Author Topic: 2014 offseason trades/signings  (Read 5729 times)

2014 offseason trades/signings
« on: March 06, 2014, 04:10:54 PM »

Offline scotto1205

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 16
  • Learn to be you and only you
Offseason moves edit

Let Bayless and Humphries deals expire.

Dont match an offer sheet for Avery Bradley.

Sign Stephenson to a 4yr/9.5mil deal.

Trade Green, Pressey, 2014 second to Houston for Asik and Brooks.

Trade Bass, Fav to Bobcats for Biyombo and Mcroberts

Draft

4) Parker/Wiggins
16) Saric

Lineup

Rondo brooks
Stephenson  brooks Saric
Parker/Wiggins  Saric
Sullinger Olynk Mcroberts Saric
Asik Biyombo Olynk

What do ya think?
"Maybe there is hope for us afterall

I post a lot of stuff on my phone autocorrect sucks.

Re: 2014 offseason trades/signings
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2014, 04:16:31 PM »

Online Birdman

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 414
I like it..but wouldn't mind seeing Hump come back at a reasonable price
C/PF-Horford, Baynes, Noel, Theis, Morris,
SF/SG- Tatum, Brown, Hayward, Smart, Semi, Clark
PG- Irving, Rozier, Larkin

« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2014, 04:46:40 PM »

Offline gpap

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 417
I think you would need another scorer in that group.

« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2014, 05:03:22 PM »

Offline Evantime34

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 764
  • Eagerly Awaiting the Next Fantasy Draft
I don't think Stevenson is leaving Indiana for less than a huge payday, 9.5 MM isn't going to be enough to sway him imo.

I also would sign AB to his qualifying offer and I think that will be enough to re-sign him (I don't think anyone bothers to offer him a contract since we can match anything).

If we get Parker I think he scores around 20 a game for us coming out of the gate, combine that with hopeful improvements in the games of Bradley, Rondo (at 100%), Sullinger (after losing weight and Olynyk (after bulking up) then we can be a much better team. After that I would attempt to package thing together to bring in Gordon Hayward or try to sign a wayward veteran who is overpaid for bargain basement prices (Wallace for Josh Smith type deal).

So essentially my plan is
1. Have a great draft
2. try for a vet who can at least be the third best player on the team
3. Bring in Asik or another rim protecting big to improve our defense

You plan fits the parameters of what I would like to see, although I prefer Hayward to Stevenson (I think he will cost less and is more likely to leave his original team).
DKC:  Rockets
CB Draft: Memphis Grizz
Players: Klay Thompson, Jabari Parker, Aaron Gordon
Next 3 picks: 4.14, 4.15, 4.19

« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2014, 05:28:46 PM »

Offline scotto1205

• Jrue Holiday
I don't think Stevenson is leaving Indiana for less than a huge payday, 9.5 MM isn't going to be enough to sway him imo.

I also would sign AB to his qualifying offer and I think that will be enough to re-sign him (I don't think anyone bothers to offer him a contract since we can match anything).

If we get Parker I think he scores around 20 a game for us coming out of the gate, combine that with hopeful improvements in the games of Bradley, Rondo (at 100%), Sullinger (after losing weight and Olynyk (after bulking up) then we can be a much better team. After that I would attempt to package thing together to bring in Gordon Hayward or try to sign a wayward veteran who is overpaid for bargain basement prices (Wallace for Josh Smith type deal).

So essentially my plan is
1. Have a great draft
2. try for a vet who can at least be the third best player on the team
3. Bring in Asik or another rim protecting big to improve our defense

You plan fits the parameters of what I would like to see, although I prefer Hayward to Stevenson (I think he will cost less and is more likely to leave his original team).

I like Stephenson because I think he brings a better all around game than Hayward and Bradley. I also think he has the potential to be the 2nd leading scorer on a playoff team but still bring 4-6 rebounds and assists per night. Call me crazy but I think he could have a Paul George like jump after this year. I also think this bench would have a lot of scoring punch in it with Saric brooks and Olynk leading the way. Say we resign Humphries and add his vet presence to the bench that would be a scary team no one would want to see in the playoffs.

