Author Topic: Woj: Celtics have no traction on any deals  (Read 21918 times)

Re: Woj: Celtics have no traction on any deals
« Reply #90 on: February 20, 2014, 04:00:10 PM »

Offline D.o.s.

• NCE
  • Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 1239
It doesn't help that whenever a GM does well he's immediately displaced by buffons;
http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/basketball/knicks/grunwald-knicks-gm-replaced-mills-article-1.1468357
At least a goldfish with a Lincoln Log on its back goin' across your floor to your sock drawer has a miraculous connotation to it.

« Reply #91 on: February 20, 2014, 04:08:04 PM »

Offline chambers

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 943
  • Boston Celtics= Championships, nothing less.
I didn't expect anything to happen with Rondo until draft night (if it even does happen) but I'm shocked that we couldn't peel a few 2nd rounders for Bass or Green.

Moving Greens contract before teams start thinking about his player option is going to be a huge task but I guess there was really no one that wanted him.
I would have thought a team like Portland trying to make a serious playoff push with Aldridge's extension talks coming up would have been important to them.
Danny may also have just been breaking balls a bit too much in an effort to gauge potential interest next season.

Only thing that worries me now is the home stretch of games against the league's scum.
I don't know what we do if we end up with the 8th or 9th pick if we go on a winning streak at the end of the season.
It's fine to stand pat but this draft is just so important.

I'm happy we still have Rondo but disappointed we couldn't move at least Bass and let Olynyk get some more burn.
"We are lucky we have a very patient GM that isn't willing to settle for being good and coming close. He wants to win a championship and we have the potential to get there still with our roster and assets."

quoting 'Greg B' on RealGM after 2017 trade deadline.
Read that last line again. One more time.

« Reply #92 on: February 21, 2014, 01:28:18 PM »

Offline wiley

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 386
welp that's that.  No trade.  Cue the months of speculation about draft-day Rondo deals.

I speculate that Rondo won't be traded on draft day unless the Celtics get back a superstar or a package that includes a 2014 top-eight pick, an unprotected future first with lottery potential, and a young player with All-Star potential who is good enough that some fans of the opposing team say they wouldn't trade him straight up for Rondo.

Good luck. I'd be very pleased with 2/3 of those assets.

I'm predicting Ainge will hold out for 3/3 (which is what I would do).

Then RR will either re-sign with us or we'll be forced to let him walk for nothing. That's an incredibly unrealistic deal.
Celtics set the price tag for ROndo as two unprotected 1sts.  They couldn't trade Rondo to a team like the Lakers right now, because it would only improve their pick. 

I guess there's some truth that a draft-day trade would make a lot more sense.  I'm just assuming we're keeping ROndo long-term, though.  At least through next season when he inevitably flees Boston for the Knicks.

Knicks are becoming Cleveland-esque - no major players go there in 2015 unless there's a shake up in management. I'd even put it at 50/50 Melo resigns there this summer.

The knicks can sell themselves as haivng the biggest of all markets. They have the city that never sleeps. And the best they could do in the summer of Lebron was overpay Amare Stoudemire.

And now they are botching the Carmelo era.

It's amazing how bad they are run ever since trading away Patrick Ewing.

Don't forget Boston's superior Connect 4 scene!

« Reply #93 on: February 21, 2014, 01:29:30 PM »

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 1294
I didn't expect anything to happen with Rondo until draft night (if it even does happen) but I'm shocked that we couldn't peel a few 2nd rounders for Bass or Green.
I'd be shocked if Ainge took second-rounders for Bass or Green. Unlike some other GMs, Ainge is not an idiot.
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

« Reply #94 on: February 21, 2014, 01:36:45 PM »

Offline csfansince60s

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 2238
I'd be shocked if Ainge took second-rounders for Bass or Green. Unlike some other GMs, Ainge is not an idiot.

Exactly, and especially Hinkie doing that exact thing for seconds for Turner, Allen and Hawes set the market so we couldn't get more.

He's a dope.

« Reply #95 on: February 21, 2014, 02:11:10 PM »

Offline Kane3387

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 944
  • Intensity!!!

Exactly, and especially Hinkie doing that exact thing for seconds for Turner, Allen and Hawes set the market so we couldn't get more.

He's a dope.

Not really... He was it going to resign them so get at least something for them and in the process make yourself worse to improve your tanking. The second round provides gems every couple years. Do your scouting right and you can get your chandler parsons, deandre Jordan, etc.

KG: "Dude.... What is up with yo shorts?!"

CBD_2016 Cavs Remaining Picks - 14.14

« Reply #96 on: February 21, 2014, 02:14:46 PM »

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 1294
Not really... He was it going to resign them so get at least something for them and in the process make yourself worse to improve your tanking. The second round provides gems every couple years. Do your scouting right and you can get your chandler parsons, deandre Jordan, etc.
That's not the point. You can buy second-rounders for peanuts every year. I'm sure the 76ers didn't plan to resign those guys, but that didn't mean they had to tip their hand and give them away for next to nothing.
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

« Reply #97 on: February 21, 2014, 02:22:43 PM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047
That's not the point. You can buy second-rounders for peanuts every year. I'm sure the 76ers didn't plan to resign those guys, but that didn't mean they had to tip their hand and give them away for next to nothing.
their goal was purely to make the team worse to guarantee a record in the worst 3 with the idea of doing everything possible pre-lottery to wrap up a top 3 pick.  if there's draft karma, they get the worst record and then 3 teams will leapfrog them in the lottery (including the C's of course)

« Reply #98 on: February 21, 2014, 03:00:09 PM »

Offline MBunge

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 471
their goal was purely to make the team worse to guarantee a record in the worst 3 with the idea of doing everything possible pre-lottery to wrap up a top 3 pick.  if there's draft karma, they get the worst record and then 3 teams will leapfrog them in the lottery (including the C's of course)

But at this point, you're talking about improving your draft chances by a miniscule amount.  It's one thing to be a borderline playoff team like Boston was when Ainge arrived and blow it up.  But when you already suck, what is the reason to give away what few assets you have for a bag of beans?

Mike