true honestly, but that's another discussion). One of the greatest draws we have is the best distributor in the game. If you are open, Rondo will find a way to get you the ball. Trading away Rondo for an unknown player definitely isn't going to lure FAs to Boston.

In my mind the best scenario would be to make a leap forward next year (by adding a defensive center first and foremost) and try to make the playoffs, which gives the new guys some needed playoff experience. That also gives us another year to see what we have with Sully and KO and who can get a good synergy with Rondo. Then try to make something happen in the summer of 2015: resign Rondo and get another top FA (maybe by a sign-and-trade with someone who doesn't quiet fit with Rondo).