« Reply #5 on: March 06, 2014, 05:46:16 PM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2619
Offseason moves edit

Draft

4) Parker/Wiggins
16) Saric

Lineup

Rondo brooks
Stephenson  brooks Saric
Parker/Wiggins  Saric
Asik Biyombo Olynk

What do ya think?

1) I'm fine letting Hump and Bayless go.
2) I think this is short-sighted.  Bradley is 23?  Definitely has a lot of room to grow.  Depends on what some other team signs him for, but to just let him go out of hand?  Not a fan.
3) I guess if you want Bradley gone, this works.  There's not enough room to sign him without all of your other trades, but there is with them, so good job!
4) I don't think Houston has any real interest in Green.  Also, Houston traded Brooks at the trade deadline to Denver, and Brooks is a free agent this summer.
5) I think this would be a terrible trade for Charlotte, but if they'd do it, I'm down.  Although McRoberts has a player option, which if he declines (and he may), this trade would be undoable.
6) I don't know why you'd draft two players who play the same position.

« Reply #6 on: March 06, 2014, 08:38:32 PM »

Offline scotto1205

• Jrue Holiday
Offseason moves edit

Draft

4) Parker/Wiggins
16) Saric

Lineup

Rondo brooks
Stephenson  brooks Saric
Parker/Wiggins  Saric
Asik Biyombo Olynk

What do ya think?

1) I'm fine letting Hump and Bayless go.
2) I think this is short-sighted.  Bradley is 23?  Definitely has a lot of room to grow.  Depends on what some other team signs him for, but to just let him go out of hand?  Not a fan.
3) I guess if you want Bradley gone, this works.  There's not enough room to sign him without all of your other trades, but there is with them, so good job!
4) I don't think Houston has any real interest in Green.  Also, Houston traded Brooks at the trade deadline to Denver, and Brooks is a free agent this summer.
5) I think this would be a terrible trade for Charlotte, but if they'd do it, I'm down.  Although McRoberts has a player option, which if he declines (and he may), this trade would be undoable.
6) I don't know why you'd draft two players who play the same position.

I would like to bring back Bradley. Just didn't think we could. And I didn't know about the brooks trade. I know Houston needs some wing defense and he would be a good complementary player off the bench or as a starter especially if Chandler signs elsewhere. I think it depends on how this season ends for the bobcats regarding bass if they make the playoffs and are looking to add another veteran presence bass would be a good fit. And lastly I like the vesatility of both Parker and Saric Both can play small forward and power forward and I think they would be especially effective playing together.

« Reply #7 on: March 06, 2014, 09:58:14 PM »

Offline RyNye

• NGT
  • Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 97
I like Stephenson because I think he brings a better all around game than Hayward and Bradley. I also think he has the potential to be the 2nd leading scorer on a playoff team but still bring 4-6 rebounds and assists per night. Call me crazy but I think he could have a Paul George like jump after this year.

Honest, I think he is already about on par with Paul George, and has a higher ceiling, at least offensively.

Paul George's per game line: ~22pts/6reb/3assists/2steals.
Lance's per game line: ~14pts/8reb/5assists/1steal.

So just looking at the raw numbers, Paul George scores more and is a little better at grabbing steals (i.e. better defender), but Lance has a pretty strong edge in rebounding and passing. They both turn the ball over at the same rate (literally, both are at 2.7 per game).

Okay, so let's look at their shooting stats.

Paul George: 43.2% fg, 37.2% from 3, 86.6% from the line.
Lance: 49.6% fg, 33.5% from 3, 70.3% from the line.

Paul George takes 17 field goal attempts per game (6 of them 3s), plus 6 free throw attempts.

Lance takes 11 field goal attempts per game (3 of them 3s), plus 3 free throw attempts.

They each play approximately the same number of minutes. So Paul George is better from 3 and from the line. Lance is better from 2 (in face, he shoots well over 50% if you discount his 3 point percentage). So Paul scores 22 points on 17 field goal attempts per game, while Lance scores 14 points on 11 field goal attempts per game. That gives both of them around 1.2pps, so they are about equally efficient. If you give Lance Stephenson the role on Boston that Paul George has now on Indiana, I think he would surpass Paul George statistically.

Although, admittedly, Paul George's defense doesn't show up in those numbers, but he's definitely a better defender than Lance. But Lance's isn't outright bad, and he has length and quickness for his position.

