Author Topic: Would the Lakers deal their 2014 1st for Rondo?  (Read 15205 times)

Re: Would the Lakers deal their 2014 1st for Rondo?
« Reply #30 on: February 28, 2014, 12:19:06 PM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047
#1 No helping the Lakers (getting more banners then us?)

#2 No trading Rondo, specially since no one will give the proper return.

#3 Not trading a star for the draft pipe dream.

#4 No helping the Lakers.

#5 No Lakers personal or fans would do this trade unless they have a real super-team in the making.
In this case see points 1,4 and 7

#6 Wait and see where their pick will be... Overall first in the "lottery" probably.

#7 NO HELPING THE LAKERS  >:(

I am not convinced trading Rondo for a pick in the top 10 range is "helping the Lakers" any more than it is helping the Celtics.
you should be.

Lakers get a great PG that prefers dishing to scoring which is just what Kobe and Love/Melo would love.  C's get a pick that MIGHT become an all-star talent IF they're lucky.  small chance the player becomes as good as Rondo.

would prefer to keep Rondo and watch Kobe twist in the wind in frustration over not being good enough to sniff the title

« Reply #31 on: February 28, 2014, 12:35:01 PM »

Offline ssspence

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 403
#1 No helping the Lakers (getting more banners then us?)

#2 No trading Rondo, specially since no one will give the proper return.

#3 Not trading a star for the draft pipe dream.

#4 No helping the Lakers.

#5 No Lakers personal or fans would do this trade unless they have a real super-team in the making.
In this case see points 1,4 and 7

#6 Wait and see where their pick will be... Overall first in the "lottery" probably.

#7 NO HELPING THE LAKERS  >:(

I am not convinced trading Rondo for a pick in the top 10 range is "helping the Lakers" any more than it is helping the Celtics.
you should be.

Lakers get a great PG that prefers dishing to scoring which is just what Kobe and Love/Melo would love.  C's get a pick that MIGHT become an all-star talent IF they're lucky.  small chance the player becomes as good as Rondo.

would prefer to keep Rondo and watch Kobe twist in the wind in frustration over not being good enough to sniff the title

Dismissing the notion that they player the Cs received in return couldn't be a franchise player, especially if the pick in question was, say, the 2nd or 3rd pick, defeats the purpose of the question. If it's a draft day trade, the Cs would be getting the player, not the pick.

If the Lakers (or any other team) would trade Jabari Parker or Dante Exum for Rondo, Ainge would obviously consider that seriously before making a decision. He's not emotional about other teams or players, just the success of the Celtics organization.

Mike

(My name is not Mike)

« Reply #32 on: February 28, 2014, 12:35:58 PM »

Offline LooseCannon

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 950
The market for Rondo around the league has NEVER been what people on this blog perceived it to be.

No shock there.

I think many people here understand that the level of return that Ainge should ask for in any Rondo trade is less than what other teams are willing to give up.  There are plenty of teams that would trade for Rondo if the price is right.  Ainge isn't going to set the price that low.  Nor should he.
"The worst thing that ever happened in sports was sports radio, and the internet is sports radio on steroids with lower IQs.” -- Brian Burke, former Toronto Maple Leafs senior adviser, at the 2013 MIT Sloan Sports Analytics Conference

« Reply #33 on: February 28, 2014, 12:39:13 PM »

Offline Vermont Green

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 870
To use some Realtor parlance, we have a pretty good "comparable" here.

The New Orleans Pelicans announced today that they have acquired 2013 All Star Point Guard Jrue Holiday and Pierre Jackson, the 42nd overall pick in the 2013 NBA Draft, in exchange for the Pelicans first pick in the 2013 NBA Draft, with whom they selected Kentucky F Nerlens Noel, as well as the Pelicans top five lottery protected first round selection in next year's draft.

Nerlens Noel ended up being the #6 pick but Phili got another 1st as well in exchange for Holiday and the 42nd pick.

I think Jrue Holiday is a better player than core Rondo fans would admit but even with that, I am also pretty sure that the Lakers would value Rondo at least a little more than New Orleans valued Holiday.  I also recognize that this draft has some potential studs that last year did not but Noel was a highly sought after player (albeit damaged).

So if you play the comparable game, Rondo plus a second would get something better than a first this year and a protected first next year.  A first this year is already better than an injured first last year so that is the deal.  If we could get that, I would consider it a steal for us based on where we are in the rebuilding (as I think it was a steal for Phili).  It doesn't mean the Lakers lose the trade though or that the Pelicans lost that trade.

