Author Topic: 2014 Pick 2: General Commentary  (Read 260334 times)

Re: 2014 Pick 2: General Commentary
« Reply #420 on: March 07, 2014, 08:59:50 AM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047
won't be available when I need to pick (3.2)-- sent picks to AB. 

« Reply #421 on: March 07, 2014, 09:54:25 AM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25636
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
Finalizing a trade... 

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #422 on: March 07, 2014, 09:58:15 AM »

Offline Merovech

• Brad Stevens
  • Tommy Points: 46
Eric Gordon isn't a good player; he's basically the rich man's Nate Robinson.   He is shooting uncharacteristically great from the 3 and still isn't very efficient offensively, and his being on the court transforms the Pelicans from a top-10 defense to by far the Association's worst.  In addition, he is a constant injury risk.  I don't think that Kobe will ever be the same again, and he might not even be an average player anymore, but I'd be surprised if he returns as a worse player the Gordon.  In my opinion, the Eric Gordon of old is as much a thing of the past as the Kobe Bryant of yore.
Eric Gordon's career TS% is 56.2%.  Paul Pierce for his career is 56.8%.  Nate Robinson is 53.6% for his career.  Gordon was less efficient the last two years with the injury and struggled a bit early this year, but he is getting back to his pre-injury form (it takes awhile when you are injured), which is nothing like what you are describing.  Defensively he is still a bit slower than he was and he was never great defensively, but your assessment of his overall game clearly does not match reality.

I was probably too harsh on him offensively, since he is still recovering, as you say, and he is a decent offensive player right now, but he was a terrible defender even pre-injury, the kind that can't easily be masked.  I think that he'd be a great bench player, and I should have said that originally.  Perhaps his overall game would be better with better non-Davis teammates.  He's not a lose-now pick-up, by any means, I just don't think that he's great.  I really should have said "isn't a good starter", not "isn't a good player."  I stand by the fact that I think that he's a bad starter, however.
2014 Pick 2 OKC Thunder
PG: Russell Westbrook
SG: Jeremy Lamb / Jodie Meeks
SF: Kevin Durant
PF: Taj Gibson / Derrick Favors
C: Greg Monroe / Brandan Wright
7.19, 8.19, 9.19, 10.19

« Reply #423 on: March 07, 2014, 09:59:51 AM »

Offline BleedGreen1989

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 568
Finalizing a trade...

So have you taken over for Fitz Roy?
*CB Miami Heat*
Kyle Lowry, Dwayne Wade, 13th pick in even numbered rounds, 18th pick in odd numbered rounds.

« Reply #424 on: March 07, 2014, 10:00:53 AM »

Offline KGs Knee

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 1544
A heads-up:

From tomorrow afternoon until Sunday morning I will be participating in a philanthropy event at my university. There is no drafting going on, so that won't be a problem, but any trades will have to be processed by BleedGreen1989 or KGs Knee. Please PM them if you want to do a trade over the weekend.

Well that sure is a fancy way of saying "I'll be at the college's checkers club bake sale".  ;)

I should be around for most of this afternoon and the weekend to accept trades.  I'll be logging off in a few to get some much needed sleep, but will be back this afternoon.

« Reply #425 on: March 07, 2014, 10:03:36 AM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
Finalizing a trade...

So have you taken over for Fitz Roy?

Nope.  Fitz is still running the show.  Send any correspondence to both of us.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #426 on: March 07, 2014, 10:04:11 AM »

Offline AB_Celtic

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 460
Trade

Raptors trade:  3.1, 6.1
Thunder trade: 3.9, 4.19

« Reply #427 on: March 07, 2014, 10:08:44 AM »

Offline AB_Celtic

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 460
Gonna make slamtheking's 3.2 pick in a minute or so.

« Reply #428 on: March 07, 2014, 10:10:22 AM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
Taj Gibson

Great pick.  He was #1 on my draft board.  (Not necessarily Fitz's).

« Reply #429 on: March 07, 2014, 10:11:53 AM »

Offline pearljammer10

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 885
slamtheking takes Kevin Martin

Dangit. Fan of this pick as well... Two strong picks to start "round three".

« Reply #430 on: March 07, 2014, 10:11:59 AM »

Offline BleedGreen1989

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 568
Taj Gibson

Great pick.  He was #1 on my draft board.  (Not necessarily Fitz's).

Yeah, love this pick.

Him and Monroe compliment each other very well.
*CB Miami Heat*
Kyle Lowry, Dwayne Wade, 13th pick in even numbered rounds, 18th pick in odd numbered rounds.

« Reply #431 on: March 07, 2014, 10:12:59 AM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1533
Eric Gordon isn't a good player; he's basically the rich man's Nate Robinson.   He is shooting uncharacteristically great from the 3 and still isn't very efficient offensively, and his being on the court transforms the Pelicans from a top-10 defense to by far the Association's worst.  In addition, he is a constant injury risk.  I don't think that Kobe will ever be the same again, and he might not even be an average player anymore, but I'd be surprised if he returns as a worse player the Gordon.  In my opinion, the Eric Gordon of old is as much a thing of the past as the Kobe Bryant of yore.
Eric Gordon's career TS% is 56.2%.  Paul Pierce for his career is 56.8%.  Nate Robinson is 53.6% for his career.  Gordon was less efficient the last two years with the injury and struggled a bit early this year, but he is getting back to his pre-injury form (it takes awhile when you are injured), which is nothing like what you are describing.  Defensively he is still a bit slower than he was and he was never great defensively, but your assessment of his overall game clearly does not match reality.

I was probably too harsh on him offensively, since he is still recovering, as you say, and he is a decent offensive player right now, but he was a terrible defender even pre-injury, the kind that can't easily be masked.  I think that he'd be a great bench player, and I should have said that originally.  Perhaps his overall game would be better with better non-Davis teammates.  He's not a lose-now pick-up, by any means, I just don't think that he's great.  I really should have said "isn't a good starter", not "isn't a good player."  I stand by the fact that I think that he's a bad starter, however.
Fair enough.  The way I looked at the trade for Gordon, was that I would have taken Parsons (who nick actually selected), who is a worse shooter and is actually older than Gordon.  I also got to move up about 15 spots in the 7th round, which I think has some decent value.  I also realized there were plenty of similar SF's to Parsons out there (granted a few of them went later yesterday), but not very many good SG's so I saw it as value all around.  I get the younger player, the much better shooter and ball handler, at a much less deep position, and I get to move up in the depth building rounds (and it isn't like Parsons is a good defender either).  Seemed like an easy trade to make for me. 
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #432 on: March 07, 2014, 10:15:17 AM »

Offline Merovech

• Brad Stevens
  • Tommy Points: 46
Made my pick.  Worried tht it's a mistake to pick him over a shooting guard, but im also worried that the moat enticing shooting gaurd is a flash-in-the-pan.  There are a few shooting guards with whom I would still be comfortable starting,, though none might be there by the time I pick again.
2014 Pick 2 OKC Thunder
PG: Russell Westbrook
SG: Jeremy Lamb / Jodie Meeks
SF: Kevin Durant
PF: Taj Gibson / Derrick Favors
C: Greg Monroe / Brandan Wright
7.19, 8.19, 9.19, 10.19

« Reply #433 on: March 07, 2014, 10:16:21 AM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
Gonna make slamtheking's 3.2 pick in a minute or so.
thanks AB - TP for covering for me.

« Reply #434 on: March 07, 2014, 10:16:44 AM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
slamtheking takes Kevin Martin

Dangit. Fan of this pick as well... Two strong picks to start "round three".
Thank you -- I aim to please  ;D