Author Topic: 2014 Pick 2: General Commentary  (Read 260351 times)

Re: 2014 Pick 2: General Commentary
« Reply #780 on: March 13, 2014, 04:12:28 PM »

Offline BigAlTheFuture

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 458
Portland will add the playoff tested, Lebron stopping, high IQ'd, all around veteran play of Boris Diaw
BOOO  HISSS

took my next guy you thief!!   guess that's fair play for stealing Brewer from you.

Ha! Payback!
Dang it, PJ! Let me regroup here.

Haha I feel like we've been on the same page for most of this draft.

Shoulda known you were targeting Diaw after all the trade offers you've sent me for him in DKC!
PHX Suns: Russell Westbrook, Chris Bosh, Tristan Thompson, Trevor Ariza, Tony Allen, Trey Lyles, Corey Brewer, Larry Nance Jr., Trey Burke, Troy Daniels, Joffrey Lauvergne, Justin Holiday, Mike Muscala, 14.6

« Reply #781 on: March 13, 2014, 04:13:51 PM »

Offline pearljammer10

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 885
Portland will add the playoff tested, Lebron stopping, high IQ'd, all around veteran play of Boris Diaw
BOOO  HISSS

took my next guy you thief!!   guess that's fair play for stealing Brewer from you.

Ha! Payback!
Dang it, PJ! Let me regroup here.

Haha I feel like we've been on the same page for most of this draft.

Shoulda known you were targeting Diaw after all the trade offers you've sent me for him in DKC!

Haha! TP!

« Reply #782 on: March 13, 2014, 04:31:29 PM »

fitzhickey

« Reply #783 on: March 13, 2014, 04:50:09 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1533
New Orleans Pelicans

PG: George Hill/Mario Chalmers
SG: Victor Oladipo/Kobe Bryant
SF: Chandler Parsons/P.J. Tucker
PF: Anthony Davis/Brandon Bass
C: DeAndre Jordan/Enes Kanter
Strong defensive team, but that is going to be a team that is going to struggle to score against the teams of the quality in this thing.  No good drive and dish guys, no one to take over games, only Parsons and Hill as shooters (and at 38% they aren't elite).  The gamble on Kobe isn't going to pay off this year, and with another year and a lot more rust, I can't see him ever being close to the player he once was.  Just a real struggle offensively.  I think you would have been better served keeping Gordon whose drive and dish and outside shooting would have been huge to that roster.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #784 on: March 13, 2014, 05:00:47 PM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2401
New Orleans Pelicans

Strong defensive team, but that is going to be a team that is going to struggle to score against the teams of the quality in this thing.  No good drive and dish guys, no one to take over games, only Parsons as a shooter (and he isn't even elite).  Just a real struggle offensively.  I think you would have been better served keeping Gordon whose drive and dish and outside shooting would have been huge to that roster.

Yeah, I was surprised by the choices of George Hill and Mario Chalmers.

I really like both players but I thought New Orleans would have gone for more of a playmaking PG instead. Preferably with their starting PG instead of Hill or even as a backup PG to provide contrast to George Hill's style of play when something different may be needed.

It puts a lot of pressure on Oladipo to be the main creator offensively off the dribble. I am not sure that is good for Oladipo. A mistake-prone player right now. I think a playmaking PG to take some pressure of his plate and allowing him to be the secondary creator on the perimeter would've helped him.

Jeff Teague was the player on the board when George Hill was picked that I was expecting NOP to take. I thought his dribble penetration and playmaking would've been a good fit.

« Reply #785 on: March 13, 2014, 05:04:15 PM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith
New Orleans Pelicans

I really like what NOP have done with the bench. A top backup center in Kanter. Two above average backup forwards in PJ Tucker and Brandon Bass. A really solid two-way guard in Mario Chalmers. To put together such a strong bench with three late picks was really impressive. I think it's one of the stronger bench units in the CB Pick II.
« Last Edit: March 13, 2014, 05:09:27 PM by Who »

« Reply #786 on: March 13, 2014, 05:37:00 PM »

Offline JBcat

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 512
New Orleans Pelicans

Strong defensive team, but that is going to be a team that is going to struggle to score against the teams of the quality in this thing.  No good drive and dish guys, no one to take over games, only Parsons as a shooter (and he isn't even elite).  Just a real struggle offensively.  I think you would have been better served keeping Gordon whose drive and dish and outside shooting would have been huge to that roster.

Yeah, I was surprised by the choices of George Hill and Mario Chalmers.

I really like both players but I thought New Orleans would have gone for more of a playmaking PG instead. Preferably with their starting PG instead of Hill or even as a backup PG to provide contrast to George Hill's style of play when something different may be needed.

It puts a lot of pressure on Oladipo to be the main creator offensively off the dribble. I am not sure that is good for Oladipo. A mistake-prone player right now. I think a playmaking PG to take some pressure of his plate and allowing him to be the secondary creator on the perimeter would've helped him.

Jeff Teague was the player on the board when George Hill was picked that I was expecting NOP to take. I thought his dribble penetration and playmaking would've been a good fit.

You guys pretty much covered it.  An awesome defensive team but a little frail in the backcourt with Kobe out.  Lots of 85 to 80 games with this team.

