Author Topic: Godzilla (2014)  (Read 11868 times)

Re: Godzilla (2014)
« Reply #15 on: May 18, 2014, 10:38:00 PM »

Offline Smokeeye123

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 156
Yeah it's no where near trash but  its not winning any academy awards haha.

The monster scenes were phenomenal. Albeit short, they could of been longer. I get holding them back and increasing the anticipation but come on. Anyways great special effects and a solid score. Cranston did well in his part, wish he was in the movie longer.

I hated the love story and just checked my phone during those parts lol. But overall I'd probably give it 3/4 stars. Definitely worth the price to see it.

« Reply #16 on: May 18, 2014, 10:42:29 PM »

Offline Eddie20

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 975
Loved the imax experience with this one! Well worth the extra few bucks.

« Reply #17 on: May 18, 2014, 10:50:17 PM »

Offline GreenFaith1819

• NCE
  • Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 2785
As an old-school Godzilla fan, I must say this one was AWESOME.

My only knock is maybe MORE Godzilla, but the way they mixed the fights and storyline was well-done.

Now let's do Godzilla 2 - and bring back the giant cockroach Megalon and Godzilla's robot sidekick lol ;D

But yeah - great movie.

« Reply #18 on: May 18, 2014, 11:14:02 PM »

fitzhickey

As an old-school Godzilla fan, I must say this one was AWESOME.

My only knock is maybe MORE Godzilla, but the way they mixed the fights and storyline was well-done.

Now let's do Godzilla 2 - and bring back the giant cockroach Megalon and Godzilla's robot sidekick lol ;D

But yeah - great movie.
King Ghidorah created with today's special effects would be so awesome!

« Reply #19 on: May 18, 2014, 11:40:44 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867
saw the movie today. What a waste of money. 

« Reply #20 on: May 19, 2014, 12:06:46 AM »

Offline Spilling Green Dye

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 115
I too had been looking forward to this movie for months, and this past Friday threw a small party where we had a bunch of sushi, sake, and watched the original (American 1956) version of Godzilla before heading out to see the new one. 

Maybe I hyped myself up too much, but I thought the movie was so-so.  Like some have mentioned I could have done without the whole main actor, his wife, or kid.  There was a scene in the original Godzilla of a woman huddling helplessly by a building with her two crying daughters.  That scene provided way more emotion & attachment than the 45 minutes spent in this new godzilla on the main actor and his family.

SPOILER ALERT:
And of course the main actor and his family completely survive intact.  Were the "Good guys" really in jeopardy of losing?  Like every other American-made blockbuster the good guys come out completely unscathed.  I can't remember the last blockbuster I saw in the theater where the bad guys triumph at least a little.  Give me the gritty original movie anytime over the new emotionless CGI-fest. 

« Reply #21 on: May 19, 2014, 12:54:27 AM »

Offline Future Celtics Owner

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 191
  • Celtic's only raise championship Banners
I was waiting for this movie forever...actually since the last one with Broderick. But why is it that these new movies weather it be superman, godzilla, the new spiderman etc....all have one thing in common, the directors and producers forget what they have is already gold and try to add to the plot and story line.

I mean whats cool about superman is superman. Thats what people love. I could make a great movie on just Clark kent and his story without having to add backstories, originations, and the worst, romance. That goes for all the movies that have blown as of recently, besides Star Trek.

These idiots buy the rights to these movies we all love and completely forget about the main character and try their hands at origins romance .....

« Reply #22 on: May 19, 2014, 01:24:33 AM »

Offline Mazingerz

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 99
The actors were meh. But Godzilla ruled. The fights scenes were awesome. My son's smile was priceless and he still keeps talking about it at breakfast. Gonna buy the dvd after its out.

Can't wait for the following: Mechagodzilla, Mothra, Ghidora, etc. I am a big fan of Godzilla (well except for the Broderick version of T-Rex Godzilla);
Peavey Bass Player - relearning to play after 10 years sucks;

« Reply #23 on: May 19, 2014, 03:52:50 AM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2016
I saw it too.  What exactly were you expecting?  It's a freakin Godzilla movie.  It was fine.

I heard a while ago that that Del Toro was open to doing a Pacific Rim/Godzilla crossover.   Same producers and studio. 

I'd say the chances of that happening are very good.

Both films were successful and covered roughly the same content.... and every studio is trying to build towards their own movie universes after the success of "Avengers"... Legendary Pictures will be the kaiju studio.
« Last Edit: May 19, 2014, 06:06:49 AM by LarBrd33 »

« Reply #24 on: May 19, 2014, 11:59:54 AM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867
I saw it too.  What exactly were you expecting?  It's a freakin Godzilla movie.  It was fine.

I heard a while ago that that Del Toro was open to doing a Pacific Rim/Godzilla crossover.   Same producers and studio. 

I'd say the chances of that happening are very good.

Both films were successful and covered roughly the same content.... and every studio is trying to build towards their own movie universes after the success of "Avengers"... Legendary Pictures will be the kaiju studio.

Pacific Rim was 5 times better than Godzilla.

« Reply #25 on: May 19, 2014, 12:08:17 PM »

Offline BigAlTheFuture

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 458
Overall, I liked the movie. My biggest complaint about the movie is the lead actor. The Kick-Ass guy just didn't do it for me. Did not feel attached to any of the characters. Besides that opening scene with Cranston and his wife. That was gut wrenching.

SPOILER:

I felt the movie would have been a lot better if a great actor like Cranston was the lead. Was really mad when they killed him off so soon.
PHX Suns: Russell Westbrook, Chris Bosh, Tristan Thompson, Trevor Ariza, Tony Allen, Trey Lyles, Corey Brewer, Larry Nance Jr., Trey Burke, Troy Daniels, Joffrey Lauvergne, Justin Holiday, Mike Muscala, 14.6

« Reply #26 on: May 19, 2014, 12:16:41 PM »

Offline Mr October

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 247
I dug it. Fun action scenes. Terrible story telling, and main characters though.

If you like Godzilla you will have fun with this movie on the big screen.

Also, i agree that Pacific Rim was better. It also had cornball story telling, but at least it stuck to a story arc.

« Reply #27 on: May 19, 2014, 12:19:54 PM »

Offline Mr October

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 247
BigAl, i agree with your spoiler. That took me out of the movie for quite a while. :-(

His story was the only good human interest angle.

« Reply #28 on: May 19, 2014, 12:32:21 PM »

Offline pearljammer10

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 885
Been waiting to see Godzilla for sooooo long.... Hope to catch it when the lines, somewhat, die down.

« Reply #29 on: May 19, 2014, 01:03:15 PM »

Offline bucknersrevenge

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 170
I thought it was awesome. IMAX was well worth it. Cranston's storyline really grounded it for me and he was excellent. Otherwise all it would've been was Godzilla roaming around for 90 minutes and who cares? If I wanted aimless Godzilla with no point and no people I'm invested in I'll watch the Broderick version. They did a great job of fleshing out real 3-dimensional  characters with real emotions so then when the real star finally hit the screen they had built it up enough to actually have a worthy payoff. I didn't want to root for Godzilla just because it was Godzilla. They actually gave me a reason to root for Godzilla which I thought was cool. It was definitely worth it.
Never underestimate the predictability of stupidity...