Author Topic: Would the Lakers deal their 2014 1st for Rondo?  (Read 15181 times)

Would the Lakers deal their 2014 1st for Rondo?
« on: February 28, 2014, 09:08:46 AM »

Offline gpap

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 417
After the deadline, it's become quite clear that the market for Rondo is not what we may have thought.

That said, one team that I can really see going after Rondo is the Lakers.

I think the Lakers are going to be pull out all the stops to become relevant again after an awful couple seasons and didn't Kobe once say he really liked Rondo as a player?

Anyway, was wondering if anyone else could see the Lakers deal for Rondo by giving up this year's 1st rounder?

What would work about this is it looks like the Lakers are going to end up being either just as bad as the Celts or possibly worse!

Re: Would the Lakers deal their 2014 1st for Rondo?
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2014, 09:13:43 AM »

Offline BleedGreen1989

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 568
After the deadline, it's become quite clear that the market for Rondo is not what we may have thought.

I think the Lakers are going to be pull out all the stops to become relevant again after an awful couple seasons and didn't Kobe once say he really liked Rondo as a player?

Anyway, was wondering if anyone else could see the Lakers deal for Rondo by giving up this year's 1st rounder?

What would work about this is it looks like the Lakers are going to end up being either just as bad as the Celts or possibly worse!

I disagree with your first sentence but agree overall that the Lakers may be willing to trade their pick for Rondo.
*CB Miami Heat*
Kyle Lowry, Dwayne Wade, 13th pick in even numbered rounds, 18th pick in odd numbered rounds.

« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2014, 09:19:08 AM »

Offline gpap

• Don Nelson

I disagree with your first sentence but agree overall that the Lakers may be willing to trade their pick for Rondo.

I am just going by what Danny Ainge said. Last week he was on the Hub with Felger and mentioned something along the lines of "20 of the 30 teams in the NBA already have a point guard, hence have no need for Rondo."

Back to the Lakers, yeah with old man Nash likely retiring, I can see them needing an established point guard and be willing to give up their pick.

« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2014, 09:21:36 AM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2401
If LA's pick is outside the top 3, I think they would trade it for Rondo. Or trade it for someone else (Kevin Love).

Otherwise, I think they keep it.

« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2014, 09:39:01 AM »

Offline Celtics17

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 108
I think the more relevant question is ''would the Celts trade Rondo for LA's pick"? I think if it's top 3 then of course and probably if it's top 5 but beyond that I dont think we would.

Rondo is undervalued if you ask my opinion. This is a guy who dominates when you need it the most and does so against the best competition. Guys who have his playoff series aren't found often and I am not sure they will be found in this years draft either.

« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2014, 09:42:20 AM »

Offline JBcat

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 512
Maybe only if we secured Exum with our pick or the pick we trade for.

« Reply #6 on: February 28, 2014, 09:43:48 AM »

Offline D.o.s.

• NCE
  • Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 1239
I don't think you could trade Rondo for a top 5 pick, and certainly not a top 3
At least a goldfish with a Lincoln Log on its back goin' across your floor to your sock drawer has a miraculous connotation to it.

« Reply #7 on: February 28, 2014, 09:55:50 AM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867
If their choices include

Embiid
Parker
Wiggins
Exum
Randle

And possibly
Smart

Then no. But 7 and after i say yes

« Reply #8 on: February 28, 2014, 09:58:28 AM »

Offline Spilling Green Dye

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 115
I don't think the Lakers do, but they might.  As a Celtics fan I wanted to trade Rondo for the Laker's #1 unprotected especially after seeing how hard their remaining schedule is. My bet is that the Lakers finish with the 3rd worst record and the Celtics with the 5th or 6th worst. 

Let's say the Lakers get the #4 pick in this draft.  They still might do the Rondo trade b/c they definitely have a higher appreciation of his talents than most other teams.  In addition, he fits in with the "showtime" entertainment brand they've been successful with, not to mention that we all know he performs better when the spotlight is on him. 

I'm I'm Danny Ainge I'd definitely try to sell this angle and hope that the Lakers bite. 

« Reply #9 on: February 28, 2014, 10:15:36 AM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047
depends on the pick.  Celtics only interested in top 3.  Lakers probably only if it's 4 or later.
-->my reasoning, Celtics figure to have a pick in top 7 already.  if they traded Rondo, they'd need that building block player in the top 3 and a get a good PG prospect with the next pick -- probably Smart.  Lakers would only move the #4 or later since they'd also want that glamourous building block and wouldn't move a top 3.  everyone after that point they'd have to hope would be as good as Rondo so they'd cash the pick in for the sure thing to keep Kobe happy and productive while securing another top player (assuming Pau is gone).