The reason that Holiday and probably Rondo can fetch 2 picks is that picks are risky whereas established players are less risky.  The Pelicans made a call that they were ready to win now and the Lakers may think that way too.

I have no idea though if the Lakers would do this for 2 picks and I am not sure I would want the Celtics to do it for just 1 pick.

« Reply #34 on: February 28, 2014, 12:46:03 PM »

Offline tstorey_97

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 586
Both Bryant and Lebron have stated in interviews that Rondo is an extraordinary player. Why? Because Rondo cut them up in the playoffs. Both of them and on more than one occasion.

I do believe Ainge will trade him this summer, but, if he doesn't? What the he&% is the matter with that?

Rondo is "showtime", beyond Chris Paul, what other PG has the media flash that Rondo does? Plays games with broken arms, skips games, wins games, wins titles, throws sh&% at refs gets suspended, gets thrown out games for starting fights (with future team mates),tells the media to go ef themselves, has numerous hall of famers rave about how good he is...etc

Lakers GM on draft night..."hmmm do I want an unknown 20 year old or Rondo whose on the front page of the freaking newspaper once a month? What do I want "Mr. National TV" playing in LA for? Let's take the 19 year old from Australia or the Cameroonian volley ball player....sure, that's a great idea." Hard to pass up "proven talent" isn't it?

The NBA is a TV show. The NBA needs stars and Rondo is a star, of course LA wants him...except, how are they going to get him?

If Ainge trades Rondo for LA's pick it means one thing....he felt he "had" to trade him because he thought he was going to lose him and nobody knows that except Ainge and Rondo.

« Reply #35 on: February 28, 2014, 12:47:24 PM »

Offline The One

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 203
I am loving this idea.  And the Lakers at least have to think about it.  This is  so good for the Celtics that it has no chance of happening.

« Reply #36 on: February 28, 2014, 01:25:02 PM »

Offline Sketch5

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 280
It really depends on the pick, if it's in the top 5 and we have one in top five, it's hard not to think about doing it.

I love Rondo, I like his attitude, but this thing with him defying Stevens and staying in LA really bothers me, especially if he's the supposed captain. Up until last week I was impressed with him being on the bench not playing and supporting the team, and thought maybe being out grew him out of some of those bad attitude habits he had before. And now with the team rebuilding, do you think his attitude is going to get better. Defying a new young coach is something that DA doesn't want going on. I think he see's Stevens as an elite coach, but he has to grow, and a player defying him will stunt that, and could cause other players not to respect him.

If your getting a top 5 pick it's hard not to consider it. Top 3, you'd be an idiot not to, even if it is dealing with the Lakers and if they do get better sooner than us.

But if you could snag on of three of Wiggins, Paker or Emiid, and a nother player int he top 6, your rebuild gets a nice jump start. If you can get super lucky and get two of those guys, bring in some vets to teach them a thing or two, that trade is worth selling your soul to get.

Think about if you make that trade and your starting core is Wiggins/Parker, Embiid, Sully. In a few years they are all still under 25. While Rondo,Melo and Lebron are getting into their 30's and Kobe is most likely done.

« Reply #37 on: February 28, 2014, 02:05:48 PM »

Offline ddb

• Joe Mazzulla
  • Tommy Points: 17
Listen, I love Rondo as much as the next guy.  But in most drafts, if there's an opportunity to have TWO top 5 picks then you NEED to take advantage of that opportunity.  Even if it costs you Rajon Rondo.  Sure, there's risk involved, but that's the type of move that great teams make.  This is exactly how Dynasties are formed. 

The other option is keeping Rondo (28 years old with a major knee injury on his resume) and likely to want a max or near max deal in 2015. Trade for Kevin Love or whoever and roll the dice on that core.  It's a good option.  equally as risky. 

this is why I think a lot of this comes down to the draft lottery.  If Boston is Top 3 then they are keeping their pick.  No way Ainge trades it unless he gets Kevin Durant back.  which isn't happening. 
This is where Danny would start seriously considering a trade involving Rondo.  Lakers make sense. 

« Reply #38 on: February 28, 2014, 04:57:28 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1549
Assuming the lottery goes exactly like record, LA has the 4th pick and Boston has the 5th pick.  So if Boston traded Rondo for Nash and the 4th pick, then Boston would likely end up with Randle or Vonleh and Exum.  I would think Boston would make the trade with the Lakers in that situation.  Now if Boston's own pick is say 2 or 3 and they end up with say Parker, I'm not quite as sure as Parker is much more ready to play right now so keeping Rondo in that situation would make a lot more sense. 
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #39 on: February 28, 2014, 05:01:35 PM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2016
Only if it falls outside the top 5.  Nobody is trading a top 5 pick in this draft for Rondo.  Pick 7-10 would probably be in play.

