Author Topic: Kanter to Celtics trade idea  (Read 9648 times)

Re: Kanter to Celtics trade idea
« Reply #15 on: February 25, 2014, 09:15:29 AM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867
Sean Grande ‏@SeanGrandePBP

Derrick Favors returns against Boston. That matters why? His backup, Enes Kanter is a West-worst -328, and in his 25 starts, Utah is 1-24

Jared Sullinger (concussion) out again tonight here in Salt Lake City. 2013-14 Celtics… With Jared Sullinger: +22 Without him: -234

I know +/- isn't everything but it sure does tell us something. Sullinger makes his team better, Kanter doesn't.

Kanter, although still very young and with room to improve, is closest to David Lee there is in the NBA. His defense is so bad that it kills everything good he does on the other end of the floor.

Kanter is still getting his feet wet. Jazz overall have been a bad team until burke has come to help at the pg position and burks coming off the bench

Kanter with more strength could be a decent center. Not any worse then asik or gortat in time

« Reply #16 on: February 25, 2014, 09:24:37 AM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327

Derrick Favors returns against Boston. That matters why? His backup, Enes Kanter is a West-worst -328, and in his 25 starts, Utah is 1-24

Jared Sullinger (concussion) out again tonight here in Salt Lake City. 2013-14 Celtics… With Jared Sullinger: +22 Without him: -234

I know +/- isn't everything but it sure does tell us something. Sullinger makes his team better, Kanter doesn't.

Kanter, although still very young and with room to improve, is closest to David Lee there is in the NBA. His defense is so bad that it kills everything good he does on the other end of the floor.

Kanter is still getting his feet wet. Jazz overall have been a bad team until burke has come to help at the pg position and burks coming off the bench

Kanter with more strength could be a decent center. Not any worse then asik or gortat in time
He's the same age as Sullinger, played 1000 more minutes, and is actually a third year player compared to a second year player like Sullinger.

So while its true Kanter is still figuring things out the comparison of his impact compared to Sullingers is more than fair.

« Reply #17 on: February 25, 2014, 09:37:31 AM »

Offline CFAN38

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 420
I think Kanter's potential is as a 15-17ppg and 10rpg third option type.

Defensively, he doesn't have great length. Only so-so length with okay size. Which hurts him on that end of the floor. Not much of a shot-blocker. Doesn't intimate guys when they come into the paint. Still, has solid size with good strength and quickness so Kanter has the tools to become a plus defender (position based defender rather than rim protector) but I doubt he ever becomes a shot-blocker.

Offensively, his lack of explosive athleticism huts him. He doesn't create enough separation from his defender. So a lot of hotly contested shots when used as a go-to scorer. Which hurts his efficiency. He will be comfortable as a 3rd option type than a main go-to guy. Hence, why I see him as a 15-17ppg threat rather than someone with 20ppg potential.

I'd love to see him improve his defensive rebounding. Terrific offensive rebounder.

A good young center who should become a top 15 maybe borderline top 10 center.

I do like Kanter. Quite a bit. I just don't think Kanter has enough high end potential to justify giving up Sully to get him. I'd rather go after someone like Omer Asik to put alongside Sully.

Kanter from the nba website has a 7'3 wingspan and i'm guessing a 9'2 reach at least. Plus has above avg quickness and some lift for a Center.

I just feel we desperately need a Center to get this rebuild done properly. And the sooner the better. We might be the only team in the nba without a legit center. Every team pretty much has one , even the Bobcats.  Faverani is slowly looking like a bust. Just looks lost out there and is kind of soft

For what its worth

Kanter had a 7'1.5" wingspan and 9'1.5" reach at combine

http://www.draftexpress.com/profile/Enes-Kanter-5168/
Mavs
Wiz
Hornet

« Reply #18 on: February 25, 2014, 09:41:30 AM »

Offline Boris Badenov

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 1065

Good post, TP.

I'm taking back my interest in Kanter. I hadn't realized he was this awful on D (and also, but to a lesser extent, in other areas). I read some other things and they all corroborated the story told by the plus-minus numbers.

http://saltcityhoops.com/enes-kanter-vs-the-world/

« Reply #19 on: February 25, 2014, 09:49:06 AM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867

Good post, TP.

I'm taking back my interest in Kanter. I hadn't realized he was this awful on D (and also, but to a lesser extent, in other areas). I read some other things and they all corroborated the story told by the plus-minus numbers.

Do you remember the kanter we faced the last time we met the jazz vs yesterdays?

He is playing much better. Like how KO has been playing better. He was only a freshman when leaving college. He needs time and confidence. He wont get that chance properly with the jazz as they have favors pegged as their starting center

« Reply #20 on: February 25, 2014, 11:55:40 AM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047
threw the idea out there in the game thread last night but with Kanter going to Cleveland for Deng instead of Kanter to Boston.

Makes more sense for both Cle and Utah.  Deng's leaving Cle because it's a mess but Utah is improving and has good young pieces in place with Favors, Hayward and Burke with another prime pick coming in this year.

Cle gets the Center they really need and get someone under their control for a couple more years that they can continue building with.

obviously more pieces have to be included to make it work but that seems like a better fit for Utah.

I wouldn't trade Sully for Kanter.  Sully's more developed and has a bigger impact on the game.  Maybe move a vet for him like Bass, Green or Hump in terms of talent-->a vet to help them develop that still plays well and on a reasonable deal (or expiring for Hump but expected to sign for much less next year)

« Reply #21 on: February 25, 2014, 11:59:30 AM »

Offline McHales Pits

• NCE
  • Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 175
Count me as someone who thinks that Kanter just isn't that good
2013 CB Draft Champions*: Minnesota Timberwolves
DKC League: Washington Wizards

« Reply #22 on: February 25, 2014, 12:08:12 PM »

Offline arctic 3.0

• NCE
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 406
Wait for the draft...
If we can land Embiid then we may look to sign or trade for a vet center to bridge the gap till the kid can take over.
If we don't get Embiid we will go after a long term solution, possibly asik or Monroe

« Reply #23 on: February 25, 2014, 12:10:16 PM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1834
Our options at the center position are too great to give up Sully in a trade for a guy who is below average. Pass.

« Reply #24 on: February 25, 2014, 12:37:53 PM »

Offline jaketwice

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 102
I like a core of Sully, Olynyk (if AND ONLY IF he can get his shot going, and his 3P% up over 36/37%) and Rondo. ...if that's the core, then we need an all world shooting guard, and a defensive minded center. Kanter for Sully means giving up on Olynyk's development, and puts us in need of another forward, as well.

« Reply #25 on: February 25, 2014, 12:38:34 PM »

Offline Boris Badenov

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 1065

Good post, TP.

Do you remember the kanter we faced the last time we met the jazz vs yesterdays?

He is playing much better. Like how KO has been playing better. He was only a freshman when leaving college. He needs time and confidence. He wont get that chance properly with the jazz as they have favors pegged as their starting center

I chose to revise my opinion after looking at some facts.

You are of course entitled to maintain your opinion in the face of those facts, or to make up your own facts if that's what you prefer. As an example, the "Kanter we faced the last time we played the Jazz" had 22 and 8 with a -4 in a game the Jazz lost by 10. Last night he had 12 and 5, and was -1 in a game the Jazz won by 12.

« Reply #26 on: February 25, 2014, 01:00:09 PM »

Offline CelticG1

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 288
People complain about our guys and the  look to get guys on one of the worst teams in the league.

wouldnt the jazz be a bit better if Kanter , favors or hayward were any good.

I jist habe no interwst in adding a guy like especially since they will most likely all be over paid underperforming players

« Reply #27 on: February 25, 2014, 01:02:21 PM »

Offline Mr October

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 247
Favors is a center?

Favors and Kanter both operate better around the basket, with favors playing better defense.

« Reply #28 on: February 25, 2014, 01:12:04 PM »

Offline Mr October

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 247
People complain about our guys and the  look to get guys on one of the worst teams in the league.

wouldnt the jazz be a bit better if Kanter , favors or hayward were any good.

I jist habe no interwst in adding a guy like especially since they will most likely all be over paid underperforming players

You raise a solid point.

Sometimes an organization, environment, teammates are terrible, and a star player needs a change of scenery. For example Demarcus cousins would probably be doing more damage if he were a Celtic, Laker, Spur, Pacer, etc.

On the flip side, lance Stephenson probably doesn't reach his potential playing for Sacramento, Philly or Cleveland.

But i consider Utah a pretty well run organization, and the players appear to all be talented and professional.  So why haven't the play making of Gordon and Burke, and the finishing of favors, Kanter, Gordon, burks, etc not translated into more wins?

I suppose the answer is that none of those players are all stars, and non of them deserve big time money.

For the record, i would rather have sullinger on this team over Kanter, sully has more offensive skill, and i believe that building around a center who plays bad defense is a recipe for disaster, if a person wants to win a title with Kanter as a starting center, they better have a defender like KG or horford at power forward.