Author Topic: Would you trade both of our 2014 1st picks for Embiid  (Read 15362 times)

Re: Would you trade both of our 2014 1st picks for Embiid
« Reply #15 on: March 06, 2014, 09:03:52 AM »

Offline TwinTower14

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 48
not if one of them would get Wiggins or Parker and then the other team probably wouldn't do it.
Right.  If Ainge prefers Embid, he would make the offer though.
I don't know if he would.  Embiid has a lot more question marks, even with due diligence, he is a much riskier pick than Wiggins or Parker.  Now sure if you have the 1st pick, you probably go with Wiggins, but if you have 2 or 3, plus a pick around 15-18, I'm not so sure you trade them both for Embiid.  You would have to really be sold on Embiid and not sold at all on Wiggins and Parker to make that move.

I think it is much more likely that Ainge would just trade the picks for an established star than trade them for the unknown.

Just curious on what you think Embiid's question marks are? He is a 7'1 C, that runs like he is 6'5, a rock solid post game, passes out of the double team well, block shots and rebounds and shoots %70 from the line. Needs to get stronger but that's about it. I would say he has the least amount of question marks after Parker, with Embiid ceiling being much higher.  His skill set will play in the NBA very well, the development he has shown this year is remarkable!  I am willing to bet whoever gets the number 1 pick will select him, regardless of who they have at the position. 

« Reply #16 on: March 06, 2014, 09:06:48 AM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327
Embiid's question marks: limited time playing high level basketball, age (he's older than Parker/Wiggins he's a month younger than Nerlens Noel), and his back.

« Reply #17 on: March 06, 2014, 09:10:42 AM »

Offline TwinTower14

• Bill Walton
Embiid's question marks: limited time playing high level basketball, age (he's older than Parker/Wiggins he's a month younger than Nerlens Noel), and his back.

so basically he is a sophomore and not a freshman?  Don't really consider that a question mark, I think he has erased the limited  high level of basketball one.  Kansas has played the toughest schedule in America and he has been pretty dominate.  The back could be a concern but I am sure they are just holding him out for precautionary but once a pro training staff gets their hands on him, he will be fine. 

« Reply #18 on: March 06, 2014, 09:12:35 AM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell

so basically he is a sophomore and not a freshman?  Don't really consider that a question mark, I think he has erased the limited basketball one.  Kansas has played the toughest schedule in America and he has been pretty dominate.  The back could be a concern but I am sure they are just holding him out for precautionary but once a pro training staff gets their hands on him, he will be fine.
He's a freshman, but he'll be turning 20 soon. Most freshman are 18 turning 19.

Limited basketball means limited sample size of material to evaluate him, and his back might be nothing. Or he could have a medical red flag on the level of Sullinger right now we don't know.

« Reply #19 on: March 06, 2014, 09:13:07 AM »

Offline sofutomygaha

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 343
If we're looking at a 5-8 range pick (I'm thinking of Smart, Gordon, Vonleh), paired with a 15-20 range pick, then yes I would trade.

If that second pick were in the 10-15 range, though, where it might net us someone like Dario Saric or Rodney Hood, I think I'd keep my picks.

« Reply #20 on: March 06, 2014, 09:14:51 AM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1533
I think you hit the major 3, but he also isn't exactly dominating college players, is only playing 23 minutes a night, isn't a superb rebounder (for his size and being in college), doesn't have much in the way of post moves, etc.

Don't get me wrong, I'd take him with the 1st pick because I think you have to given what he might someday become, but he has a ton of question marks.  More than any player currently in college in this draft in my opinion. 

EDIT: He might very well turn into the next Hakeem or he might become the next Olowokandi.  You just don't know with someone with as little basketball experience as he has, especially if his back is really a problem.  Again I take him #1, but I don't think I'm trading Parker or Wiggins plus someone like Cauley-Stein or TJ Warren for him.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #21 on: March 06, 2014, 09:19:15 AM »

Offline TwinTower14

• Bill Walton

so basically he is a sophomore and not a freshman?  Don't really consider that a question mark, I think he has erased the limited basketball one.  Kansas has played the toughest schedule in America and he has been pretty dominate.  The back could be a concern but I am sure they are just holding him out for precautionary but once a pro training staff gets their hands on him, he will be fine.

Limited basketball means limited sample size of material to evaluate him, and his back might be nothing. Or he could have a medical red flag on the level of Sullinger right now we don't know.

Sorry, being 20 is not a question mark.  Your other points are valid...

« Reply #22 on: March 06, 2014, 09:20:19 AM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
I think you hit the major 3, but he also isn't exactly dominating college players, is only playing 23 minutes a night, isn't a superb rebounder (for his size and being in college), doesn't have much in the way of post moves, etc.

Don't get me wrong, I'd take him with the 1st pick because I think you have to given what he might someday become, but he has a ton of question marks.  More than any player currently in college in this draft in my opinion.
He's rebounding at a level comparable with Sullinger and Anthony Davis, so I'm not worried about him on that point.

« Reply #23 on: March 06, 2014, 09:21:18 AM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell

Age absolutely matters when it comes to draft potential, stock, and projections.

« Reply #24 on: March 06, 2014, 09:25:08 AM »

Offline TwinTower14

• Bill Walton

EDIT: He might very well turn into the next Hakeem or he might become the next Olowokandi.  You just don't know with someone with as little basketball experience as he has, especially if his back is really a problem.  Again I take him #1, but I don't think I'm trading Parker or Wiggins plus someone like Cauley-Stein or TJ Warren for him.

I don't want to come across as a jerk but you saying he doesn't have much of post moves, makes me think you haven't watched him play much?  He has tremendous footwork and I have seen him use both hands in the post.  Very advanced for a guy that has only been playing hoops for 3 years..

On the stats front - you have to remember that he is playing with 3 other first round picks on his team.  All guys that score.  He could rebound better but he will, I feel that he is the safest pick after parker but with much higher potential.

« Reply #25 on: March 06, 2014, 09:25:49 AM »

Offline TwinTower14

• Bill Walton

Age absolutely matters when it comes to draft potential, stock, and projections.

not when a guy has only been playing for 3 years...that erases it for me.  Especially when we are talking about one year...

« Reply #26 on: March 06, 2014, 09:32:01 AM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1533

I don't want to come across as a jerk but you saying he doesn't have much of post moves, makes me think you haven't watched him play much?  He has tremendous footwork and I have seen him use both hands in the post.  Very advanced for a guy that has only been playing hoops for 3 years..

On the stats front - you have to remember that he is playing with 3 other first round picks on his team.  All guys that score.  He could rebound better but he will, I feel that he is the safest pick after parker but with much higher potential.
I've seen him play a fair amount.  He is quick, but he doesn't have the power or strength at this point.  He has a very small frame for his height and I'd have real concerns about his durability, especially down low, and especially given he already has back issues.  He isn't a great jump shooter so he can't play outside and will have to be in the post.  He can certainly grow into his frame some, but that is where age starts to come in because he is older and thus is more developed physically.

Look, I would take him #1, but I just wouldn't trade for him for Wiggins/Parker plus someone like Cauley-Stein/Warren. 
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #27 on: March 06, 2014, 09:39:23 AM »

Offline TwinTower14

• Bill Walton

I've seen him play a fair amount.  He is quick, but he doesn't have the power or strength at this point.  He has a very small frame for his height and I'd have real concerns about his durability, especially down low, and especially given he already has back issues.  He isn't a great jump shooter so he can't play outside and will have to be in the post.  He can certainly grow into his frame some, but that is where age starts to come in because he is older and thus is more developed physically.

Look, I would take him #1, but I just wouldn't trade for him for Wiggins/Parker plus someone like Cauley-Stein/Warren.

I agree with that, I wouldn't trade for him if those other guys are on the board either.  I just don't think he has many question marks and his game is pretty polished for a guy that has been playing for 3 years.  It shows his ability to take coaching which is a huge plus for me...

« Reply #28 on: March 06, 2014, 09:47:15 AM »

Offline Evantime34

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 764
  • Eagerly Awaiting the Next Fantasy Draft

I don't agree with the small frame. His core looks like it is slight but he has very broad shoulders which points to a good chance to gain muscle. More importantly he already is pretty big at 7'0 250 but I bet he will put on 10-15 more lbs of muscle as his career develops. I think his problem is a lack of positioning more than a lack of strength, having played the game only a short time he isn't always in the right spot or body position to maximize his strength, this is easily correctable at the next level.

At the very least he will come in and immediately block shots rebound and run the floor. In a short amount of time you will be able to kick the ball in the post and demand double teams, leaving shooters open. As shot creation and defense at the 5 have been our biggest weaknesses a player who can defend the rim and create open shots off post touches would be perfect, both now and for a long time to come.
DKC:  Rockets
CB Draft: Memphis Grizz
Players: Klay Thompson, Jabari Parker, Aaron Gordon
Next 3 picks: 4.14, 4.15, 4.19

« Reply #29 on: March 06, 2014, 10:38:47 AM »

Offline celtic -_- pride

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 60
  • Stuff & Things
its frustrating to think that ping pong balls are going to make or break this team
[img width= height=]http://s7.postimg.org/jsyw5qrez/banner.jpg[/img]