Author Topic: Would the Cavs S&T Deng for Green++?  (Read 6378 times)

Would the Cavs S&T Deng for Green++?
« on: March 02, 2014, 02:22:23 PM »

Offline jaketwice

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 102
Pretty simple question. Cleveland is a horror show and won't sign any quality free agents in the off season - including Deng. Jeff Green is locked up for 3 years. He's a good guy, good player - just inconsistent.

Do we have, within our current roster, the ability to S&T Jeff Green to the Cavs for Luol Deng (assuming he wanted to play here) assuming Deng at say $34/$35M over 4 years?

Re: Would the Cavs S&T Deng for Green++?
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2014, 02:28:30 PM »

Offline indeedproceed

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2756
  • You ain't the boss of the freakin' bedclothes.
Pretty simple question. Cleveland is a horror show and won't sign any quality free agents in the off season - including Deng. Jeff Green is locked up for 3 years. He's a good guy, good player - just inconsistent.

Do we have, within our current roster, the ability to S&T Jeff Green to the Cavs for Luol Deng (assuming he wanted to play here) assuming Deng at say $34/$35M over 4 years?

I think if that could be done, it'd be a fantastic coupe. But, IIRC, Deng already refused overtures of a $10m per figure extension from the Bulls. I doubt he'd be down for 8 million per from us.

And therein lies the rub. If we wanted to S&T Deng using Bogans and Green, and sign him to the amount he wants, which I'm figuring to be around 12-15m per over 4 years, I don't think I'd want to be the team left holding the bag in years 3 or 4 of that extension.

"You've gotta respect a 15-percent 3-point shooter. A guy
like that is always lethal." - Evan 'The God' Turner

« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2014, 03:15:44 PM »

Offline jaketwice

• Bill Walton

I think if that could be done, it'd be a fantastic coupe. But, IIRC, Deng already refused overtures of a $10m per figure extension from the Bulls. I doubt he'd be down for 8 million per from us.

And therein lies the rub. If we wanted to S&T Deng using Bogans and Green, and sign him to the amount he wants, which I'm figuring to be around 12-15m per over 4 years, I don't think I'd want to be the team left holding the bag in years 3 or 4 of that extension.

Oh DUH. I meant to say $34/35 over THREE years, not four.

That works out to, like $11.5/season, which seems more reasonable to me than $15M. He seems like he would fit well with Rondo, plays D, decent 3P shooter, top 10 FG% for SFs.

Then all you have to do is take either Sullinger or Olynyk from starting for an A+ Center, and get an all star shooting guard. SIMPLE RIGHT? lol.

« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2014, 03:35:24 PM »

Online hpantazo

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 2704
I think if we pay Deng the money he would want, the Cavs would do it for Green and Bogans. The question is, should we pay Deng that type of money without having other star players in place other than Rondo to contend? I say no.

« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2014, 03:52:07 PM »

Offline Rakulp

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 78
What has Jeff done to us that would warrant such a trade to a desolate place like Cleveland?

Seems that when a Celtic is traded (at least those who can be important parts to a team, not just filler), it's to teams that have "potential".  Lee to Memphis as an example.

Why would you doom Jeff to years of mediocrity there when he can be part of the same here?

(/tongue in cheek mode ;) )

Rak

« Reply #5 on: March 02, 2014, 03:55:38 PM »

Offline jaketwice

• Bill Walton
I think if we pay Deng the money he would want, the Cavs would do it for Green and Bogans. The question is, should we pay Deng that type of money without having other star players in place other than Rondo to contend? I say no.

I am not sure Cleveland would do it.

...I think it's a "how fast can we contend?" question. I think we could be back in it in two years, if we can get Wiggins or Parker, and have them play star player shooting guard for us.

Let's just say: Rondo, Wiggins, Deng (CENTER TO BE NAMED LATER) Sullinger/Olynyk. Backup for both guards is Bradley.

Isn't that a pretty good team?

« Reply #6 on: March 02, 2014, 03:58:09 PM »

Online hpantazo

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 2704

...I think it's a "how fast can we contend?" question. I think we could be back in it in two years, if we can get Wiggins or Parker, and have them play star player shooting guard for us.

