Author Topic: 2014 Pick 2: General Commentary  (Read 260333 times)

Re: 2014 Pick 2: General Commentary
« Reply #510 on: March 07, 2014, 05:59:33 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
I know you guys hate my Noah trade but whatevs, YOLO, get over it, ect...

Derrick Rose
Kyle Korver
Trevor Ariza
Zach Randolph
Omer Asik

Sixth Man: Jamal Crawford
Rose has as many questions about what he will return like next year as Kobe does and without an MVP Rose, this team probably struggles. I would suggest adding a play making guard to find Korver his open looks and feed Randolph down low.

Strong defensively, especially 3-5. You'll struggle shutting down teams with two good wing players.

The team is centered around Rose being Rose. Hope he can be again some day.

« Reply #511 on: March 07, 2014, 06:02:09 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith

Thoughts on Houston?
PG: Eric Bledsoe
SG: James Harden
SF: Paul Pierce
PF: David Lee
 C: Dwight Howard
Excellent, well constructed team.All the parts appear to fit together well and compliment each other. One of the better teams in this endeavor

« Reply #512 on: March 07, 2014, 06:07:37 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
What do people think of Toronto?
PG:Lowry
SG:DeRozan
SF:Josh Smith
PF:Ryan Anderson
C: Pau Gasol
Unfortunately you have two of the players in the league I like the least and think are over rated the most in DeRozan and Smith. I am also not a fan of playing Smith at anything but PF. He's not a SF. Use him where he gives you the most chance to be the best he can be, at PF.

Might be best served playing Smith at PF, drafting a starting SF and bringing a now injured Anderson off the bench.

« Reply #513 on: March 07, 2014, 06:12:28 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
Pelicans

PG: Victor Oladipo
SG: Kobe Bryant
SF: Chandler Parsons
PF: Anthony Davis
C: DeAndre Jordan

I know Kobe is out probably for the year so I imagine Oladipo could be a SG and I can draft a PG while relegating Kobe to bench status for the remainder of this year. Depending on Kobe's health, I would determine the starting lineup for the 2014-15 season that following year.

Thoughts?

« Reply #514 on: March 07, 2014, 06:13:22 PM »

Offline airbelinelli

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 71
  • Derrick Rose is year-to-year
Thoughts on the warriors?
Curry
Joe Johnson
Iggy
Horford
Valanciunas

Might look to make a few tweeks but what are the thoughts through the starting 5?
CB Draft: Golden State Warriors - 14.23
PG: Bledsoe/Lin/ Harris
SG: Beal/ Henderson/ Ingram
SF: Winslow/McDermott/
PF: Turner/ Acy / Hernangomez
C: Adams/ Turner/ McRoberts
DKC Nets: http://tinyurl.com/h5mdvwj

« Reply #515 on: March 07, 2014, 06:17:37 PM »

Offline Yoki_IsTheName

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1304
  • I'm a Paul Heyman guy.
Phoenix after 3 rounds.

PG -    Jrue Holiday
SG -    Goran Dragic
SF -    Rudy Gay
PF -    Terrence Jones
C   -    Andrew Bogut

Holiday gets the defensive assignments against tall SG's or elite PG's. 

What are the Pick 2 Universe's thoughts?
Holiday has struggled at times this year when paired with Tyreke Evans, a player that considers himself a PG and should run the offense. Holiday and Dragic are both going to want the ball and that has worked well in Phoenix with Eric Bledsoe, but I am not sure how Holiday would handle it.

Really like Bogut's play this year and Jones has grown as a player to become a significant contributor as a 4th option, transition offense, offensive rebounding type player that compliments a defensive anchor very well.

Just not a fan of Gay. Inefficient volume "me" type player who's stats are more impressive than his play.

Overall I like this team.

Except he's shooting 46% from the field and a decent 35% from 3, while averaging 20 points per game. As a third option in IRL SacTo.

After that trade, it's clear that Gay is better suited as not to be the go to guy on offense. Gay looks comfortable in that role too. His usage rate DROPPED from 30 to 26. He's averaging more points while taking less shots. His assist went up (i know its just by one but for a "me" first player, that's significant). He doesnt have to carry this team offensively, which puts him in a better position to score effectively, as evident by RL when he moved.

