Author Topic: 2014 Pick 2: General Commentary  (Read 261762 times)

Re: 2014 Pick 2: General Commentary
« Reply #405 on: March 06, 2014, 08:18:45 PM »

Offline Merovech

• Brad Stevens
  • Tommy Points: 46
Eric Gordon isn't a good player; he's basically the rich man's Nate Robinson.   He is shooting uncharacteristically great from the 3 and still isn't very efficient offensively, and his being on the court transforms the Pelicans from a top-10 defense to by far the Association's worst.  In addition, he is a constant injury risk.  I don't think that Kobe will ever be the same again, and he might not even be an average player anymore, but I'd be surprised if he returns as a worse player the Gordon.  In my opinion, the Eric Gordon of old is as much a thing of the past as the Kobe Bryant of yore.
2014 Pick 2 OKC Thunder
PG: Russell Westbrook
SG: Jeremy Lamb / Jodie Meeks
SF: Kevin Durant
PF: Taj Gibson / Derrick Favors
C: Greg Monroe / Brandan Wright
7.19, 8.19, 9.19, 10.19

« Reply #406 on: March 06, 2014, 08:29:55 PM »

Offline Merovech

• Brad Stevens
  • Tommy Points: 46
Brook Lopez is a great pick for the future.  I'm really surprised that's rebuilding or younger team didn't pick him earlier.  I was tempted to do so, to tell the truth.
2014 Pick 2 OKC Thunder
PG: Russell Westbrook
SG: Jeremy Lamb / Jodie Meeks
SF: Kevin Durant
PF: Taj Gibson / Derrick Favors
C: Greg Monroe / Brandan Wright
7.19, 8.19, 9.19, 10.19

« Reply #407 on: March 06, 2014, 08:35:51 PM »

Offline JBcat

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 512
Lillard, Leonard, Aldridge, Noah is my fav core right now.  Really like the balance there.

Was just going to say this too.  Lots of good teams out there, but this one has a very good start to it.

My team is interesting so far.  Like the offense/defensive mix of A Jefferson and Faried with a solid backcourt with Beal and Wall.  Would love to stick Durant in the middle of that. Ha

« Reply #408 on: March 06, 2014, 08:42:35 PM »

Offline AB_Celtic

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 460
A heads-up:

From tomorrow afternoon until Sunday morning I will be participating in a philanthropy event at my university. There is no drafting going on, so that won't be a problem, but any trades will have to be processed by BleedGreen1989 or KGs Knee. Please PM them if you want to do a trade over the weekend.

« Reply #409 on: March 06, 2014, 08:57:47 PM »

Offline Yoki_IsTheName

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1304
  • I'm a Paul Heyman guy.
Brook Lopez is a great pick for the future.  I'm really surprised that's rebuilding or younger team didn't pick him earlier.  I was tempted to do so, to tell the truth.

It's hard when a player gets recurring injuries.

Trust me, from a guy who defended Andrew Bogut a ton (and he doesnt have recurring injuries), that's a big blow on any CB Draft team.
2019 CStrong Historical Draft 2000s OKC Thunder.
PG: Jrue Holiday / Isaiah Thomas / Larry Hughes
SG: Paul George / Aaron McKie / Bradley Beal
SF: Paul Pierce / Tayshaun Prince / Brian Scalabrine
PF: LaMarcus Aldridge / Shareef Abdur-Raheem / Ben Simmons
C: Jermaine O'neal / Ben Wallace

« Reply #410 on: March 06, 2014, 09:07:35 PM »

Offline pearljammer10

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 885
Lillard, Leonard, Aldridge, Noah is my fav core right now.  Really like the balance there.

Was just going to say this too.  Lots of good teams out there, but this one has a very good start to it.

My team is interesting so far.  Like the offense/defensive mix of A Jefferson and Faried with a solid backcourt with Beal and Wall.  Would love to stick Durant in the middle of that. Ha

Thanks Fellahs. Off to a good start, see what I can do in the later rounds to fill it out.

« Reply #411 on: March 06, 2014, 09:56:47 PM »

Offline BigAlTheFuture

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 458
Love Portland's team. Kinda jealous. Always wanted to pair Noah next to Love or Aldridge.

