Author Topic: Local team qualifies for the Big Dance: Thanks Tommy Amaker!  (Read 4654 times)

Local team qualifies for the Big Dance: Thanks Tommy Amaker!
« on: March 07, 2014, 10:38:29 PM »

Offline csfansince60s

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 2238
For the third consecutive year,  Tommy Amaker's Harvard Crimson has qualified for the NCAA Tournament.

They made a little noise last year with a first round upset of the heavily favored New Mexico Lobos and lost to Arizona in the second round.

Amaker has certainly turned that program around.

Here a nice read on Amaker from SB Nation:

http://www.sbnation.com/longform/2014/3/6/5474320/harvard-basketball-tommy-amaker-profile-ncaa-tournament-2014

Even some of our Celtic boys have made the trek across the River (actually its on the same side of the River  as TD Garden, not the Cambridge side).

A look around the gym the previous Saturday suggested that quite a few people had bought what he was selling. Lavietes Pavilion, which only seats 2,195 people, but had been dormant before the team's resurgence, had been sold out and featured a raucous student section; two Boston Celtics, Kelly Olynyk and Phil Pressey, had trekked across town for the game; and faculty and staff from across the university, once loathe to be seen at a basketball game, were sitting courtside.

Nice going Coach Amaker. Hope you guys score at the Dance.

Re: Local team qualifies for the Big Dance: Thanks Tommy Amaker!
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2014, 11:19:45 PM »

Offline Yoki_IsTheName

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1304
  • I'm a Paul Heyman guy.
Three years in a row.
2019 CStrong Historical Draft 2000s OKC Thunder.
PG: Jrue Holiday / Isaiah Thomas / Larry Hughes
SG: Paul George / Aaron McKie / Bradley Beal
SF: Paul Pierce / Tayshaun Prince / Brian Scalabrine
PF: LaMarcus Aldridge / Shareef Abdur-Raheem / Ben Simmons
C: Jermaine O'neal / Ben Wallace

« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2014, 11:29:51 PM »

Offline csfansince60s

• Paul Silas
Three years in a row.

Yup, '12, '13 and now '14.

Should have been in '11 too, but a fluke shot/play at the buzzer by Princeton in an Ivy championship playoff in New Haven denied them. Almost cried the way they lost. Felt bad for them.They were a good bunch of kids that year, but would all be back to do it in '12.

« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2014, 02:22:55 AM »

Offline Ogaju

• Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1871
and here I thought Harvard was in Cambridge.

« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2014, 06:01:12 PM »

Offline csfansince60s

• Paul Silas
Big win today vs Cincinatti.

Way to represent, Harvard!!!

MSU better not take them too lightly if they play.

« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2014, 06:57:13 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
Really hoping BC can steal this guy away to resurrect the crappy basketball program.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #6 on: March 20, 2014, 07:13:26 PM »

Offline csfansince60s

• Paul Silas
Really hoping BC can steal this guy away to resurrect the crappy basketball program.

He likes it in Cambridge just fine!  ;D

You want him to go to the Wrong side of the River (although ironically, Soldiers Field where Laivetes Pavilion is located is also on the wrong side of the River, as is BC, BU, and NU).

Hope he stays. Here's  a great, but lengthy article on Amaker:

http://www.sbnation.com/longform/2014/3/6/5474320/harvard-basketball-tommy-amaker-profile-ncaa-tournament-2014

He's part of a coterie of breakfast club guys there that, I hope, will be hard for him to leave.

« Reply #7 on: March 20, 2014, 07:20:21 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182

You want him to go to the Wrong side of the River (although ironically, Soldiers Field where Laivetes Pavilion is located is also on the wrong side of the River, as is BC, BU, and NU).

He's part of a coterie of breakfast club guys there that, I hope, will be hard for him to leave.

To be honest, I'm actually a little bit dubious of the idea of stealing another Ivy League guy to try and build a successful ACC program.  Donahue was well-regarded before he went to BC, too.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #8 on: March 20, 2014, 07:51:16 PM »

Offline csfansince60s

• Paul Silas

To be honest, I'm actually a little bit dubious of the idea of stealing another Ivy League guy to try and build a successful ACC program.  Donahue was well-regarded before he went to BC, too.

I agree. Although, you have to admit that it's kind of ironic that Amaker, an ACC guy who almost went to Harvard to play his college ball, ended up coaching at the school he spurned.

So, he kinda is an ACC/Ivy hybrid type of guy. Best of both worlds?

« Reply #9 on: March 20, 2014, 08:40:30 PM »

Offline Yoki_IsTheName

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1304
  • I'm a Paul Heyman guy.
Harvard is legit, and I hope they land bigger recruits come next year or the years to come.

They are becoming a very good basketball program, and add their academic reputation, surely there will be kids to be had for that school.

But yes, Tommy Amaker is the difference maker.
2019 CStrong Historical Draft 2000s OKC Thunder.
PG: Jrue Holiday / Isaiah Thomas / Larry Hughes
SG: Paul George / Aaron McKie / Bradley Beal
SF: Paul Pierce / Tayshaun Prince / Brian Scalabrine
PF: LaMarcus Aldridge / Shareef Abdur-Raheem / Ben Simmons
C: Jermaine O'neal / Ben Wallace