« Reply #8 on: March 06, 2014, 11:23:37 PM »

Offline scotto1205

• Jrue Holiday
I like Stephenson because I think he brings a better all around game than Hayward and Bradley. I also think he has the potential to be the 2nd leading scorer on a playoff team but still bring 4-6 rebounds and assists per night. Call me crazy but I think he could have a Paul George like jump after this year.

Honest, I think he is already about on par with Paul George, and has a higher ceiling, at least offensively.

Paul George's per game line: ~22pts/6reb/3assists/2steals.
Lance's per game line: ~14pts/8reb/5assists/1steal.

So just looking at the raw numbers, Paul George scores more and is a little better at grabbing steals (i.e. better defender), but Lance has a pretty strong edge in rebounding and passing. They both turn the ball over at the same rate (literally, both are at 2.7 per game).

Okay, so let's look at their shooting stats.

Paul George: 43.2% fg, 37.2% from 3, 86.6% from the line.
Lance: 49.6% fg, 33.5% from 3, 70.3% from the line.

Paul George takes 17 field goal attempts per game (6 of them 3s), plus 6 free throw attempts.

Lance takes 11 field goal attempts per game (3 of them 3s), plus 3 free throw attempts.

They each play approximately the same number of minutes. So Paul George is better from 3 and from the line. Lance is better from 2 (in face, he shoots well over 50% if you discount his 3 point percentage). So Paul scores 22 points on 17 field goal attempts per game, while Lance scores 14 points on 11 field goal attempts per game. That gives both of them around 1.2pps, so they are about equally efficient. If you give Lance Stephenson the role on Boston that Paul George has now on Indiana, I think he would surpass Paul George statistically.

Although, admittedly, Paul George's defense doesn't show up in those numbers, but he's definitely a better defender than Lance. But Lance's isn't outright bad, and he has length and quickness for his position.

Good info that's pretty interesting stuff. I think lance also benifits from the system he is in defensively. But after seeing what Stevens did with Boston's d this year I would love to see what he would do with rondo Stephenson Parker Sullinger and Asik plus a solid bench

« Reply #9 on: March 06, 2014, 11:57:42 PM »

Offline More Banners

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 257
Well, I'd say that center and, given the opening caused by Bradley's RFA, SG positions are the ones looking for a player.

Who are the best SG and C available as free agents?

Without even looking at a list, I'd have to say that Stephenson is probably close to the top of SG's.  That would be a huge piece for us.

If there's any way to pull two near-stars in at BOTH spots, while keeping Rondo and (probably since it wouldn't be worth trading him) Green, and at least 1-2 of our rotation of solid PF's.

And so...coming from the thread on Pau Gasol...I wonder whether it would be possible to absorb PG into the TPE, and find a way to S&T enough for LS, to perhaps put us in the running as early as next season, while remaining under the tax line?

Rondo/Danny's Favorite Cheap Combo Guard/Pressey
Stephenson/2014 1st/veteran FA
Green/2014 1st/veteran FA
Sully/Bass/Wallace
PGasol/KO/Iverson/Fav

We're taking the savings from Hump and Bogans ourselves, or trading them for Stephenson or Gasol to match money or fill salary?  Humps spot can be filled with the TPE, and Bogans' spot by the draft pick.  OR, they could be traded, and the pick and TPE used as well, we could go over the cap, but have complementary pieces to contend.

One thing we can offer that is pretty cool is a number of picks very quickly, e.g. 3 1sts in 2 years.  A rebuilding team wouldn't want to have those stretched out every other year, would they?
« Last Edit: March 07, 2014, 12:05:01 AM by More Banners »

« Reply #10 on: March 07, 2014, 02:56:03 AM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867
Offseason moves edit

Draft

4) Parker/Wiggins
16) Saric

Lineup

Rondo brooks
Stephenson  brooks Saric
Parker/Wiggins  Saric
Asik Biyombo Olynk

What do ya think?

looks ok. But like people have said Stephenson likely not leaving Indy.  How about this full rebuild plan

Let Bayless and Humphries walk. Do not resign AB

Trade Rondo in a three way trade with Bobcats, Lakers
To Bobcats: Rondo
To Lakers: Walker, 24th pick
To Celtics: 6th pick