Oh wait, I did pair Love and Noah in the CB draft two years ago.  :P 2nd round exit...
PHX Suns: Russell Westbrook, Chris Bosh, Tristan Thompson, Trevor Ariza, Tony Allen, Trey Lyles, Corey Brewer, Larry Nance Jr., Trey Burke, Troy Daniels, Joffrey Lauvergne, Justin Holiday, Mike Muscala, 14.6

« Reply #412 on: March 06, 2014, 10:37:24 PM »

Offline rondoallaturca

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 350
  • DKC Memphis Grizzlies
So there is no snake drafting for Pick 2? I just realized my pick is at 245 every day, and that's the worst possible time for me.

« Reply #413 on: March 07, 2014, 06:49:28 AM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1544
Eric Gordon isn't a good player; he's basically the rich man's Nate Robinson.   He is shooting uncharacteristically great from the 3 and still isn't very efficient offensively, and his being on the court transforms the Pelicans from a top-10 defense to by far the Association's worst.  In addition, he is a constant injury risk.  I don't think that Kobe will ever be the same again, and he might not even be an average player anymore, but I'd be surprised if he returns as a worse player the Gordon.  In my opinion, the Eric Gordon of old is as much a thing of the past as the Kobe Bryant of yore.
Eric Gordon's career TS% is 56.2%.  Paul Pierce for his career is 56.8%.  Nate Robinson is 53.6% for his career.  Gordon was less efficient the last two years with the injury and struggled a bit early this year, but he is getting back to his pre-injury form (it takes awhile when you are injured), which is nothing like what you are describing.  Defensively he is still a bit slower than he was and he was never great defensively, but your assessment of his overall game clearly does not match reality.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #414 on: March 07, 2014, 07:06:14 AM »

Online Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2402
Eric Gordon's career TS% is 56.2%.  Paul Pierce for his career is 56.8%.  Nate Robinson is 53.6% for his career.  Gordon was less efficient the last two years with the injury and struggled a bit early this year, but he is getting back to his pre-injury form (it takes awhile when you are injured), which is nothing like what you are describing.  Defensively he is still a bit slower than he was and he was never great defensively, but your assessment of his overall game clearly does not match reality.

It's a shame how things of gone lately for Eric Gordon because he really had everything you want in a 2nd scoring option at the SG position.

A terrific long distance jump-shooter. A strong dribble drive threat who can get into the paint and finish around the basket. Got to the FT line at a high clip (6-7 FTAs a game). Had very good ball-handling ability. Turned himself into a well above average and good secondary creator on the perimeter. Very tough in the pick and roll and in transition.

Eric Gordon had the whole package (offensively). All those key areas you want in today's game with the absence of hand-checking on the perimeter and the growing importance of spacing.

« Reply #415 on: March 07, 2014, 08:02:17 AM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith

It's a shame how things of gone lately for Eric Gordon because he really had everything you want in a 2nd scoring option at the SG position.

A terrific long distance jump-shooter. A strong dribble drive threat who can get into the paint and finish around the basket. Got to the FT line at a high clip (6-7 FTAs a game). Had very good ball-handling ability. Turned himself into a well above average and good secondary creator on the perimeter. Very tough in the pick and roll and in transition.

Eric Gordon had the whole package (offensively). All those key areas you want in today's game with the absence of hand-checking on the perimeter and the growing importance of spacing.
He is starting to get back to that form.  If he can avoid another injury there is a good chance he goes back to that (or at least close) especially given he is still a young guy.

And for the record Kobe's career TS% is 55.5% (or almost a percent lower than Gordon's).

« Reply #416 on: March 07, 2014, 08:05:55 AM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25629
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
3.1 is still on the block.  We'd need to stay in the 3rd round to move it.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #417 on: March 07, 2014, 08:37:43 AM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
don't think I can help you as I don't see much benefit in moving up two spots.  If you want to move DeRozan I would have an interest in him however.

« Reply #418 on: March 07, 2014, 08:40:51 AM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047
So there is no snake drafting for Pick 2? I just realized my pick is at 245 every day, and that's the worst possible time for me.
hasn't been a snake-draft format since I've been playing the past few sessions.  Personally, I don't think it should be-->no reason the player that picks Miami should get both the 30th and 31st picks (or as the case would be this year, 20th and 21st).  the players getting the tail end of the team selection wouldn't really be able to put together a team on that level.

as for the time, I can sympathize.  I usually have to request a slot at the end so that it doesn't conflict with my schedule.  the organizers have bent over backwards in the past to accommodate time requests when given some notice.

« Reply #419 on: March 07, 2014, 08:41:35 AM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047
so my offer of 3.2 wasn't good enough for you?