Lakers have 24 mil in cap space.  They will sign a superstar this offseason and still probably have assets to trade for Love and/or Rondo.

« Reply #40 on: February 28, 2014, 05:49:21 PM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327
Only if it falls outside the top 5.  Nobody is trading a top 5 pick in this draft for Rondo.  Pick 7-10 would probably be in play.

Lakers have 24 mil in cap space.  They will sign a superstar this offseason and still probably have assets to trade for Love and/or Rondo.
The Lakers have one asset, their draft pick this year that's it.

They have zero picks incoming and already owe:

2014 second round draft pick to Milwaukee
L.A. Lakers' 2014 2nd round pick to Milwaukee (via Phoenix to Minnesota) [L.A. Lakers-Phoenix, 7/11/2012 and then Minnesota-New Orleans-Phoenix, 7/27/2012 and then Milwaukee-Minnesota-Oklahoma City, 7/11/2013]

2015 first round draft pick to Phoenix
L.A. Lakers' 1st round pick to Phoenix protected for selections 1-5 in 2015, 1-3 in 2016 or 1-3 in 2017 or unprotected in 2018 [L.A. Lakers-Phoenix, 7/11/2012]

2015 second round draft pick to Orlando
L.A. Lakers' 2015 2nd round pick to Orlando protected for selections 31-40 (if this pick falls within its protected range and is therefore not conveyed, then the L.A. Lakers' obligation to Orlando will be extinguished) [Denver-L.A. Lakers-Orlando-Philadelphia, 8/10/2012]

2017 first round draft pick to Orlando
If at least two years after the L.A. Lakers conveyed a 1st round pick to Phoenix, then the L.A. Lakers' 1st round pick to Orlando protected for selections 1-5 in 2017 or 1-5 in 2018 or unprotected in 2019; if the L.A. Lakers have not conveyed a 1st round pick to Phoenix by 2017, then the L.A. Lakers will instead convey their 2017 2nd round pick and 2018 2nd round pick to Orlando [L.A. Lakers-Phoenix, 7/11/2012 and then L.A. Lakers-Orlando, 8/10/2012]

In other words they can't trade a future draft pick till forever or until the Phoenix pick is finally conveyed. They also don't have any young good players under contract.

They have an albatross in Kobe, their draft pick this year if they do the old "draft then trade a players rights", and cap space. That's it.

Basically they're in Brooklyn's situation roughly except they haven't also foolishly given away a bunch of swap rights too.
« Last Edit: February 28, 2014, 06:00:10 PM by Fafnir »

« Reply #41 on: February 28, 2014, 06:10:25 PM »

Online 86MaxwellSmart

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 379
Ainge is not trading Rondo for JUST a top 5 pick...Lakers would have to include other picks...They do not need Melo---if they can sign Love---Rondo, Kobe, Love and a cheaper Gasol would get them to the Finals.
Larry Bird was Greater than you think.

« Reply #42 on: February 28, 2014, 06:11:32 PM »

Offline Smokeeye123

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 156
Lakers would never do this. However if they were 100% Love would just sign in free agency. Gasol/Kobe/Rondo/Love would be an interesting team...too old though imo.

« Reply #43 on: February 28, 2014, 06:18:30 PM »

Offline D.o.s.

• NCE
  • Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 1239
Ainge is not trading Rondo for JUST a top 5 pick...Lakers would have to include other picks...They do not need Melo---if they can sign Love---Rondo, Kobe, Love and a cheaper Gasol would get them to the Finals.

More like Ainge COULDN'T trade Rondo for a top 5 pick.

this message brought to you in part by gratuitous capitalization.
At least a goldfish with a Lincoln Log on its back goin' across your floor to your sock drawer has a miraculous connotation to it.

« Reply #44 on: February 28, 2014, 08:00:34 PM »

Offline Celtics18

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1469

More like Ainge COULDN'T trade Rondo for a top 5 pick.

this message brought to you in part by gratuitous capitalization.

Italics are so much more civilized.
DKC Seventy-Sixers:

PG: G. Hill/D. Schroder
SG: C. Lee/B. Hield/T. Luwawu
SF:  Giannis/J. Lamb/M. Kuzminskas
PF:  E. Ilyasova/J. Jerebko/R. Christmas
C:    N. Vucevic/K. Olynyk/E. Davis/C. Jefferson