Author Topic: Do you do this trade on Draft night?  (Read 9841 times)

Do you do this trade on Draft night?
« on: March 10, 2014, 07:47:39 PM »

Offline Smokeeye123

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 156
Say we end up with the 4th or 5th pick. And Jabari/Wiggins/Embiid are all gone.

Would you send Rondo and our pick to the Pistons for Drummond Jennings and their pick? (Probably 8-10).

I think both teams would take a hard look at that.

Re: Do you do this trade on Draft night?
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2014, 07:53:02 PM »

Offline LooseCannon

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 950
No
"The worst thing that ever happened in sports was sports radio, and the internet is sports radio on steroids with lower IQs.” -- Brian Burke, former Toronto Maple Leafs senior adviser, at the 2013 MIT Sloan Sports Analytics Conference

« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2014, 08:00:28 PM »

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 1619
  • What a Pub Should Be
I don't think the Pistons do it.

They're out a Center and Embiid is off the board.  Who are they replacing Drummond with?  Sure, the Pistons get an upgrade at the PG position but what do they do with the 4th/5th pick?  They're not gonna draft Exum.  Randle? Smart?

Celtics certainly take a look but I don't think the Pistons do.

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2014, 08:04:53 PM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2619
Presumably the Pistons keep Monroe and move Josh Smith to PF.  Not sure they wouldn't do it, but goodness only knows who will be running that team come draft day.

I may be overrating Rondo, but I wouldn't do it.  I'm not envious of the Pistons future with Brandon Jennings.

« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2014, 08:09:19 PM »

Offline Atzar

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 1676
Presumably the Pistons keep Monroe and move Josh Smith to PF.  Not sure they wouldn't do it, but goodness only knows who will be running that team come draft day.

I may be overrating Rondo, but I wouldn't do it.  I'm not envious of the Pistons future with Brandon Jennings.

Agree, and I'm also not nearly as high on Drummond as many here are.  He has a long way to go before he starts playing winning basketball.  Unskilled player on the offensive end, low-IQ player on defense.

Having said that, we're going to find out exactly how good Sheed is as a coach, because he was great at exactly the things Drummond lacks.  So I look forward to seeing him continue to develop.

« Reply #5 on: March 10, 2014, 08:26:10 PM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1834
I don't want to trade Rondo. Period. He is the central piece to our next championship.

« Reply #6 on: March 10, 2014, 09:33:41 PM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047

Would you send Rondo and our pick to the Pistons for Drummond Jennings and their pick? (Probably 8-10).

I think C's pass. 

Rondo and 4th for Drummond and 8?  don't see it.  Drummond isn't impressing me.  could be due to the bad mix on their roster but I just don't see him as the next all-star center.  good but not enough to move Rondo.  to me, taking Jennings is doing Detroit a favor.

« Reply #7 on: March 10, 2014, 10:42:55 PM »

Offline VitorSullyandKOFan

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 19
I do it is Drummond and possibly Vonleh for Rondo.

« Reply #8 on: March 10, 2014, 10:43:31 PM »

Offline Monkhouse

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 814
  • A true Celtic plays with heart.
Rondo and the 4th..?

Drummond is a Center that has potential Allstar/Franchise center, if he can develop his free throws, and improve his defense.

But Drummond is a player I want with Rondo together...

So no thanks.
"I bomb atomically, Socrates' philosophies and hypotheses
Can't define how I be dropping these mockeries."

Is the glass half-full or half-empty?
It's based on your perspective, quite simply
We're the same and we're not; know what I'm saying? Listen
Son, I ain't better than you, I just think different

« Reply #9 on: March 10, 2014, 10:50:57 PM »

Offline celticsfan8591

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 38
I would do this every day of the week and twice on Sunday.  Unfortunately I don't think Dumars/his successor would.  I don't like Jennings and think his trade value is zero or less, but Drummond is an absolute stud.  He's 20 years old and already one of the best shot blockers and the best rebounder in the NBA by percentage of available boards.    If he never gets better at all, he's a pretty valuable player.  If he improves his defense and gets up to 50-60% free throw shooting, which are both likely to happen in my opinion, he's a legit All Star.  If he can get up to 70% and adds a low post game  then we're talking about a Hall of Famer.  Rondo's a very good point guard, but nowadays especially those are a lot easier to find than dominant centers, and he probably won't get any better than he is now.  The difference in trade value between the two is way bigger than a few slots in the draft.

« Reply #10 on: March 10, 2014, 10:55:28 PM »

Offline syfy9

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 291
  • We may as well put Tyrion in at center.
Drummond is still really young and I think he's going to be really good. I want to avoid Jennings at all costs, though.
I like Marcus Smart

« Reply #11 on: March 10, 2014, 11:00:15 PM »

Offline indeedproceed

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2756
  • You ain't the boss of the freakin' bedclothes.
The Pistons are in a bit of a cluster blank. They are looking at paying Monroe a good chunk of change next season, and if they let the market dictate his price and opt to match the offer he gets, they also lose the right to trade him next year when he gains the no-trade clause. Jennings looks like a bad signing. Smith looks like a bad signing. Their talent doesn't consistently perform together.

I think though that their likeliest move will be Monroe in a sign and trade for another lottery pick.

I think a more likely trade might be Sullinger, Bogans and the Nets pick for Monroe or something.

"You've gotta respect a 15-percent 3-point shooter. A guy
like that is always lethal." - Evan 'The God' Turner

« Reply #12 on: March 10, 2014, 11:05:59 PM »

Offline LooseCannon

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 950
Drummond is a Center that has potential Allstar/Franchise center, if he can develop his free throws, and improve his defense.

I'd be pessimistic about Drummond breaking 50% on free throws.

EDIT: Fixed egregious typo
« Last Edit: March 10, 2014, 11:58:32 PM by LooseCannon »
"The worst thing that ever happened in sports was sports radio, and the internet is sports radio on steroids with lower IQs.” -- Brian Burke, former Toronto Maple Leafs senior adviser, at the 2013 MIT Sloan Sports Analytics Conference

« Reply #13 on: March 10, 2014, 11:08:46 PM »

Offline Mazingerz

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 99

Err no. Why in all that is holy would you trade a sure thing (rondo) to Drummond (his IQ is questionable if you ask me) and Jennings (one of the ultimate chuckers)?

I say keep Rondo, bring back Colton Iverson and draft Exum and train him as a SG.
Peavey Bass Player - relearning to play after 10 years sucks;

« Reply #14 on: March 10, 2014, 11:09:56 PM »

Offline CelticSince83

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 42
Not sure either team would or wouldn't do it.  TP to the OP though for an original trade idea that actually makes some sense. 

Drummond and Sully would be a good pairing too if you plan on Sullinger being a key cog going forward.  In the event this trade were to happen, I would really hope DA has some sort of plan to go after Kyle Lowry to play PG or hit on a PG with the other first round pick.