Author Topic: 2014 Pick 2: General Commentary  (Read 262131 times)

Re: 2014 Pick 2: General Commentary
« Reply #720 on: March 12, 2014, 01:42:46 PM »

Offline pearljammer10

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 885
Seeing as this is a bit of an experimental year, I've been considering a small addition to the end of the draft that I would like feedback on.

I propose having a round of voting for superlatives. There will be a set number of categories, and each GM can vote for a team that matches each superlative by sending a PM to me (can't vote for your own team of course).

The advantage of superlatives is that there are no defined "losers," preserving the laid-back atmosphere of the Pick 2 going forward in future years.

Categories could include:
Best overall team
Team of the future
Best defensive team
Best offensive team
Most athletic team

If you think this is a good or bad idea, please reply to this post saying so.

Love it.

« Reply #721 on: March 12, 2014, 01:45:20 PM »

Offline airbelinelli

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 71
  • Derrick Rose is year-to-year
Mr. Young Nick,

While it may have been a bit early to grab him, he does have ridiculous potential and I think hes a good fit with my team. He's not going to be asked to do a lot, he'd get minutes when Iggy is sitting and has the length needed to be a force on defense while running the break and getting passes from Curry.

With the horford injury, I kinda took myself out of win now mode, so getting potentially the best player in albeit a weak draft class is a pretty good nab for me.
CB Draft: Golden State Warriors - 14.23
PG: Bledsoe/Lin/ Harris
SG: Beal/ Henderson/ Ingram
SF: Winslow/McDermott/
PF: Turner/ Acy / Hernangomez
C: Adams/ Turner/ McRoberts
DKC Nets: http://tinyurl.com/h5mdvwj

« Reply #722 on: March 12, 2014, 01:47:16 PM »

Offline indeedproceed

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2756
  • You ain't the boss of the freakin' bedclothes.
Portland should love it, they're front and center for best overall.

"You've gotta respect a 15-percent 3-point shooter. A guy
like that is always lethal." - Evan 'The God' Turner

« Reply #723 on: March 12, 2014, 01:50:46 PM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25628
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
I'd recommend against any superlatives. The thing that sets Pick 2 apart, and that keeps it "chill", is that there's no competition at all. I would hate to see that change. People can discuss their teams and their favorites, but I don't think there should be a "winner" or a "best".

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #724 on: March 12, 2014, 01:53:02 PM »

Offline pearljammer10

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 885

Exactly.

« Reply #725 on: March 12, 2014, 01:55:56 PM »

Offline rondoallaturca

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 350
  • DKC Memphis Grizzlies

That's what happens when you consolidate for more top tier talent in a deep draft. If I had the time early on, I would have pushed for something similar.

« Reply #726 on: March 12, 2014, 01:56:23 PM »

Offline fairweatherfan

• Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 2365
  • Be the posts you wish to see in the world.

Or considered better the DeAndre

In the very first Pick 2 draft (2010?) I took DeAndre around now and it was generally criticized as a reach.  Meanwhile Javale was actually a keeper once or twice.

Well, in a draft where a guy like Wade ends up not a keeper, I'm not sure how much this proves.

I've never liked McGee.

EDIT: Not saying it's a bad pick for this stage of the game.

No worries, I don't really like McGee either.  But he still has too much potential to pass on this late in the draft.

« Reply #727 on: March 12, 2014, 01:59:16 PM »

Offline fairweatherfan

• Johnny Most
I'd recommend against any superlatives. The thing that sets Pick 2 apart, and that keeps it "chill", is that there's no competition at all. I would hate to see that change. People can discuss their teams and their favorites, but I don't think there should be a "winner" or a "best".

I agree with this, one of the reasons I really like this draft and don't care for the CB draft is that I can just put together a team I like instead of worrying about impressing anybody.  Which is good since nobody seems too impressed with the new-look Celtics.   :)

« Reply #728 on: March 12, 2014, 02:04:14 PM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith

I agree with this, one of the reasons I really like this draft and don't care for the CB draft is that I can just put together a team I like instead of worrying about impressing anybody.  Which is good since nobody seems too impressed with the new-look Celtics.   :)

Other than McGee, I'd like watching the Pick 2 Celtics play.  Heck, I think I could even wrap my head around rooting for Gerald again.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #729 on: March 12, 2014, 02:05:56 PM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
The Los Angeles Clippers select JR Smith.

Based on where he would have been taken at the beginning of the season, Smith is one of the biggest fallers.

« Reply #730 on: March 12, 2014, 02:06:06 PM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047

I think they're better than the current-reality Celtics.  take that for what it's worth though

« Reply #731 on: March 12, 2014, 02:06:57 PM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047
The Los Angeles Clippers select JR Smith.

Based on where he would have been taken at the beginning of the season, Smith is one of the biggest fallers.
agreed, probably the biggest dropper for non-injury reasons

« Reply #732 on: March 12, 2014, 02:07:33 PM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
Seeing as this is a bit of an experimental year, I've been considering a small addition to the end of the draft that I would like feedback on.

I propose having a round of voting for superlatives. There will be a set number of categories, and each GM can vote for a team that matches each superlative by sending a PM to me (can't vote for your own team of course).

The advantage of superlatives is that there are no defined "losers," preserving the laid-back atmosphere of the Pick 2 going forward in future years.

Categories could include:
Best overall team
Team of the future
Best defensive team
Best offensive team
Most athletic team

If you think this is a good or bad idea, please reply to this post saying so.

Good idea. Why not throw in some more exotic categories, such as Craziest Team, Team Most Likely to Get in a Fight, or Most Hate-able Team (Hi Miami)?

I do think that these are both good ideas to incorporate into the CB Draft, perhaps to make it feel less "winner take all".

« Reply #733 on: March 12, 2014, 02:08:16 PM »

Offline rondoallaturca

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 350
  • DKC Memphis Grizzlies
Still looking to trade for one of the remaining picks this round.

« Reply #734 on: March 12, 2014, 02:09:09 PM »

Offline fairweatherfan

• Johnny Most

I think they're better than the current-reality Celtics.  take that for what it's worth though

With 20 teams I think everyone's solidly better than their real-life equivalents.  But thanks!