About Dragic and Holiday pairing up. I guess we can only prove it until we see it. But Dragic - Bledsoe working is a pretty optimistic comparison. I mean Jrue and Eric are not spot up PG's, they would indeed want the ball. But Dragic coexisted with Bledsoe, I think it's safe to say that he can with Holiday.
2019 CStrong Historical Draft 2000s OKC Thunder.
PG: Jrue Holiday / Isaiah Thomas / Larry Hughes
SG: Paul George / Aaron McKie / Bradley Beal
SF: Paul Pierce / Tayshaun Prince / Brian Scalabrine
PF: LaMarcus Aldridge / Shareef Abdur-Raheem / Ben Simmons
C: Jermaine O'neal / Ben Wallace

« Reply #516 on: March 07, 2014, 06:21:34 PM »

Offline Yoki_IsTheName

• Ed Macauley
  • I'm a Paul Heyman guy.
Pelicans

I know Kobe is out probably for the year so I imagine Oladipo could be a SG and I can draft a PG while relegating Kobe to bench status for the remainder of this year. Depending on Kobe's health, I would determine the starting lineup for the 2014-15 season that following year.

Thoughts?

This is a defensive stalwart. This team will control the rebounds and protect the rim.

And I am also a fan of Victor (Home)Oladipo.  ;D, But I don't think him and pretty boy Parsons can provide enough offense. DeAndre doesnt really score on his own too. So IMO the offense is a bit of the problem. That's until Kobe comes back at least.

But for now, if this team can only score 56, they will do that while holding the opponent to 50.

« Reply #517 on: March 07, 2014, 06:25:42 PM »

Offline Yoki_IsTheName

• Ed Macauley
  • I'm a Paul Heyman guy.
Curry
Joe Johnson
Iggy
Horford
Valanciunas

Might look to make a few tweeks but what are the thoughts through the starting 5?

This looks exactly like RL Dubs, except Valanciunas is no where close to Boguts BBIQ, especially defensively.

But Horford makes up for that. Horford is your David Lee with better defense. Problem is, that pectoral tearing, seems to be recurring, so that may be a big concern. 

Steph Curry, is a SUPERSTAR. But he may have to do a lot more than he already has IRL. JJ this year had spurts, but his still not going to put enough points to help. And Iggy's just not making shots. (this year at least).

But hey, Iggy, Joe, Steph. That's one clutch trio.

« Reply #518 on: March 07, 2014, 06:26:00 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
Phoenix after 3 rounds.

PG -    Jrue Holiday
SG -    Goran Dragic
SF -    Rudy Gay
PF -    Terrence Jones
C   -    Andrew Bogut

Holiday has struggled at times this year when paired with Tyreke Evans, a player that considers himself a PG and should run the offense. Holiday and Dragic are both going to want the ball and that has worked well in Phoenix with Eric Bledsoe, but I am not sure how Holiday would handle it.

Really like Bogut's play this year and Jones has grown as a player to become a significant contributor as a 4th option, transition offense, offensive rebounding type player that compliments a defensive anchor very well.

Just not a fan of Gay. Inefficient volume "me" type player who's stats are more impressive than his play.

Except he's shooting 46% from the field and a decent 35% from 3, while averaging 20 points per game. As a third option in IRL SacTo.

After that trade, it's clear that Gay is better suited as not to be the go to guy on offense. Gay looks comfortable in that role too. His usage rate DROPPED from 30 to 26. He's averaging more points while taking less shots. His assist went up (i know its just by one but for a "me" first player, that's significant). He doesnt have to carry this team offensively, which puts him in a better position to score effectively, as evident by RL when he moved.

About Dragic and Holiday pairing up. I guess we can only prove it until we see it. But Dragic - Bledsoe working is a pretty optimistic comparison. I mean Jrue and Eric are not spot up PG's, they would indeed want the ball. But Dragic coexisted with Bledsoe, I think it's safe to say that he can with Holiday.
I will admit that Gay has played efficiently in Sactown.

I also admit Dragic and Bledsoe worked well together for 20 games. I don't see a chemistry issue with Dragic, its Holiday. Watched a bunch of Pelican games with him and Evans both trying to be the main facilitator in New Orleans and Holiday struggled with it. The Peilcans offense suffered because of it. If anything Dragic is even a more high usage player than Tyreke and I wonder if Holiday will struggle like he has at times this year playing with Evans when both wanted the ball and both wanted to run the offense through them.

Of course, good coaching solves all that.

« Reply #519 on: March 07, 2014, 06:31:15 PM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2401
Pelicans

Thoughts?

I love the non-Kobe parts of the roster.

Big fan of the Anthony Davis + DeAndre Jordan big man combo. I think their length, quickness, overall athleticism and shot-blocking is going to be extremely difficult to play against. Gives you a terrific defensive backbone.

I really like the Oladipo and Parsons combo on the wing too. Parsons a good all around SF with a sweet jump-shot. Oladipo a super athletic wrecking ball kind of a player. A great slasher in the making. I love having that explosive athleticism alongside Parsons. Again, a top notch defensive talent in Oladipo with a good defensive player with height/length in Parsons alongside him. Continuing in the excellent defensive foundation already established with the bigs.