Trade Jeff Green, Sullinger for the 9th pick and Hayward (sign and trade)

2014 Draft picks
5th - Exum
6th - Vonleh
9th - Gordon
17th - Young

Starting Lineup

C- Vonleh, PF- Olynyk, SF - Gordon, SG- Hayward, PG- Exum

Bench

C- Iverson, Anthony PF - Bass, SF - Wallace, Babb
SG- Young , Johnson PG - Sessions (FA), Pressey

« Reply #11 on: March 07, 2014, 07:55:08 AM »

Offline CFAN38

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 420
pacers are not losing Stephenson for 9.5 mil a season. T Evans was just last off-season signed for 11.7.

Also with AB current injury status I have a feeling he will be resigned by the Cs at a reasonable contract and one cheap enough to allow him to possibly assume the role of 6th man depending on how the offseason goes.
« Last Edit: March 07, 2014, 08:20:57 AM by CFAN38 »
Mavs
Wiz
Hornet

« Reply #12 on: March 07, 2014, 09:12:33 AM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047
Offseason moves edit

Draft

4) Parker/Wiggins
16) Saric

Lineup

Rondo brooks
Stephenson  brooks Saric
Parker/Wiggins  Saric
Asik Biyombo Olynk

What do ya think?

looks ok. But like people have said Stephenson likely not leaving Indy.  How about this full rebuild plan

2014 Draft picks
5th - Exum
6th - Vonleh
9th - Gordon
17th - Young

Starting Lineup

Bench

we'd suck for years.  no thanks.

again, bad trade for Rondo.  you're shipping out an all-star PG for a player you hope turns out to be as good as him and those are high hopes.

Green > Hayward.  Sully > 9th pick.  Gordon won't be as good as Sully is now.

Vonleh is a bit short to be a Center.  he's more of a 4/5 that will need several years to develop, if he ever does.

KO has to bulk up.  you're assuming this will happen.

Exum would be a rookie PG that hasn't even played against college players.  he's going to have a big learning curve and need several years to develop, especially since his 'mentor' is now Ramon Sessions.

just say no to this unless your plan is to tank for the next 5 years.

« Reply #13 on: March 07, 2014, 10:37:38 AM »

Offline djbilly33

• Kristaps Porzingis
  • Tommy Points: 11
Bring Peirce back next year as a veteran 3/4th option

« Reply #14 on: March 07, 2014, 01:04:33 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867
Offseason moves edit

Draft

4) Parker/Wiggins
16) Saric

Lineup

Rondo brooks
Stephenson  brooks Saric
Parker/Wiggins  Saric
Asik Biyombo Olynk

What do ya think?

2014 Draft picks
5th - Exum
6th - Vonleh
9th - Gordon
17th - Young

Starting Lineup

Bench

we'd suck for years.  no thanks.

again, bad trade for Rondo.  you're shipping out an all-star PG for a player you hope turns out to be as good as him and those are high hopes.

Green > Hayward.  Sully > 9th pick.  Gordon won't be as good as Sully is now.

Vonleh is a bit short to be a Center.  he's more of a 4/5 that will need several years to develop, if he ever does.

KO has to bulk up.  you're assuming this will happen.

Exum would be a rookie PG that hasn't even played against college players.  he's going to have a big learning curve and need several years to develop, especially since his 'mentor' is now Ramon Sessions.

just say no to this unless your plan is to tank for the next 5 years.

I guess your a fan that rather draft nobody and make a trade for Love/Anthony

But if you go through the draft route and my idea is pretty much starting from scratch, you would have to be patient (imo not 5 years though).   Also you don't know how long the development might take. It could take one or two seasons, it could take longer or never. I mean the draft is always a risk. But this is a deep one and one would think the players within the lotto will be good sooner than later. 

Also i disgaree with Green > Hayward. It's arguable. Hayward at least is a consistent dangerous 3 pt shooter. I just like his game better and better to space out the floor.  Sullinger could be better or worse than the 9th pick, whether it be Gordon or not. If i had to choose between KO or Sullinger to be my future PF it would be KO.  Sullinger is a mini center, that is going to have good games but also bad ones.  Not going to be a consistent producer over a series of games