Author Topic: Asik using the trade exception?  (Read 13529 times)

Asik using the trade exception?
« on: March 04, 2014, 01:29:32 PM »

Offline theham

• Xavier Tillman
  • Tommy Points: 3
Can the C's use their trade exception on Asik? I know he makes like $15 mil next year, but for cap purposes he only counts as 8 and change, I believe. Which figure counts in trades? The full 15 or just 8?

If just 8, he'd make a nice target using the trade exception. I bet we could get him for just a second rounder, as Houston would be psyched about the extra cap space (and a trade exception of their own?), especially after the little interest he received during the season...

Re: Asik using the trade exception?
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2014, 01:39:15 PM »

Offline D.o.s.

• NCE
  • Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 1239
Interested to see a definitive answer to this.

I'm pretty sure, though, that his cap hit will be for the full 15 million next season.
At least a goldfish with a Lincoln Log on its back goin' across your floor to your sock drawer has a miraculous connotation to it.

« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2014, 01:42:18 PM »

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 1615
  • What a Pub Should Be

I'm pretty sure, though, that his cap hit will be for the full 15 million next season.

Pretty sure it'll be for only $8.3 million.

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2014, 01:45:05 PM »

Offline theham

• Xavier Tillman
Would Houston then get a trade exception of their own?

« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2014, 01:49:33 PM »

Offline LooseCannon

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 950
It's possible.  And Houston would receive a trade exception.
"The worst thing that ever happened in sports was sports radio, and the internet is sports radio on steroids with lower IQs.” -- Brian Burke, former Toronto Maple Leafs senior adviser, at the 2013 MIT Sloan Sports Analytics Conference

« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2014, 01:52:07 PM »

Offline jambr380

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 1762
  • Everybody knows what's best for you
I believe this would work as Asik's cap number would fit into the exception amount, but I don't think Houston will bite unless they are also getting a first rounder. Lee, Bass, and a first could have really helped them this year and they reportedly didn't go for that so I don't know if just cap relief would be enough.

« Reply #6 on: March 04, 2014, 02:00:59 PM »

Offline theham

• Xavier Tillman
Seems like a financial flexibility in this case would be more valuable to a current title contender. Would presumably allow them to use their full mid-level, and conceivably add another critical piece during the season. Or they could just use the savings to extend Parsons...

« Reply #7 on: March 04, 2014, 02:02:20 PM »

Offline theham

• Xavier Tillman
Or perhaps the weird Philly package they got from GS would be sufficient?

« Reply #8 on: March 04, 2014, 02:04:56 PM »

Offline DavorCroatiaFan

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 97
Correct me if i'm wrong, but:
-trade exception can't be mixed with another player / pick
So we can't get Asik for TE and some draft pick.
I don't see why why would Houston trade Asik for TE...i believe because Asik will be expiring contract that Rockets would get better offers next trade deadline...
No1 Celtics fan in Croatia

« Reply #9 on: March 04, 2014, 02:07:24 PM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2619
Correct me if i'm wrong, but:
-trade exception can't be mixed with another player / pick
So we can't get Asik for TE and some draft pick.
I don't see why why would Houston trade Asik for TE...i believe because Asik will be expiring contract that Rockets would get better offers next trade deadline...

Correction:

Exceptions can't be combined with other exceptions or salaries.  Draft picks do not take up salaries.  (In addition, you could send other players back in simultaneous trades, but those work more difficultly.  Still possible tho).

« Reply #10 on: March 04, 2014, 02:11:32 PM »

Offline theham

• Xavier Tillman
Can't trade players, but can trade picks.

Good point on HOU using Asik in alternative trades, but that means they would have to take back roughly equal salary, which might not be as appealing as just a 2nd rounder or two (we know how good Morey is with those late picks, too). Plus Asik is by all accounts not happy in HOU and they may want to get rid of him when they can.

And if done prior to next season, they could use those savings to pick up someone else - maybe a Channing Frye as their coveted stretch four?

« Reply #11 on: March 04, 2014, 02:20:49 PM »

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 642
For a while now I have thought that Danny and Morey have a sort of agreement that if nothing better comes along, they will agree to trade the Nets/Atlanta pick for Asik, and it would be agreed upon on draft day, but completed in July, so the C's stay under the tax. 

« Reply #12 on: March 04, 2014, 02:42:51 PM »

Offline Mr October

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 247
For a while now I have thought that Danny and Morey have a sort of agreement that if nothing better comes along, they will agree to trade the Nets/Atlanta pick for Asik, and it would be agreed upon on draft day, but completed in July, so the C's stay under the tax.

Wow. That would be a very solid move. And perhaps it makes sense for both sides. It certainly looks good for boston, it gives them a big defensive center, filling the hardest position to fill in the NBA. Sullinger gets to actually learn the PF position. The celtics would win a bunch more games as they would suddenly have size, a healthy Rondo, retain green, bass and olynyk, and add a high lottery talent. Meanwhile if the celtics dont like what they see, they can still hit the reset button in free agency in 2015.

Can houston do better than a pick around 18  and a trade exception? Perhaps not. 15 million is a lot for another team to swallow. And asik could bolt the new team the following summer.

« Reply #13 on: March 04, 2014, 02:44:28 PM »

Offline BleedGreen1989

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 568

I share this opinion. I think it makes sense for a few reasons,

1. Danny and Daryl are close friends so a "wink wink" deal would be very easy.
2. It would allow Danny to see exactly where the ATL pick falls.
3. It wouldn't improve the team this season and continue to allow the Celtics to have good lottery position.
4. Ron Adams was Thibs assistant in Chicago and by all accounts him and Asik were very close.
5. Celtics can't continue to want to play Sullinger at the 5 and know its best for him to play next to a defensive 5.

Thy must be done.
*CB Miami Heat*
Kyle Lowry, Dwayne Wade, 13th pick in even numbered rounds, 18th pick in odd numbered rounds.

« Reply #14 on: March 04, 2014, 02:45:42 PM »

Offline D.o.s.

• NCE
  • Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 1239

Pretty sure it'll be for only $8.3 million.

TP, just checked again and you're right.
At least a goldfish with a Lincoln Log on its back goin' across your floor to your sock drawer has a miraculous connotation to it.