Author Topic: 2014 Pick 2: General Commentary  (Read 260471 times)

Re: 2014 Pick 2: General Commentary
« Reply #570 on: March 09, 2014, 10:37:12 AM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
Jumping in on this conversation, I think that its clear Durant is the best of the bunch and the lead cog in his duo. Howard is the lead cog in his duo. I find Harden and Westbrook to be about the same in quality of player. So if that's the case is Durant better than Howard? of Course and its not close.

One thing not being brought up here is the liability that Howard can be on offense because of his foul shooting. His 50%+ foul shooting is embarrassing for a high school basketball player, never mind a professional. He makes his coach have to adjust his rotations and strategy because near the end of games, its easier to foul Howard and play that he is going to miss from the line than it is to try to stop the Rockets as a whole.

I really think that point is ignored by many and is something that should stand out to anyone that has a center that can't hit free throws.

Oh wait, I have DeAndre Jordan. Disregard what I said. ;D

« Reply #571 on: March 09, 2014, 11:27:26 AM »

Offline KGs Knee

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 1544
Just to make it clear, as Roy has seemed to take the approach of attempting to call into question my integrity, I change my mind about players frequently.  I mean, the opposite would involve being closed-minded.

I'm sure you could go back through plenty of my past posts and find statements one way of the other about more than one player.  Lebron would be at the top of that list.  I bagged on him for years.  He proved me wrong and I have nothing but glowing things to say about him now (mostly). When I see new evidence to change my opinion, I do so.

I've waffled on Dwight over the years.  I was a believer for much of his career.  The past few years soured me on him.  This year showed me he is back to his old ways of dominating, and his improved post play and demeanor is 'up to snuff'.  I understand plenty of people will disagree about this, and know fully well why.

He's not on the level of James or Durant, and he does has his flaws.  So do a good number of other players on his level.  CP3, Harden, George, Wetsbrook, Curry, Aldridge, Love etc. all have aspects of their games that are 'weaker' than the rest of their games. Howard's closer to 60% free throws this year, FWIW (still not great, but good enough).  Apparently it'd dropped recently and is back to 55%.
« Last Edit: March 09, 2014, 11:39:28 AM by KGs Knee »

« Reply #572 on: March 09, 2014, 11:33:30 AM »

Offline KGs Knee

• Frank Ramsey
You know who I think will be on the level of Lebron and Durant within the next couple of years, Anthony Davis.  He's not there yet, but I'm becoming a believer.

« Reply #573 on: March 09, 2014, 11:39:55 AM »

Offline fairweatherfan

• Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 2365
  • Be the posts you wish to see in the world.

There's a weird anti-DeRozan bias among a lot of the folks who participate in these games, and I disagree with it.  He's isn't as efficient as I'd like but kid can ball.

« Reply #574 on: March 09, 2014, 11:44:58 AM »

Offline fairweatherfan

• Johnny Most
Just to make it clear, as Roy has seemed to take the approach of attempting to call into question my integrity, I change my mind about players frequently.  I mean, the opposite would involve being closed-minded.

I'm sure you could go back through plenty of my past posts and find statements one way of the other about more than one player.  Lebron would be at the top of that list.  I bagged on him for years.  He proved me wrong and I have nothing but glowing things to say about him now (mostly). When I see new evidence to change my opinion, I do so.

I've waffled on Dwight over the years.  I was a believer for much of his career.  The past few years soured me on him.  This year showed me he is back to his old ways of dominating, and his improved post play and demeanor is 'up to snuff'.  I understand plenty of people will disagree about this, and know fully well why.

He's not on the level of James or Durant, and he does has his flaws.  So do a good number of other players on his level.  CP3, Harden, George, Wetsbrook, Curry, Aldridge, Love etc. all have aspects of their games that are 'weaker' than the rest of their games. Howard's closer to 60% free throws this year, FWIW (still not great, but good enough).  Apparently it'd dropped recently and is back to 55%.

I don't want to put words in your mouth but I think a lot of us soured quickly on Howard when he put the Lakers jersey on, and liked him a lot better as soon as he took it off.  The way he left Orlando, and the injury issues that coincided with it, didn't help either.

« Reply #575 on: March 09, 2014, 11:48:26 AM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25635
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley

My intention wasn't to call into question your integrity.  However, you seemed to be very opposed to my observations of Howard, saying that you pretty much disagreed with my analysis completely.  You seemed a bit flippant in your dismissal of my arguments.

I thought it was interesting, then, to see just how close our analysis of Howard was as recently as a few months ago.  I mean, we were almost word-for-word in our analysis. 