I think there a couple of really good young PGs still available to complete the picture. Truly excellent foundation so far with those four guys. I'd love to watch that team play.

« Reply #520 on: March 07, 2014, 06:33:52 PM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith
Pelicans

Thoughts?

I love the non-Kobe parts of the roster.

Big fan of the Anthony Davis + DeAndre Jordan big man combo. I think their length, quickness, overall athleticism and shot-blocking is going to be extremely difficult to play against. Gives you a terrific defensive backbone.

I really like the Oladipo and Parsons combo on the wing too. Parsons a good all around SF with a sweet jump-shot. Oladipo a super athletic wrecking ball kind of a player. A great slasher in the making. I love having that explosive athleticism alongside Parsons. Again, a top notch defensive talent in Oladipo with a good defensive player with height/length in Parsons alongside him. Continuing in the excellent defensive foundation already established with the bigs.

On the Kobe subject,

I do not see any role for Kobe Bryant on that team. Not after you picked up Oladipo.

I think Kobe will just get in the way. Wanting all his touches, playing in the spots on the floor he wants to be in -- the rest of his teammates be [dang]ed -- and of course his shot attempts. I think his defense will be lousy after that achilles injury too and that he won't give the effort/focus that will be demanded of the rest of his teammates on that end of the floor.

I just don't think an aging post achilles injury Kobe Bryant is the type of player you want around your young guys who already have such an excellent defensive first team first attitude.

I also think the young guys will defer to Kobe Bryant too much and would grow into leadership positions better without him. A larger than life type personality. Domineering. I think Davis will make it his team, in his image, quicker without a Kobe Bryant in the way.

Especially so if it is pushing Oladipo out of position to PG.

« Reply #521 on: March 07, 2014, 06:45:19 PM »

Offline Yoki_IsTheName

• Ed Macauley
  • I'm a Paul Heyman guy.
Phoenix after 3 rounds.

PG -    Jrue Holiday
SG -    Goran Dragic
SF -    Rudy Gay
PF -    Terrence Jones
C   -    Andrew Bogut

I will admit that Gay has played efficiently in Sactown.

I also admit Dragic and Bledsoe worked well together for 20 games. I don't see a chemistry issue with Dragic, its Holiday. Watched a bunch of Pelican games with him and Evans both trying to be the main facilitator in New Orleans and Holiday struggled with it. The Peilcans offense suffered because of it. If anything Dragic is even a more high usage player than Tyreke and I wonder if Holiday will struggle like he has at times this year playing with Evans when both wanted the ball and both wanted to run the offense through them.

Of course, good coaching solves all that.

I guess it's 50/50. There is evidence to suggest that it can or cannot work. All I can say to this is Dragic is a better player. Better shooter so he's more of a threat, and opens up the floor more for Holiday. And vice versa, although I will expect Holiday's assists numbers to go down, as he won't be having most of the rock, but like Bledsoe, both him and Dragic can take turns, and since both can shoot (Dragic crazy efficiently and Holiday solid), it's much different that the Pels. The other guy can't shoot.

« Reply #522 on: March 07, 2014, 06:49:41 PM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith
Curry
Joe Johnson
Iggy
Horford
Valanciunas

I love the Iggy and Horford combination at SF/PF. Two tough team first guys. I really like the physical toughness and intensity those two provide and think they will set a terrific tone for your team. Both players have a big impact outside of scoring.

A scoring guard like Steph Curry is an excellent fit alongside those two forwards.

Jonas Valanciunas is a young player with good upside. He should have a very good future in front of him. As he grows and becomes the player he is capable of becoming, this team becomes a major threat.

I think those four guys are the core of the team. Rather than Joe Johnson who is more peripheral. 

« Reply #523 on: March 07, 2014, 07:44:48 PM »

Offline Merovech

• Brad Stevens
  • Tommy Points: 46
I'd love to pick up an early fourth round pick or one of (the majority of) the current SGs out there.  I'm open to considering even dramatic moves, though I like the five players that I have now very much.
2014 Pick 2 OKC Thunder
PG: Russell Westbrook
SG: Jeremy Lamb / Jodie Meeks
SF: Kevin Durant
PF: Taj Gibson / Derrick Favors
C: Greg Monroe / Brandan Wright
7.19, 8.19, 9.19, 10.19

« Reply #524 on: March 07, 2014, 07:52:40 PM »

Offline BleedGreen1989

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 568
I'd love to pick up an early fourth round pick or one of (the majority of) the current SGs out there.  I'm open to considering even dramatic moves, though I like the five players that I have now very much.

Check PM's
*CB Miami Heat*
Kyle Lowry, Dwayne Wade, 13th pick in even numbered rounds, 18th pick in odd numbered rounds.