Author Topic: Would the Cavs S&T Deng for Green++?  (Read 6376 times)

Re: Would the Cavs S&T Deng for Green++?
« Reply #15 on: March 02, 2014, 07:31:19 PM »

Offline 2short

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 428
Right now deng is better at everything except scoring.  Question is how much better is he at these things compared to green?  Second part of question is how much more would you have to spend on
 Deng?
Too much.  Both are good complimentary pieces.  Deng should sign with clippers San Antonio etc.  a well rounded playoff team that can use a starting caliber sf. 

« Reply #16 on: March 02, 2014, 09:03:37 PM »

Offline BudweiserCeltic

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1818
Don't see the point or the need.

« Reply #17 on: March 02, 2014, 09:44:48 PM »

Offline LooseCannon

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 950
I defy you to show me ONE OTHER marquee free agent they have signed (classified as a player averaging over 10 rebounds or over 15 ppg).

Andrew Bynum?
"The worst thing that ever happened in sports was sports radio, and the internet is sports radio on steroids with lower IQs.” -- Brian Burke, former Toronto Maple Leafs senior adviser, at the 2013 MIT Sloan Sports Analytics Conference

« Reply #18 on: March 02, 2014, 10:14:13 PM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2619
This team is too far from contending to use a guy like Deng right now.  If they were one piece away, he'd be great.  Right now he'd waste away a bit on the Celtics while taking in a large chunk of salary and driving many Celtics fans nuts.  Essentially, a better Jeff Green.

There are a lot of great free agent centers (Hibbert, Chandler, Gasol) available in 2015. If we could lock up Deng and Rondo for a few years, draft a high caliber 2 guard, and make do with the Sullinger/Olynyk combination at PF, why couldn't we be back in contention in 2015?

Where's the money coming from for one of those free agent centers?

Figure we are at $50M with Rondo maxed, $12.5 in Luol Deng, and $12M in first rounders. Tax line is probs what, $80M at that point? I think there's space for another max deal and a few more pieces. Wallace comes off the books the following year, and then we can re-sign Olynyk/Sully.

If you're signing a free agent, the applicable line is the salary cap, not the luxury tax.  An aggressive estimate would put that closer to $65 million.

The other option will be for the Celtics to work out a S&T for said center using Wallace's (finally) expiring contract as the primary salary equalizer, but that will require some significant compensation to the player's original team, or a third team willing to take Wallace, on top of the compensation to the team losing the center -- assuming said team is willing to participate in a sign-and-trade at all.  It's not impossible, but getting that center in 2015 via free agency is not going to be a slam dunk.

Mind you, I'm still pro signing Deng for 3-4 years at $11-12 million per year.  I like Jeff and all, but I think Deng is an upgrade and worth it (when the alternative is 1-2 more years of Green at $9.2 million per year).  Of course, if we draft Wiggins or Parker, then that's a different story.