Author Topic: Do you do this trade on Draft night?  (Read 9822 times)

Re: Do you do this trade on Draft night?
« Reply #15 on: March 10, 2014, 11:32:33 PM »

Offline pearljammer10

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 885
It involves Rondo so no.

« Reply #16 on: March 10, 2014, 11:32:43 PM »

Offline moiso

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 441
Celtics would do it and the Pistons would laugh.  Drummond has that much value.

« Reply #17 on: March 11, 2014, 12:36:56 AM »

Offline Smokeeye123

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 156
The fact that there is such a 50/50 mixed response makes me think i came up with a relatively even trade. Drummond is going to be an allstar center and the c's are trading rondo and the 4th for him and the 9th. Rondo could glue the broken glass pistons together and make them the 3-4 seed next year even without drummond.

« Reply #18 on: March 11, 2014, 01:02:32 AM »

Offline oldtype

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 143
I'd do that no doubt.

Great words from a great man

« Reply #19 on: March 11, 2014, 01:55:59 AM »

Offline bballdog384

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 65
  • Rondolope
Detroit would probably do it. I think there's been so much hype about the Rondo reuniting with Smith rumor that it has to work.  Smith would play harder, and when that happens, he's an all-star.

Drummond, Sully, and Olynyk for your C/PF rotation is a pretty good starting point.

But I still would rather keep Rondo! ;D
"You can't play like a robot" -Coach Stevens

« Reply #20 on: March 11, 2014, 08:09:58 AM »

Offline gpap

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 417
Yeah this is actually not a bad idea at all and yes, I would do it.

I still think Drummond is going to be a beast and don't forget, he's still pretty young.

Like others have said, a Sully/Drummond front court would be awesome.

Also, maybe I am not as down on Brandon Jennings as others are so I'd be willing to look past that part of the deal.

So yes, I would.

But I don't think Detroit would. The ONLY thing that makes me think Detroit MIGHT bite on this is that they rid themselves of Jenning's contract.

BUT, the flip side to that is if they deal Drummond for Rondo, now they have two players they need to cough up money to keep beyond next year in Rondo and Monroe.

« Reply #21 on: March 11, 2014, 09:12:12 AM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2619
One thing that needs to be mentioned is that Detroit does not control their pick this year if they finish with a pick outside the top 8, so this trade is impossible if they wind up picking 9th or 10th.

« Reply #22 on: March 11, 2014, 09:18:35 AM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2619
Yeah this is actually not a bad idea at all and yes, I would do it.

I still think Drummond is going to be a beast and don't forget, he's still pretty young.

Like others have said, a Sully/Drummond front court would be awesome.

Also, maybe I am not as down on Brandon Jennings as others are so I'd be willing to look past that part of the deal.

So yes, I would.

But I don't think Detroit would. The ONLY thing that makes me think Detroit MIGHT bite on this is that they rid themselves of Jenning's contract.

BUT, the flip side to that is if they deal Drummond for Rondo, now they have two players they need to cough up money to keep beyond next year in Rondo and Monroe.

I don't see salaries being too large of a concern.  They committed money to Josh Smith already, and that contract's going nowhere.  Might as well try to win with him.  Monroe and Rondo won't put them in tax territory anyway, so then it becomes about drafting wisely and making good choices with your cap exceptions.  Right now they can let Monroe walk and sign someone with (a lot of) cap space, keep Monroe with that cap space, or make some trade to fill it up. 

I still don't like the trade, because Brandon Jennings at 8 million per year is dreadful.

« Reply #23 on: March 11, 2014, 09:59:47 AM »

Offline CFAN38

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 420
I would if the pick is 5th or lower (4th pick will be parker or exum)just for the fact that Drummond is a stud prospect. No way Detroit is moving him.
Mavs
Wiz
Hornet

« Reply #24 on: March 11, 2014, 11:45:37 AM »

Offline colincb

• NCE
  • Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 501
There is merit to the trade on both sides, but hate the idea of Jennings in green.

No.

« Reply #25 on: March 18, 2014, 08:32:06 PM »

Offline PickNRoll

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 199
No, strictly because of Jennings.  Don't want him in green.

« Reply #26 on: March 18, 2014, 08:44:34 PM »

Offline dreamgreen

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 182
The Pistons are in a bit of a cluster blank. They are looking at paying Monroe a good chunk of change next season, and if they let the market dictate his price and opt to match the offer he gets, they also lose the right to trade him next year when he gains the no-trade clause. Jennings looks like a bad signing. Smith looks like a bad signing. Their talent doesn't consistently perform together.

I think though that their likeliest move will be Monroe in a sign and trade for another lottery pick.

I think a more likely trade might be Sullinger, Bogans and the Nets pick for Monroe or something.

Oh I'd love that.

« Reply #27 on: March 23, 2014, 09:43:54 AM »

Offline YoungOne87

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 65
no. pistons wont give up drummond, celtics dont want jennings.

« Reply #28 on: March 23, 2014, 10:16:52 AM »

Offline LilRip

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 391
I think this is a pretty fair trade which makes sense for both sides. Ideally, I'd do this without swapping the picks, but I guess Pistons would then balk.

Pistons acquire an allstar PG in Rondo who can make the Smith signing look like a good one, and they move both Monroe and Smith back to their more natural positions.

Meanwhile, C's acquire a legitimate center who is very young, and who would also be a great pairing with Sully. Call me optimistic, but that could be the best front court in the league a year or 2 from now. Dunno how much Jennings makes, but I read on this thread that he makes 8m? That's less than Green. That's not so bad, considering he's a better player than Green. We still wont be a contender next year, but the rebuild looks very bright.
- LilRip

« Reply #29 on: March 23, 2014, 10:43:13 AM »

Offline Vermont Green

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 860
First, swapping what may be the 5th pick for maybe the 8th pick is not that big a deal I don't think.  If that helped allow a good deal to go down, I would not sweat that too much.  So the deal is really Rondo for Drummond and Jennings.

Trades are risky but for the Celtics, not trading Rondo has risk too.  We could lose him for nothing after next season, or end up overpaying for him and have him blow out his knee again.  This is not as simple as "Rondo is good so keep him".

Jennings and Drummond are two really promising young players.  Jennings is known as a chucker but he could (but also may not) grow out of that and become a fine player if he got into more of a winning environment (which hopefully, the Celtics would be fairly soon).  And Drummond is about a close to a lock as a player as you are going to see and under reasonable contractual control.

So yes, I take a deep breath and do the trade.  Not so much because I think I am getting an immediate talent upgrade but rather because I am afraid that if we can't get an extension for Rondo, we will probably not win the FA sweepstakes for him (at least not at a contract value that makes sense).

The biggest risk for Detroit is also keeping Rondo.  If they continue to suck, no way he resigns with them and then it is them that ends up with nothing.
« Last Edit: March 23, 2014, 03:09:30 PM by Vermont Green »