If 4 or later, not interested since Lakers would have to send more assets and they don't have anything of interest.

« Reply #10 on: February 28, 2014, 10:20:42 AM »

Offline gpap

• Don Nelson
I don't think the Lakers do, but they might.  As a Celtics fan I wanted to trade Rondo for the Laker's #1 unprotected especially after seeing how hard their remaining schedule is. My bet is that the Lakers finish with the 3rd worst record and the Celtics with the 5th or 6th worst. 

Let's say the Lakers get the #4 pick in this draft.  They still might do the Rondo trade b/c they definitely have a higher appreciation of his talents than most other teams.  In addition, he fits in with the "showtime" entertainment brand they've been successful with, not to mention that we all know he performs better when the spotlight is on him. 

I'm I'm Danny Ainge I'd definitely try to sell this angle and hope that the Lakers bite.

Exactly where I am coming from. I don't mean this in a bad way, but I think Rondo has Laker written all over him.

Showtime like player, plays stronger in the prime-time televised games plus unlike Sacramento or Toronto, I think he'd be alot more willing to sign an extension in Hollywood playing with Kobe and whoever else they can recruit.

To further make it interesting, maybe both teams wait til the free agent moratorium in early July so maybe the Celts can also get Pau Gasol in a S&T.

Gasol and Sully could be a really nice front court (assuming all the Love stuff doesn't pan out.)

« Reply #11 on: February 28, 2014, 10:40:10 AM »

Offline smiggity

• Joe Mazzulla
  • Tommy Points: 3
I like this idea. Kobe and Rondo have recently and repeatedly expressed their mutual admiration for each other's game (see http://www.sbnation.com/lookit/2014/1/17/5321106/kobe-bryant-and-rajon-rondo-call-each-other-names-lovingly).

For the organizations, the incentive to make such a deal depends entirely on how the ping pong balls fall.

IMHO, the Celtics will be most incentivized to make a deal if the BPA at their pick is a PG like Exum, Smart, or Ennis and they are unable to move the pick in a deal for Kevin Love.

IMHO, the Lakers will be most incentivized to make a deal if their pick falls outside the projected superstars at 1-3 (Embiid, Wiggins, Parker) and maybe Exum (LA and Exum have already been linked - see http://www.cbssports.com/nba/eye-on-basketball/24457934/report-nba-personnel-concerned-exum-will-try-to-force-his-way-to-lakers).

Under such a scenario, the Celtics would end up with one of the top-rated PGs (Exum, Smart, Ennis) and would presumably use the other pick on a big guy (Randle, Vonleh, Gordon). I suppose the Celtics might also be interested if they won the lottery and drafted Embiid and could use the LAL pick to pair him with one of the PGs. That would reset the window and orient the ages of their stars (Thunder rebuild model rather than 08 Celtics rebuild model).

Something to keep an eye on.

« Reply #12 on: February 28, 2014, 10:42:41 AM »

Offline smiggity

• Joe Mazzulla
  • Tommy Points: 3
I should add that the deal would come with some salary relief for the Celtics since it would presumably involve Steve Nash who would probably retire.

« Reply #13 on: February 28, 2014, 10:45:46 AM »

Offline clover

• Front Page Moderator
  • Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 315

Exactly where I am coming from. I don't mean this in a bad way, but I think Rondo has Laker written all over him.

Showtime like player, plays stronger in the prime-time televised games plus unlike Sacramento or Toronto, I think he'd be alot more willing to sign an extension in Hollywood playing with Kobe and whoever else they can recruit.

To further make it interesting, maybe both teams wait til the free agent moratorium in early July so maybe the Celts can also get Pau Gasol in a S&T.

Gasol and Sully could be a really nice front court (assuming all the Love stuff doesn't pan out.)

The big thing about trading Rondo to a team like the Lakers is that he'd likely sign a new contract with them, making such a trade more valuable for Rondo, the Lakers, and the C's.

Certainly we can assume he'd prefer LA to Sacramento.

« Reply #14 on: February 28, 2014, 10:56:09 AM »

Offline gpap

• Don Nelson

The big thing about trading Rondo to a team like the Lakers is that he'd likely sign a new contract with them, making such a trade more valuable for Rondo, the Lakers, and the C's.

Certainly we can assume he'd prefer LA to Sacramento.

Yup. I also think the Lakers would deal us their pick EVEN if it's in the top 3. I really do.

I think with Kobe entering his final years, they are going to be so desprate for starts they would even deal a Wiggins for Rondo.