Author Topic: 2014 Pick 2: General Commentary  (Read 260455 times)

Re: 2014 Pick 2: General Commentary
« Reply #645 on: March 10, 2014, 09:31:58 PM »

Offline Yoki_IsTheName

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1304
  • I'm a Paul Heyman guy.
Houston after round 4

Bledsoe
Harden
Pierce
David Lee
Howard
Tony Allen

While Tony Allen brings in more defense, IMO he's not enough to move the needle.

But Houston is very good enough to start with, so there's no harm there. I still think Harden, Pierce and Lee would need help form Dwight, and that's too much to cover. But offensively, they'll kill you in any ways possible.

TA will solve some defensive issued in the wing of course, but at the expense of offense.

Still a formidable team. A team that may allow 110 points, but will score 118.
2019 CStrong Historical Draft 2000s OKC Thunder.
PG: Jrue Holiday / Isaiah Thomas / Larry Hughes
SG: Paul George / Aaron McKie / Bradley Beal
SF: Paul Pierce / Tayshaun Prince / Brian Scalabrine
PF: LaMarcus Aldridge / Shareef Abdur-Raheem / Ben Simmons
C: Jermaine O'neal / Ben Wallace

« Reply #646 on: March 10, 2014, 09:50:54 PM »

Offline indeedproceed

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2756
  • You ain't the boss of the freakin' bedclothes.
Houston after round 4

Bledsoe
Harden
Pierce
David Lee
Howard
Tony Allen

While Tony Allen brings in more defense, IMO he's not enough to move the needle.

But Houston is very good enough to start with, so there's no harm there. I still think Harden, Pierce and Lee would need help form Dwight, and that's too much to cover. But offensively, they'll kill you in any ways possible.

TA will solve some defensive issued in the wing of course, but at the expense of offense.

Pierce is holding opposing small forwards to an 11.8 PER. David Lee is a little worse off, but he's right at about league average. Think you're over estimating the liability there.

"You've gotta respect a 15-percent 3-point shooter. A guy
like that is always lethal." - Evan 'The God' Turner

« Reply #647 on: March 10, 2014, 09:57:18 PM »

Offline Yoki_IsTheName

• Ed Macauley
  • I'm a Paul Heyman guy.
Houston after round 4

Bledsoe
Harden
Pierce
David Lee
Howard
Tony Allen

Pierce is holding opposing small forwards to an 11.8 PER. David Lee is a little worse off, but he's right at about league average. Think you're over estimating the liability there.

Guess I did.

I still cringe every time Lee doesn't even bother challenging layups. But I can't deny the numbers.

I guess I overlooked Pierce, point taken.

Please tell me I'm right about Harden though... ;D

« Reply #648 on: March 10, 2014, 10:15:59 PM »

Offline AB_Celtic

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 460
Pick 2 'cers

Likely going with a short rotation like the one below.

PG: Jose Calderon / (??)
SG: Lance Stephenson / [Paul George] / (??)
SF: Paul George / [Thaddeus Young]
PF: Thaddeus Young / Kevin Garnett
C: Roy Hibbert / [Kevin Garnett] / (??)
« Last Edit: March 10, 2014, 11:28:30 PM by AB_Celtic »

« Reply #649 on: March 10, 2014, 11:36:38 PM »

Offline pearljammer10

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 885
Houston after round 4

Bledsoe
Harden
Pierce
David Lee
Howard
Tony Allen

Guess I did.

I still cringe every time Lee doesn't even bother challenging layups. But I can't deny the numbers.

With Howard anchoring, Allen in the DPOY discussion almost every year, and a wise (even if slow) Pierce holding opposing sf's nicely I have a hard time thinking they would let up 110 points a game... More like 90 to 93 from my eyes.

« Reply #650 on: March 11, 2014, 12:03:05 AM »

Offline BigAlTheFuture

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 458
I don't see how defense is an issue. No opposing guards are getting easy buckets with Bledsoe and Allen. Dwight Howard is the best defensive anchor there is in the league and Pierce can still hold his own against any wings in the NBA. Harden and Lee are the only "weak" defenders I suppose, but with Howard next Lee, and Harden getting help from Bledsoe, Allen, and Pierce, I doubt that would even be an issue.
PHX Suns: Russell Westbrook, Chris Bosh, Tristan Thompson, Trevor Ariza, Tony Allen, Trey Lyles, Corey Brewer, Larry Nance Jr., Trey Burke, Troy Daniels, Joffrey Lauvergne, Justin Holiday, Mike Muscala, 14.6

« Reply #651 on: March 11, 2014, 12:09:49 AM »

Offline Merovech

• Brad Stevens
  • Tommy Points: 46
Houston after round 4

Bledsoe
Harden
Pierce
David Lee
Howard
Tony Allen

Guess I did.

With Howard anchoring, Allen in the DPOY discussion almost every year, and a wise (even if slow) Pierce holding opposing sf's nicely I have a hard time thinking they would let up 110 points a game... More like 90 to 93 from my eyes.

