Author Topic: Do you do this trade on Draft night?  (Read 9823 times)

Re: Do you do this trade on Draft night?
« Reply #30 on: March 23, 2014, 11:49:22 AM »

Offline Smokeeye123

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 156
First, swapping what may be the 5th pick for maybe the 8th pick is not that big a deal I don't think.  If that helped allow a good deal to go down, I would not sweat that too much.  So the deal is really Rondo for Drummond and Jennings.

Trades are risky but for the Celtics, not trading Rondo has risk too.  We could lose him for nothing after next season, or end up overpaying for him and have him blow out his knee again.  This is not as simple as "Rondo is good so keep him".

Jennings and Drummond are two really promising young players.  Jennings is known as a chucker but he could (but also may not) grow out of that and become a fine player if he got into more of a winning environment (which hopefully, the Celtics would be fairly soon).  And Drummond is about a close to a lock as a player as you are going to see and under reasonable contractual control.

So yes, I take a deep breath and do the trade.  Not so much because I think I am getting an immediate talent upgrade but rather because I am afraid that if we can get an extension for Rondo, we will probably not win the FA sweepstakes for him (at least not at a contract value that makes sense).

The biggest risk for Detroit is also keeping Rondo.  If they continue to suck, no way he resigns with them and then it is them that ends up with nothing.

Rondo and Josh Smith are buddies. I doubt Rondo walks out on him after one year.

« Reply #31 on: March 23, 2014, 02:51:18 PM »

Offline tstorey_97

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 586
The Celtics need a center with two way talent. They will try for one this coming summer or 2015.

This type of trade makes sense for Ainge. He would do the "Auerbach thing" and put assets towards a big with high defensive ability. This rebuild will climax with acquiring the center to build around.

Is a "Drummond like" center more valuable to Ainge than Rondo?

This will continue to be the inflection point in the trade Rondo debate. Ainge and his teacher (Red), do not value point guards the same way they do centers....no NBA GM does.

An effort to obtain Drummond using Rondo as a piece in the deal is, IMO, "possible" on Ainge's part. No idea if it is on the Piston's part.

Will this high octane trade combo of "top five pick plus Rondo" scenario exist again in the future? Can an all star center of Drummond's ilk be "gotten" with assets that do not include Rondo? Why not, but, Drummond?

In the NBA, a star can be traded for a star and the Celtics have but one.

« Reply #32 on: March 23, 2014, 03:59:27 PM »

Offline cometboy

• Joe Mazzulla
  • Tommy Points: 14
I would trade Rondo for Drummond, but only if Detroit keeps Jennings. If we have to sweeten the deal, I would add a future first, but not this years. It would be nice to grab Exum to replace Rondo, or maybe Smart, but I'm more than a little leery about Smart. I would swap picks this year only if we have the 5th or lower, and believe we can nap a good PG with the Detroit pick.

I'm one of those who believe we badly need one of the young stud centers more than Rondo, and I really like Rondo.

CB

« Reply #33 on: March 23, 2014, 09:37:09 PM »

Offline #1P4P

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 140
This trade should only be rejected if you're certain Rondo is the key to a Championship and you'll be able to address weaknesses with the remaining assets.

Without subtracting pieces, this team needs an elite defensive anchor and an elite scorer to seriously contend. Unless those issues can be addressed immediately through the draft or a different trade, this is a great trade.

Drummond's trade value > Rondo's trade value

Even if you don't like Drummond, trades that were impossible become possible with him. Boston wouldn't have to add too much more for Minnesota to seriously contemplate a Drummond-Love trade, but Rondo-Love? That better be accompanied by a future 1st or 2 to even be considered.

The Celtics pull the trigger on this trade 10 times out of 10. The Pistons would never do this (especially given their current personnel).

« Reply #34 on: March 23, 2014, 11:50:13 PM »

Offline MBunge

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 471
Boston wouldn't have to add too much more for Minnesota to seriously contemplate a Drummond-Love trade, but Rondo-Love? That better be accompanied by a future 1st or 2 to even be considered.

That's only true in the sense that it makes no sense to trade Rondo for Love, either for Boston or Minnesota.  Detroit might want to trade Drummond for Love...but Minny would ask for a whole lot more.  How would trading away their best player for Drummond and filler do anything positive for them? 

Mike

« Reply #35 on: March 24, 2014, 01:31:08 AM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2961
Boston wouldn't have to add too much more for Minnesota to seriously contemplate a Drummond-Love trade, but Rondo-Love? That better be accompanied by a future 1st or 2 to even be considered.

That's only true in the sense that it makes no sense to trade Rondo for Love, either for Boston or Minnesota.  Detroit might want to trade Drummond for Love...but Minny would ask for a whole lot more.  How would trading away their best player for Drummond and filler do anything positive for them? 

Mike

Love would never sign a long term contract with Detroit .....forget it .....it would take Drummond to get him .....but he wouldn't stay ...situation is no better if Drummond is gone. And they have no serious point guard and a losing system

I think he is sick of the North and snow .

He'll go to CA team...maybe LA or Down to Mavs...outside chance  he goes to a Bulls or Celtics , both teams with top rated point guards.   Love won't sign anywhere without a top five point guard .....he needs a good one to support his game.

« Reply #36 on: March 24, 2014, 06:45:37 AM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
It's amusing how quick some are to dismiss Andre Drummond.

Probably the same folks who would expect other teams to offer a treasure trove for Jared Sullinger or Jeff Green.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain