Author Topic: Asik using the trade exception?  (Read 13534 times)

Re: Asik using the trade exception?
« Reply #15 on: March 04, 2014, 02:52:05 PM »

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 642
For a while now I have thought that Danny and Morey have a sort of agreement that if nothing better comes along, they will agree to trade the Nets/Atlanta pick for Asik, and it would be agreed upon on draft day, but completed in July, so the C's stay under the tax.

Wow. That would be a very solid move. And perhaps it makes sense for both sides. It certainly looks good for boston, it gives them a big defensive center, filling the hardest position to fill in the NBA. Sullinger gets to actually learn the PF position. The celtics would win a bunch more games as they would suddenly have size, a healthy Rondo, retain green, bass and olynyk, and add a high lottery talent. Meanwhile if the celtics dont like what they see, they can still hit the reset button in free agency in 2015.

Can houston do better than a pick around 18  and a trade exception? Perhaps not. 15 million is a lot for another team to swallow. And asik could bolt the new team the following summer.

A lot depends on how Asik finished the year.  But I think that is the type of deal they would be looking for.  And if they can also find a team to take Lin, then they could be looking at max cap space to go after someone like Bosh. 

« Reply #16 on: March 04, 2014, 03:01:38 PM »

Offline BleedGreen1989

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 568
For a while now I have thought that Danny and Morey have a sort of agreement that if nothing better comes along, they will agree to trade the Nets/Atlanta pick for Asik, and it would be agreed upon on draft day, but completed in July, so the C's stay under the tax.

Wow. That would be a very solid move. And perhaps it makes sense for both sides. It certainly looks good for boston, it gives them a big defensive center, filling the hardest position to fill in the NBA. Sullinger gets to actually learn the PF position. The celtics would win a bunch more games as they would suddenly have size, a healthy Rondo, retain green, bass and olynyk, and add a high lottery talent. Meanwhile if the celtics dont like what they see, they can still hit the reset button in free agency in 2015.

Can houston do better than a pick around 18  and a trade exception? Perhaps not. 15 million is a lot for another team to swallow. And asik could bolt the new team the following summer.

I tend to think if Morey could of gotten a 2014 first rounder and a large TPE, he would of already moved Asik.
*CB Miami Heat*
Kyle Lowry, Dwayne Wade, 13th pick in even numbered rounds, 18th pick in odd numbered rounds.

« Reply #17 on: March 04, 2014, 03:04:19 PM »

Offline Lucky17

• DKC Commish
  • JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 2352

I tend to think if Morey could of gotten a 2014 first rounder and a large TPE, he would of already moved Asik.

Perhaps Ainge wasn't willing to acquire Asik in season and compromise a bottom-5 finish.
DKC League is now on reddit!: http://www.reddit.com/r/dkcleague

« Reply #18 on: March 04, 2014, 03:09:09 PM »

Offline BleedGreen1989

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 568

Perhaps Ainge wasn't willing to acquire Asik in season and compromise a bottom-5 finish.

I absolutely think that's a strong possibility and I think it's the right move by Ainge.
*CB Miami Heat*
Kyle Lowry, Dwayne Wade, 13th pick in even numbered rounds, 18th pick in odd numbered rounds.

« Reply #19 on: March 04, 2014, 03:17:31 PM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1834

Based on what report? Or just a gut feel?

« Reply #20 on: March 04, 2014, 03:30:35 PM »

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Dennis Johnson

No, he wasn't willing to go into the luxury tax this season, for a lottery team.  The C's really needed to stay out of the tax this year to avoid the repeaters tax.

Based on what report? Or just a gut feel?

Gut feeling, various reports, and a quote Danny made right at the deadline when he said (I am paraphrasing) that the deals they could have made now, will still be available this summer.  Plus, just common sense.

It made no sense for either team to make that deal now.  For the C's, it would potentially hurt their tanking, while putting them well over the tax line.  And for Houston, they lose a potentially valuable piece to their playoff roster without getting any pieces back to help them this year. 

This deal makes much more sense in the summer.

« Reply #21 on: March 04, 2014, 04:02:02 PM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2619

The point is the Celtics couldn't offer the TPE and a 2014 first for Asik this season, as Asik's salary would have pushed them over the hard cap unless they sent back about $3 million in salary, and pushed them over the luxury tax unless they sent back about $7 million.  I do agree Morey would have done that trade if it were able to be offered, but most teams don't have that kind of room mid-season.  They do at the draft and in the offseason.

« Reply #22 on: March 04, 2014, 04:02:46 PM »

Offline Lucky17

• DKC Commish
  • JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 2352

No, he wasn't willing to go into the luxury tax this season, for a lottery team.  The C's really needed to stay out of the tax this year to avoid the repeaters tax.

Absolutely right.
DKC League is now on reddit!: http://www.reddit.com/r/dkcleague

« Reply #23 on: March 04, 2014, 05:16:10 PM »

Offline snively

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 454
I think drafting a guy for a trade that can't be completed until a week or two later is exceptionally rare. 

It would make more sense to me if it was Asik for the TE, the Clips pick and the Philly pick.
2016 CelticsBlog Draft: Chicago Bulls

Head Coach: Fred Hoiberg

Starters: Rubio, Danny Green, Durant, Markieff Morris, Capela
Bench: Sessions, Shumpert, G. Green, T. Booker, Frye
Deep Bench: CJ Watson, H. Thompson, P. Zipser, Papagiannis, Mejri

« Reply #24 on: March 04, 2014, 05:23:39 PM »

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Dennis Johnson
I think drafting a guy for a trade that can't be completed until a week or two later is exceptionally rare. 

It would make more sense to me if it was Asik for the TE, the Clips pick and the Philly pick.

Not really.  Because the deal can be completely agreed upon because Asik is under contract.  Those kinds of deals happen plenty.  In fact, in Boston we saw a deal agreed upon before draft night (even if it didn't include a draft pick that year), that wasn't completed until July 15th (or whenever it was), when KG and Pierce when to Brooklyn.

It is in no way abnormal for teams to agree to trades on draft night that would be completed after July 1st.  It only gets messy when the deals include things like sign and trades.

Edit: and when you take into account that the GMs making the deal have a close working relationship, and are both known as guys who, while perhaps tight with their assets, work well with others to help manipulate the cap, then it removes the risks even more.

There are certain GMs who I think you would be more hesitant to make handshake agreements with, but I am pretty sure Ainge and Morey aren't those guys. 

« Reply #25 on: March 04, 2014, 05:45:20 PM »

Offline LooseCannon

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 950

The last time a guy was drafted for a trade that wasn't made official until a week or two later was....the Jrue Holiday trade.

It's probably going to be more common due to the new CBA because teams that are hard-capped due to receiving a player via sign-and-trade or using the full MLE will have to wait until after the July moratorium to execute certain transactions.
"The worst thing that ever happened in sports was sports radio, and the internet is sports radio on steroids with lower IQs.” -- Brian Burke, former Toronto Maple Leafs senior adviser, at the 2013 MIT Sloan Sports Analytics Conference

« Reply #26 on: March 05, 2014, 04:13:00 PM »

Offline Rondohara

• Sam Hauser
  • Tommy Points: 15
No giving up a first for (the expiring and expensive) Asik. We can likely use that in some better deal.
I'm not too sure if he is a guy we will want to have. It seems there will be lots of FA and trade available centers the next two years.
Goal for next season: Top 2 seed.
Say goodbye to: Turner, Zeller, Sully.

« Reply #27 on: March 05, 2014, 04:30:03 PM »

Online bdm860

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 4593

Someone help me out here.  Why couldn’t the trade be completed until a week or two after the draft?

After 18 months with their Bigs, the Littles were: 46% less likely to use illegal drugs, 27% less likely to use alcohol, 52% less likely to skip school, 37% less likely to skip a class

« Reply #28 on: March 05, 2014, 04:35:18 PM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327

Someone help me out here.  Why couldn’t the trade be completed until a week or two after the draft?
League moratorium on making trades or signing contracts after the draft would delay things.

« Reply #29 on: March 05, 2014, 04:35:41 PM »

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Dennis Johnson
No giving up a first for (the expiring and expensive) Asik. We can likely use that in some better deal.
I'm not too sure if he is a guy we will want to have. It seems there will be lots of FA and trade available centers the next two years.

I really doubt there will be other centers as good as Asik available in the next couple years for anywhere near just a mid first rounder. 

And, while Asik will be making a lot of money, his cap hit will be much smaller, which is more important from the basketball side (and luxury tax side), plus, on a one year deal, he won't be making much more than market value for a quality starting center. 

Well, the short answer is because if they wait until the new season, which starts in July, then the C's, who are right up against the luxury tax right now, but will be well below it next season, will not have to pay the luxury tax for this year.

Of course, its more complicated than that, because there is also a hard cap that the C's can't go past, and they would if they aquired Asik without sending additional salary this year, but that isn't even relevant, because we know the C's wouldn't go into the tax in this instance anyways.