I'm thinking that it would probably be somewhere in the middle, like 100ppg, and dependent on whether the other team can take advantage of Harden's below-average defense or tries to go up against Howard. The more that you play Tony Allen, of course, the more that this number goes down, but I think that you're offense would fall faster.  I wouldn't want to play Allen too much in your line-up, though I guess he's great to spell Pierce as long as someone is in to provide spacing and prevent Allen from attempting more than a minimum of shots.  Anyway, I really like most of your picks.
2014 Pick 2 OKC Thunder
PG: Russell Westbrook
SG: Jeremy Lamb / Jodie Meeks
SF: Kevin Durant
PF: Taj Gibson / Derrick Favors
C: Greg Monroe / Brandan Wright
7.19, 8.19, 9.19, 10.19

« Reply #652 on: March 11, 2014, 12:12:31 AM »

Offline Yoki_IsTheName

• Ed Macauley
  • I'm a Paul Heyman guy.
I don't see how defense is an issue. No opposing guards are getting easy buckets with Bledsoe and Allen. Dwight Howard is the best defensive anchor there is in the league and Pierce can still hold his own against any wings in the NBA. Harden and Lee are the only "weak" defenders I suppose, but with Howard next Lee, and Harden getting help from Bledsoe, Allen, and Pierce, I doubt that would even be an issue.

But putting Allen means benching either PP or Beard (I assume), that's a lot of offense to give up for defense.

Sure, that's a hard wall to break, but Tony Allen will not give this Rockets team any points.

As for Harden and Lee getting helped by Howard or Pierce or Bledsoe, well, maybe.

Bledsoe is a heck of a defender, but will he be able to effectively defend SG's at 6'1"? Those are Harden's covers that he blatantly ignores (especially those back cuts). That may be a tough out. Pierce may be a bit slow for SG's as well.

Watched a lot of David Lee games (all of it actually), he's actually a solid one on one defender. My concern is, if Dwight, say, get's stretched out on the pick and roll and leaves Lee down as a help defender, that's trouble. That's what he's bad at. He doest give effort on challenging shots, nor gives effort to even close out (on most occasions).

Dont get me wrong, I still think this Houston team is at worst, top 4. I guess I'm just picking knits (did I spell that right), about Harden getting burned and Lee's bad help defense. That could still be a problem, but after being proved wrong on Pierce by IP, it probably isnt that big of a concern. 

« Reply #653 on: March 11, 2014, 12:48:34 AM »

Offline BigAlTheFuture

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 458
Yeah... Not sure how to reply to that. First you say my team will have no troubles scoring, now you're saying we will have a tough time scoring if we put Tony Allen in the lineup. I'm not sure how one guy could disrupt the flow of the offense when he will be the 5th and last option on offense every time he is on the court.
PHX Suns: Russell Westbrook, Chris Bosh, Tristan Thompson, Trevor Ariza, Tony Allen, Trey Lyles, Corey Brewer, Larry Nance Jr., Trey Burke, Troy Daniels, Joffrey Lauvergne, Justin Holiday, Mike Muscala, 14.6

« Reply #654 on: March 11, 2014, 01:21:47 AM »

Offline Yoki_IsTheName

• Ed Macauley
  • I'm a Paul Heyman guy.
Yeah... Not sure how to reply to that. First you say my team will have no troubles scoring, now you're saying we will have a tough time scoring if we put Tony Allen in the lineup. I'm not sure how one guy could disrupt the flow of the offense when he will be the 5th and last option on offense every time he is on the court.

I guess I phrased myself really wrong there (sorry, English is not my primary language). Let me try again.

I guess what I meant to say is, Tony Allen will provide better defense, but since you'd have to either take out (I assume) Pierce or Harden for him to be on the floor, the offense would slow down in a sense that he wont provide offense on his own, and will kill floor spacing (shooting less than 35% from 10-23 feet this year).

He'll be another very good defensive body, but on the other side,h is man can cheat a bit to double off either Lee, Howard, Harden or whoever is on the floor because he could not shoot.

A little snag, for whatever minutes he's on the floor.

« Reply #655 on: March 11, 2014, 08:22:33 AM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25636
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
Taking final offers on 5.1

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #656 on: March 11, 2014, 08:31:14 AM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047
had a couple of good offers for 5.2 but not enough.  have sent my picks to AB for this round.

« Reply #657 on: March 11, 2014, 09:50:03 AM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2401
Tiago Splitter is a nice pickup for Toronto. Nice flexibility in their big man rotation.

PF/SF - Josh Smith
PF      - Ryan Anderson
C/PF   - Pau Gasol
C/PF   - Tiago Splitter

Raptors can go big (Splitter, Pau), they can go small, they can go defensive or put two highly skilled offensive bigs on the floor. Or even slide Josh Smith to the 3 to put extra size at their forward positions. Can both create matchup problems for opponents or negate possible matchup problems that opponents present.

« Reply #658 on: March 11, 2014, 10:05:13 AM »

fitzhickey

willing to take offers on 5.11

« Reply #659 on: March 11, 2014, 10:09:22 AM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1533
Continuing my theme of making Dirk Nowitzki a babysitter, I went with Noel.  I realize it is a gamble to take a guy who has never played a game in the NBA, but I think he is a great fit (in theory) with both Cousins and Nowitzki down low and I sorely needed a rim protector (of which I think he was by far the best one available). 
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip