Author Topic: Kanter to Celtics trade idea  (Read 9652 times)

Kanter to Celtics trade idea
« on: February 24, 2014, 11:47:38 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867
To Jazz: Sullinger
To Celtics: Kanter

Straight up trade.

Kanter and Favors are really both Centers. Sullinger would help the team from the perimeter better. Plus he and Burke are good buddies.

The Celtics on the other hand get a legit Center. He is still improving and 15 pounds of muscle away from getting an ideal center body.  I like his game and length to bother shots especially. 

thoughts? Is it an equal trade?

Re: Kanter to Celtics trade idea
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2014, 11:51:23 PM »

Online Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2404
Sully > Kanter

Neither guy is a great athlete or defensive talent so I go with the more skilled offensive player and that is Sully.

« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2014, 11:55:50 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
Sully > Kanter

Neither guy is a great athlete or defensive talent so I go with the more skilled offensive player and that is Sully.

What else would you want to make it an equal trade then??

To me it seems near equal. Not easy to find a good center in this league. Kanter has some more progressing to do but i see the potential. I mean he was chosen 3rd overall after all

« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2014, 11:58:14 PM »

Online Who

• James Naismith
Sully > Kanter

To me it seems near equal. Not easy to find a good center in this league. Kanter has some more progressing to do but i see the potential. I mean he was chosen 3rd overall after all

I think is a fair trade. Two young players of similar value.

I just think Sully is the better individual piece so he is the one I want.

« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2014, 12:01:56 AM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2969
Sully > Kanter

Sully was rated like a top five lottery pick.....before his back issue came up ......and DA scored

« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2014, 12:09:36 AM »

Online Who

• James Naismith
I think Kanter's potential is as a 15-17ppg and 10rpg third option type.

Defensively, he doesn't have great length. Only so-so length with okay size. Which hurts him on that end of the floor. Not much of a shot-blocker. Doesn't intimate guys when they come into the paint. Still, has solid size with good strength and quickness so Kanter has the tools to become a plus defender (position based defender rather than rim protector) but I doubt he ever becomes a shot-blocker.

Offensively, his lack of explosive athleticism huts him. He doesn't create enough separation from his defender. So a lot of hotly contested shots when used as a go-to scorer. Which hurts his efficiency. He will be comfortable as a 3rd option type than a main go-to guy. Hence, why I see him as a 15-17ppg threat rather than someone with 20ppg potential.

I'd love to see him improve his defensive rebounding. Terrific offensive rebounder.

A good young center who should become a top 15 maybe borderline top 10 center.

I do like Kanter. Quite a bit. I just don't think Kanter has enough high end potential to justify giving up Sully to get him. I'd rather go after someone like Omer Asik to put alongside Sully.

« Reply #6 on: February 25, 2014, 12:10:52 AM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
Sully > Kanter

Sully was rated like a top five lottery pick.....before his back issue came up ......and DA scored

I like Sully but if i had to choose between him and Olynyk as our potential starting PF, i would choose Olynyk. With strength i see KO be a consistent producer. Just has great height and skills for a pf. With sullinger on the other hand its a hit or a miss from game to game it seems. Just his height and lack of a great lift or extra length will cause matchup issues for him. Nice strength and rebounder, but he has to work extra hard out there to make it equal vs taller matchups.

« Reply #7 on: February 25, 2014, 12:16:16 AM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
I think Kanter's potential is as a 15-17ppg and 10rpg third option type.

Defensively, he doesn't have great length. Only so-so length with okay size. Which hurts him on that end of the floor. Not much of a shot-blocker. Doesn't intimate guys when they come into the paint. Still, has solid size with good strength and quickness so Kanter has the tools to become a plus defender (position based defender rather than rim protector) but I doubt he ever becomes a shot-blocker.

Offensively, his lack of explosive athleticism huts him. He doesn't create enough separation from his defender. So a lot of hotly contested shots when used as a go-to scorer. Which hurts his efficiency. He will be comfortable as a 3rd option type than a main go-to guy. Hence, why I see him as a 15-17ppg threat rather than someone with 20ppg potential.

I'd love to see him improve his defensive rebounding. Terrific offensive rebounder.

A good young center who should become a top 15 maybe borderline top 10 center.

I do like Kanter. Quite a bit. I just don't think Kanter has enough high end potential to justify giving up Sully to get him. I'd rather go after someone like Omer Asik to put alongside Sully.

Kanter from the nba website has a 7'3 wingspan and i'm guessing a 9'2 reach at least. Plus has above avg quickness and some lift for a Center.

I just feel we desperately need a Center to get this rebuild done properly. And the sooner the better. We might be the only team in the nba without a legit center. Every team pretty much has one , even the Bobcats.  Faverani is slowly looking like a bust. Just looks lost out there and is kind of soft

« Reply #8 on: February 25, 2014, 12:17:12 AM »

Offline Boris Badenov

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 1065

Straight up trade.

Kanter and Favors are really both Centers. Sullinger would help the team from the perimeter better. Plus he and Burke are good buddies.

The Celtics on the other hand get a legit Center. He is still improving and 15 pounds of muscle away from getting an ideal center body.  I like his game and length to bother shots especially. 

I don't know, Sully's back issues might still depress his trade value. We could probably make it happen with another asset.

I actually would love the Kanter/Sully frontcourt. And, KO is a pretty good fit as a stretch 4 (or backup big) with Favors.

No way KO alone gets it done though IMO. We'd probably have to throw in two other assets...or a pretty valuable future first round pick.

« Reply #9 on: February 25, 2014, 12:19:09 AM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce

Straight up trade.

I don't know, Sully's back issues might still depress his trade value. We could probably make it happen with another asset.

I actually would love the Kanter/Sully frontcourt. And, KO is a pretty good fit as a stretch 4 (or backup big) with Favors.

No way KO alone gets it done though IMO. We'd probably have to throw in two other assets...or a pretty valuable future first round pick.

you know what, i think Jazz would take Olynyk for Kanter straight up also.  They liked KO before we drafted him.  He has played well against the Jazz this year

« Reply #10 on: February 25, 2014, 12:42:59 AM »

Offline blink

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1479
I too like Sully more than Kanter.  Kanter isn't a bad player, but I like Sully's upside and high bbiq. 

Kanter is a bit taller, but doesn't protect the rim.  I think we need someone who is a better shot blocker and a better finisher at the rim to pair with sully.  To me this is a lateral move that doesn't help us in the long run.

« Reply #11 on: February 25, 2014, 12:45:49 AM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2016
Favors is a center?

« Reply #12 on: February 25, 2014, 12:53:35 AM »

Online Who

• James Naismith
Favors is a center?
Favors is a combo PF/C. Can be used at either spot.

It is looking more and more likely that his future will be as a center though because of Favors' failure to develop his offensive game. As a starting PF, Favors would be one of the 2-3 least skilled PFs in the league. So you need to pair him with a highly skilled center to use him there (one with range on his jumpshot like Varejao had with Ilgauskas). Not many of those around so Favors is forced to play center in most situations. A bit undersized there but he has a quickness advantage and is a very good overall athlete which allows him to be effective as an undersized center.

« Reply #13 on: February 25, 2014, 01:02:02 AM »

Offline Boris Badenov

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 1065
Favors is a center?

I'm not sure what your meaning of "is" is, but he's been starting at C for Utah for the latter half of the year, with Kanter coming off the bench.

It seems like Utah wants him at C.

« Reply #14 on: February 25, 2014, 07:48:56 AM »

Offline henr1k

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 58
Sean Grande ‏@SeanGrandePBP

Derrick Favors returns against Boston. That matters why? His backup, Enes Kanter is a West-worst -328, and in his 25 starts, Utah is 1-24

Sean Grande ‏@SeanGrandePBP

Jared Sullinger (concussion) out again tonight here in Salt Lake City. 2013-14 Celtics… With Jared Sullinger: +22 Without him: -234

I know +/- isn't everything but it sure does tell us something. Sullinger makes his team better, Kanter doesn't.

Kanter, although still very young and with room to improve, is closest to David Lee there is in the NBA. His defense is so bad that it kills everything good he does on the other end of the floor.