Author Topic: Granger to Philly for Turner  (Read 14639 times)

Re: Granger to Philly for Turner
« Reply #45 on: February 20, 2014, 04:19:08 PM »

Offline Snakehead

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 448
Good for the Pacers.  Turner has been super inefficient but has his talents and I think being asked to do less would do good work to make him a better player.

Because Philly Evan Turner wasn't a player I'd want on my team really.  He has some passing skill, some midrange game though.  We will see but yeah, it's pretty much a no brainer for Indy.
"I really don't want people to understand me." - Jordan Crawford

« Reply #46 on: February 20, 2014, 04:19:23 PM »

Online RJ87

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1406
  • Let's Go Celtics!
Wow that sucks for Granger.

Kind of sucks for Turner, too.

Why? Turner said he wanted to win. He may be backing up, but he'll at least get plenty of minutes on the bench. And if George needs some rest, Turner is a great back up imo.

Perfect for him, no stress, can win a ring, and he'll be in a good cultured environment to thrive and grow.

Will he, though? He's gonna be behind Stevenson and George, and he's at his best when he's allowed to dominate the ball.

On the other hand, having Turner gives them some insurance against Stevenson walking.

Turner is actually a good playmaker, they can go big against Miami with Turner playing point forward alongside Stephenson, George, West and Hibbert.
2021 Houston Rockets
PG: Kyrie Irving/Patty Mills/Jalen Brunson
SG: OG Anunoby/Norman Powell/Matisse Thybulle
SF: Gordon Hayward/Demar Derozan
PF: Giannis Antetokounmpo/Robert Covington
C: Kristaps Porzingis/Bobby Portis/James Wiseman

« Reply #47 on: February 20, 2014, 04:19:57 PM »

Offline D.o.s.

• NCE
  • Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 1239
On the other hand, having Turner gives them some insurance against Stevenson walking.
It doesn't, really, because Turner is a FA next year himself.

Isn't Turner RFA, Stephenson UFA?

Bingo. Not to mention that Indiana is unlikely to get outbid on both of those guys, and they've got really redundant skillsets, so they won't have to overpay if one of them gets a ridiculous offer.

edit: RJ, I agree. ball-dominant as in "works best with the ball in his hands"
At least a goldfish with a Lincoln Log on its back goin' across your floor to your sock drawer has a miraculous connotation to it.

« Reply #48 on: February 20, 2014, 04:20:58 PM »

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 1615
  • What a Pub Should Be
Nice job by Indy padding their roster by dumping a player that pretty much had a fork sticking out of them.

Eastern Conference Finals are gonna be Must See TV.

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #49 on: February 20, 2014, 04:23:48 PM »

Online RJ87

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1406
  • Let's Go Celtics!
Eastern Conference Finals are gonna be Must See TV.

I didn't know I could be this excited about a prospective playoff match up that didn't involve the Celtics.
2021 Houston Rockets
PG: Kyrie Irving/Patty Mills/Jalen Brunson
SG: OG Anunoby/Norman Powell/Matisse Thybulle
SF: Gordon Hayward/Demar Derozan
PF: Giannis Antetokounmpo/Robert Covington
C: Kristaps Porzingis/Bobby Portis/James Wiseman

« Reply #50 on: February 20, 2014, 04:28:55 PM »

Offline heyvik

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 75
Hmm philly gets better maybe?? good for us

Actually i dont know why Philly made this trade. Isn't granger damaged goods?

Philly was already a virtual lock for a bottom 3 position in the standings.

exactly.

« Reply #51 on: February 20, 2014, 04:29:38 PM »

Offline cletus1985

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 408
Larry Bird sweetheart deal. What sense this makes for Philly I do not know. They just gave up assets for nothing... .

A second rounder is what they take away? ? Not even an obscure euro player to be named later or something? Great deal for Larry B. Go Pacers!

It's possible there's more to it, but is there really any advantage for Philly here, other than hitting the salary floor?

I'm sure Philly has been pushing Turner hard for awhile now and couldn't get an expiring and a pick combined for him, so at the end of the day they turned him into a poor asset in a late 2nd round pick when nothing else was available. If they had no intentions of matching offers next year a late 2nd rounder with the same cap relief beats just the cap relief, right?

They're also obviously trying to tank for a top 3 pick and this trade definitely supports that strategy, which is the only reason I can come up with for then sending out Allen with Turner (I'm still a little baffled why they did that).

« Reply #52 on: February 20, 2014, 04:36:19 PM »

Offline RyNye

• NGT
  • Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 97
Lavoy Allen is a good pick-up for Indiana. I hope they give him some good minutes off the bench. He is a better rebounder/defender than Scola (who has really fallen off a cliff this season efficiency-wise), even if he is outright hopeless on offense. I actually think he fits their system better than Scola does (who, I must say again, has looked terrible this season. His shooting splits are putrid, he turns the ball over almost 3 times per 36 which is inexcusable for someone with such a low usage rate, and his defense is atrocious).

Evan Turner I have never been that high on, but replacing an old and injured Granger with a young player with upside is the right move. Turner is a good rebounder for his position, and is pretty much right smack in the meaty part of the bell curve (i.e. average) on defense. He has decent court-vision, but makes too many risky passes that end in turnovers. He also gets to the line a lot. It will be interesting to see if his shooting improves not being a starter - as it is, he has been a high-volume low-efficiency chucker in Philly.

« Reply #53 on: February 20, 2014, 04:40:24 PM »

Offline RyNye

• NGT
  • Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 97
Hmm philly gets better maybe?? good for us

Actually i dont know why Philly made this trade. Isn't granger damaged goods?

Philly was already a virtual lock for a bottom 3 position in the standings.

exactly.

It depends on what Philly does with Granger. My prediction is they buy him out or otherwise let him walk away in free agency.

As it stands, Philly is known in league circles for having a mind for analytics. According to most advanced metrics, Lavoy Allen is average and Evan Turner is wildly inefficient. Granger isn't much better, but he is old and injured, and his salary gets them above the league mandated minimum payroll. So it helps Philly keep its books in order, gets rid of players they otherwise would have lost for nothing in free agency (and clearly had no interest in resigning), and further cements their tank for a high pick this year.

In a way, it is actually a pretty sensible trade for them, strategically.

« Reply #54 on: February 20, 2014, 04:50:12 PM »

Offline BballTim

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 1123

I think some people actually wanted to flip Rondo for Granger.

« Reply #55 on: February 20, 2014, 04:52:41 PM »

Offline CelticsFan9

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 116
  • Everyone's excited for the new era.
ET can function as a point-forward for the Pacers, which is helpful against a team like the Heat.  Indy got killed last year for not having enough playmakers.  Now they have two above-average ones in Lance and Turner.  Hill is also very solid, and George is only improving.

One thing that I think is so interesting about the Pacers is that they don't seem to care at all about Lance's impending free agency.  A move like this shows that they are 100% focused on winning the title this season.  They will worry about the offseason when they get there, not right now.  I appreciate them for that.  It's something OKC has failed to do.

« Reply #56 on: February 20, 2014, 04:53:41 PM »

Offline CFAN38

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 420
Love the move,

Really want to see the pacers knock off the heat and think this helps.

If he excepts his role Turner is a great option at 6th man. They will also have the ability to go huge with Turner and Stephenson at the guard positions.

Lavoy Allen is a great bench big for a contender he will give them an above average PF man defender and energy.
Mavs
Wiz
Hornet

« Reply #57 on: February 20, 2014, 04:56:09 PM »

Offline Mr October

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 247

Hopefully the celtics will be out of the tank next season, and the fire sale trades can cease.

« Reply #58 on: February 20, 2014, 05:12:17 PM »

Offline D.o.s.

• NCE
  • Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 1239

14 million expiring contract.
At least a goldfish with a Lincoln Log on its back goin' across your floor to your sock drawer has a miraculous connotation to it.

« Reply #59 on: February 20, 2014, 05:25:33 PM »

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 1294
Zach Lowe@ZachLowe_NBAPhilly also got a future Indy 2nd-round pick in the Granger deal, source says.
Wow. Talk about a daylight robbery.

Cap relief + a pick in the low 50's... Yeah, that's a far cry from the 1st rounder they were allegedly asking for.
That's not really cap relief, as all players involved expire at the end of this season. Perhaps a couple of million this season, but nothing major. Plus, Philly's payroll is ~$45 million, so anything that they're saving this season is really irrelevant in cap terms.

Given that Indiana's future first rounders are likely no better than #25, and that while Evan Turner is no world-beater, he still averaged 17 ppg this season -- I am shocked that Philly failed get a first-round pick in this deal.
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."