Let's just say: Rondo, Wiggins, Deng (CENTER TO BE NAMED LATER) Sullinger/Olynyk. Backup for both guards is Bradley.

I think Cleveland does it because Deng is leaving Cleveland anyway. I agree that it's about how fast we can contend. A lot rides on the draft lottery.

« Reply #7 on: March 02, 2014, 04:23:46 PM »

Offline indeedproceed

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2756
  • You ain't the boss of the freakin' bedclothes.

I think Cleveland does it because Deng is leaving Cleveland anyway. I agree that it's about how fast we can contend. A lot rides on the draft lottery.

It'll be a pretty hilarious scenario when CLE message boards are wondering, "Could we get Jeff Green and the Celtics lottery pick for Luol Deng and Dion Waiters?"

"You've gotta respect a 15-percent 3-point shooter. A guy
like that is always lethal." - Evan 'The God' Turner

« Reply #8 on: March 02, 2014, 04:26:46 PM »

Online Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 1619
  • What a Pub Should Be
This team is too far from contending to use a guy like Deng right now.  If they were one piece away, he'd be great.  Right now he'd waste away a bit on the Celtics while taking in a large chunk of salary and driving many Celtics fans nuts.  Essentially, a better Jeff Green.

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #9 on: March 02, 2014, 05:08:31 PM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
Why would we do it?   We would not.

« Reply #10 on: March 02, 2014, 05:28:56 PM »

Offline jaketwice

• Bill Walton
This team is too far from contending to use a guy like Deng right now.  If they were one piece away, he'd be great.  Right now he'd waste away a bit on the Celtics while taking in a large chunk of salary and driving many Celtics fans nuts.  Essentially, a better Jeff Green.

There are a lot of great free agent centers (Hibbert, Chandler, Gasol) available in 2015. If we could lock up Deng and Rondo for a few years, draft a high caliber 2 guard, and make do with the Sullinger/Olynyk combination at PF, why couldn't we be back in contention in 2015?

« Reply #11 on: March 02, 2014, 05:32:30 PM »

Online Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 1619
  • What a Pub Should Be

There are a lot of great free agent centers (Hibbert, Chandler, Gasol) available in 2015. If we could lock up Deng and Rondo for a few years, draft a high caliber 2 guard, and make do with the Sullinger/Olynyk combination at PF, why couldn't we be back in contention in 2015?

Where's the money coming from for one of those free agent centers?

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #12 on: March 02, 2014, 05:45:11 PM »

Offline jaketwice

• Bill Walton
Quote from: IndeedProceed link=topic=69971.msg1632748#msg1632748

It'll be a pretty hilarious scenario when CLE message boards are wondering, "Could we get Jeff Green and the Celtics lottery pick for Luol Deng and Dion Waiters?"

There are multiple reports suggesting that Deng will never sign with Cleveland. They dropped what, three draft picks to get him? And to what end? Why would a free agent sign in Cleveland? It's a boring, ugly city with declining industry.

Consider: LeBron James is FROM Cleveland, and left. What does that say about that town?

You know who the last marquee free agent they signed was? Larry Hughes... ...in 2004. They paid him $70M for a 5 year deal. Do you think then 9-10 year vet Larry Hughes was worth $15M/per? I defy you to show me ONE OTHER marquee free agent they have signed (classified as a player averaging over 10 rebounds or over 15 ppg).

They should thank their lucky stars if they get anything for Luol Deng.
« Last Edit: March 02, 2014, 05:51:33 PM by jaketwice »

« Reply #13 on: March 02, 2014, 05:49:04 PM »

Offline jaketwice

• Bill Walton

Where's the money coming from for one of those free agent centers?

Figure we are at $50M with Rondo maxed, $12.5 in Luol Deng, and $12M in first rounders. Tax line is probs what, $80M at that point? I think there's space for another max deal and a few more pieces. Wallace comes off the books the following year, and then we can re-sign Olynyk/Sully.

« Reply #14 on: March 02, 2014, 06:43:26 PM »

Offline bleedGREENdon

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 29
I'd actually rather keep green tbh Deng doesn't have any 30 point games, green gives that on occasion. Green honestly in two years when we are contending will be a better defender then Deng, Deng is getting older, and is meant for a contending team NOW.