« Reply #787 on: March 13, 2014, 05:38:48 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1533
Any thoughts on the Kings with two rounds left

Starters - Isaiah Thomas, Eric Gordon, Jimmy Butler, Dirk Nowitzki, Demarcus Cousins
Bench - Kendall Marshall, Michael Carter-Williams, Vince Carter, Miles Plumlee, Nerlens Noel
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #788 on: March 13, 2014, 05:42:42 PM »

Offline AB_Celtic

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 460

Starters - Isaiah Thomas, Eric Gordon, Jimmy Butler, Dirk Nowitzki, Demarcus Cousins
Bench - Kendall Marshall, Michael Carter-Williams, Vince Carter, Miles Plumlee, Nerlens Noel

I think your 4-5 rotation is one of the best in this exercise. Dirk-Cousins is a perfect fit, Nerlens has tons of potential, and I love Plumlee's game.

That said, I think every other position is fairly weak. Thomas I'm okay with, but next to Gordon that's one small frontcourt. I also think Jimmy Butler should be primarily a SG. MCW and Carter are nice pickups, and I'm meh on Marshall.

I'd look to add a bigger wing player next round who can take some minutes at the 3, or maybe try to move Gordon or Thomas for one.

« Reply #789 on: March 13, 2014, 05:54:57 PM »

fitzhickey

Thoughts on Toronto?
PG: Lowry/Jeremy Lin
SG: JJ Reddick/Avery Bradley
SF: DeMar DeRozan/Demarre Carrol
PF: Josh Smith/Ryan Anderson
C: Pau Gasol/Thiago Splitter

« Reply #790 on: March 13, 2014, 06:01:03 PM »

Offline JBcat

• Ray Allen
Thoughts on Toronto?

Very solid team but I can see the frontcourt a little erratic with Josh Smith, Gasol on the downside of his career, and Anderson out. 

« Reply #791 on: March 13, 2014, 06:25:16 PM »

Offline JBcat

• Ray Allen
A little worried about my interior D but Al Jefferson has turned the corner this year on defense.  His coaches has said as much too.  Lots of smart GMs here so picking 17th in the first round my team isn't real top heavy, and tried to go after guys that are a little under the radar, or trending up.

Some of my guys have been on a tear lately.

big Al's last 10 games 25.6 PPG, 9.5 RPG, .546 FG% (Maybe best low post scorer in league)
Faried's last 6 games in March 20.3 PPG, 10.3 RPG, .655 FG%
Olynyk's last 3 games in March 16.7 PPG, 6.6 RPG, .493 FG% 3 point shooting improving
Tobias Harris's last 10 games 18.8 PPG, 6.4 RPG, .519 FG%.  Always liked this player.
Ross last 9 games 13.6 PPG and .523 FG% Excellent 3 pt shooter.  Coming into his own since they traded Gay.

Really like my backcourt of Beal and Wall.  Focus my offense around Wall and Jefferson with others playing off of them

Saying all that it's going to be tough beating some of the teams out there.  :-\

Adding to the theme of my team Cody Zeller has been playing much better lately.  8.1 PPG, 5.1 RPG, .500 in 17.5 MPG in his last 10 games.

Brandon Knight 20.3 PPG, 5.0 APG, .466 FG% in his last 10 games.

Gerald Henderson has been injured of late but have always liked him.

So I have now

PG: Wall/Knight
SG: Beal/Henderson
SF: Harris/Ross Could flip flop but like Ross's scoring off the bench
PF: Faried/Olynyk/Harris (in small ball lineups)
C: A Jefferson, C Zeller

Still a little worried about the backup bigs. 

« Reply #792 on: March 13, 2014, 06:39:07 PM »

fitzhickey

Thoughts on Toronto?

Very solid team but I can see the frontcourt a little erratic with Josh Smith, Gasol on the downside of his career, and Anderson out.
Thanks man,

just wanna point out Gasol's per 36 are his career best :)

« Reply #793 on: March 13, 2014, 06:58:22 PM »

Offline JBcat

• Ray Allen
Thoughts on Toronto?

Thanks man,

just wanna point out Gasol's per 36 are his career best :)

Wow. Never would guessed without checking his numbers.  Aging well.  ;)

« Reply #794 on: March 13, 2014, 07:03:19 PM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith

I think it's a dynamic and deadly offensive team.

Dirk Nowitzki is an incredible offensive player. Just the threat of his outside shooting opens up so much space for everyone else. Throw in the low post game (and high post game) of D.Cousins. Then mix in a pair of guards (I.Thomas, E.Gordon) who are dangerous dribble drive threats and are very strong outside shooters ... incredibly difficult to defend.

But, Dirk is the guy. He gives order and balance to everything. I might worry a bit about chemistry without him, but, with him, I think Dirk brings everything together offensively and makes it work at a wonderful level.

I really like Jimmy Butler on this team. Glue guy. Does all the little things. Enables the offense with his well-rounded game. Does the dirty work defensively. Rebounds. Tough. Always plays hard.

On the bench - I like Vince Carter. Still playing well. Another highly skilled backup SF to add into the offensive mix. A pair of backup centers in Plumlee and Noel who will do the dirty work in the paint. I like MCW. Great prospect. Not wild about Kendall Marshall. I think a scoring PG would be better to pair with MCW (SG). A jump-shooting PF and defensive guard/wing would finish it off nicely.