I respect the fact that you changed your mind.  However, as somebody who held the exact same opinions as I currently do as recently as a few months ago, I guess I was surprised by how firm and unbending you were in your present beliefs.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #576 on: March 09, 2014, 11:54:35 AM »

Offline KGs Knee

• Frank Ramsey

My intention wasn't to call into question your integrity.  However, you seemed to be very opposed to my observations of Howard, saying that you pretty much disagreed with my analysis completely.  You seemed a bit flippant in your dismissal of my arguments.

I thought it was interesting, then, to see just how close our analysis of Howard was as recently as a few months ago.  I mean, we were almost word-for-word in our analysis. 

I respect the fact that you changed your mind.  However, as somebody who held the exact same opinions as I currently do as recently as a few months ago, I guess I was surprised by how firm and unbending you were in your present beliefs.

Meh, I guess I tend to be rather "firm" in what I believe, at any given moment.  Just my nature I suppose.  I don't think we're terribly different in that regard.

So if you weren't 'calling me out', well then I apologize for accusing you.  Sure seemed that way, I was wrong I guess.

« Reply #577 on: March 09, 2014, 11:56:46 AM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith

There's a weird anti-DeRozan bias among a lot of the folks who participate in these games, and I disagree with it.  He's isn't as efficient as I'd like but kid can ball.
I don't know if I had a bias against DeRozan but I didn't think he was that great of a player. He was playing poor defense and has always been inefficient.

Toronto getting rid of the absolutely awful defenders like Gay and Bargs and others has shown DeRozan not to be as poor a defender as he appeared before and he has definitely shown offensively that he can be a top 2 option on offense.

But its only this year that he has shown a maturity in his whole game and that he could be relied upon to be the offensive weapon that he has been this year. I think as he continues to grow as a player he will change people's minds about him. I know I don't think the same way about him now as I did earlier this year.

« Reply #578 on: March 09, 2014, 11:58:08 AM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith

Meh, I guess I tend to be rather "firm" in what I believe, at any given moment.  Just my nature I suppose.  I don't think we're terribly different in that regard.

So if you weren't 'calling me out', well then I apologize for accusing you.  Sure seemed that way, I was wrong I guess.

My apologies, as well.  I wasn't "calling you out" to suggest that you're a hypocrite or anything of that nature.  Rather, I was defending my own analysis by showing where you were on the subject.  I do agree that people evolve on players all the time.  (Case in point:  Zach Randolph.  I think that 100% of the blog changed their thinking on him.)

Let's move on.  We can discuss a Howard-for-DMC trade in the off-season to make us both look silly. Haha.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #579 on: March 09, 2014, 11:59:59 AM »

Offline KGs Knee

• Frank Ramsey

This is probably an example of another player who fits the "changed my mind" criteria.

DeRozan has looked much improved of late.  Gotta give him credit.

« Reply #580 on: March 09, 2014, 12:00:46 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith

I don't know if I had a bias against DeRozan but I didn't think he was that great of a player. He was playing poor defense and has always been inefficient.

Toronto getting rid of the absolutely awful defenders like Gay and Bargs and others has shown DeRozan not to be as poor a defender as he appeared before and he has definitely shown offensively that he can be a top 2 option on offense.

But its only this year that he has shown a maturity in his whole game and that he could be relied upon to be the offensive weapon that he has been this year. I think as he continues to grow as a player he will change people's minds about him. I know I don't think the same way about him now as I did earlier this year.

Funny story.  I was offered a deal that involved DeRozan for Dion Waiters (along with other moving parts).  I had no interest in DeRozan, and offered him around the league.  There was pretty much zero interest.

I was wrong (although I'm happy with the Waiters trade that I did make), and so was just about everyone else.

It's funny that DeRozan and Monta Ellis both turned a corner in the same year.  Maybe Brandon Jennings is next.

« Reply #581 on: March 09, 2014, 12:01:07 PM »

Offline KGs Knee

• Frank Ramsey
Let's move on.  We can discuss a Howard-for-DMC trade in the off-season to make us both look silly. Haha.

;D

« Reply #582 on: March 09, 2014, 12:09:27 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
You know who I think will be on the level of Lebron and Durant within the next couple of years, Anthony Davis.  He's not there yet, but I'm becoming a believer.
Always been a believer in Davis. He's the only reason I chose the P'cans. I do believe, like you, that he will be in the class of Durant and LeBron but not for a year or so.

« Reply #583 on: March 09, 2014, 12:20:08 PM »

Offline fairweatherfan

• Johnny Most
So while we're on the topic of changing minds about players, how about that Gerald Green?   ;D

« Reply #584 on: March 09, 2014, 01:30:22 PM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047
just to cover my butt, can't make my pick on time for tomorrow so sent a PM to AB.