Author Topic: How the Sacramento Deal Could've Been Salvaged?  (Read 2616 times)

How the Sacramento Deal Could've Been Salvaged?
« on: February 21, 2014, 09:24:27 AM »

Offline gpap

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 417
I think out of all the rumored Rondo trade offers (Kings, Knicks, Rockets) that the Sacramento one could've been the most valuable one.

The Kings have young players, future draft picks and expiring contracts they could've offered the Celts.

I guess what killed the deal was Rondo being unwilling to sign an extension with Sacramento and the Kings not being willing to deal McLemore.

But what if the Celts didn't ask for any picks and offered Kelly Olynyk to sweeten the pie?

And what if Sacramento thought Rondo might change his mind about signing an extension after playing there with Cousins?

Wonder if this could've been worked out

Celts get:
Rudy Gay
Ben McLemore
Aaron Gray
Isiah Thomas
Derrick Williams

Kings get:
Rajon Rondo
Jeff Green
Kelly Olynyk

Sacarmento would've gotten a decent package highlighted by a year and half rental in Rondo which could've driven interest in the team and maybe they could've gotten him to stay.

Celts would've gotten more cap space, expiring contracts and a couple young talented players in McLemore and Williams.

Just wondering what could've been.

Re: How the Sacramento Deal Could've Been Salvaged?
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2014, 09:33:36 AM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327
Why would the C's be interested in that deal?

Unless you think Isiah Thomas/McLemore is a backcourt you can build around it has almost no appeal to a rebuilding squad.

« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2014, 09:35:06 AM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25636
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
I don't think that trade makes us better, now or in the future.  Williams is basically a bust, Gay is a ball-stopper with a huge contract (which I doubt he opts out of) for another season, and McLemore hasn't shown much so far.

This seems more like a "make a move for the sake of making a move" deal, which isn't in the Celtics best interests.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2014, 09:39:24 AM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327
I don't think that trade makes us better, now or in the future.  Williams is basically a bust, Gay is a ball-stopper with a huge contract (which I doubt he opts out of) for another season, and McLemore hasn't shown much so far.

This seems more like a "make a move for the sake of making a move" deal, which isn't in the Celtics best interests.
Yeah McLemore + picks makes sense

McLemore + draft bust + Jeff Green redux (with super sized contract) + poo poo platter doesn't

« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2014, 09:41:20 AM »

Offline Atzar

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 1649
So basically we'd become the Kings, less the one asset they have that I'd actually want, DeMarcus Cousins.

No thanks.

« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2014, 09:53:24 AM »

Offline gpap

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 417

Yeah McLemore + picks makes sense

McLemore + draft bust + Jeff Green redux (with super sized contract) + poo poo platter doesn't

Nothing wrong with a tasty poo poo platter every now and then (lol.)

« Reply #6 on: February 21, 2014, 09:55:07 AM »

Offline BballTim

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 1123
So basically we'd become the Kings, less the one asset they have that I'd actually want, DeMarcus Cousins.

No thanks.

This.

« Reply #7 on: February 21, 2014, 11:22:34 AM »

Offline PaulAllen

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 55
That would be like swapping 2 bad teams... Trust in DA, he will always take the best deals possible. He has the assets he is just playing the right cards until he cashes in..

« Reply #8 on: February 21, 2014, 11:49:14 AM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047

No thanks.

This.
this twice.

original deal stunk.  the revised version's even worse