Author Topic: Woj: Celtics have no traction on any deals  (Read 21904 times)

Re: Woj: Celtics have no traction on any deals
« Reply #60 on: February 20, 2014, 02:58:16 PM »

Offline Smokeeye123

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 156
10 minutes ainge is a joke if he doesnt do anything at all

Lol calm down
we are one trade away from the 3rd or 4th worst record. Stay put and well have the 7th . Its all about odds

« Reply #61 on: February 20, 2014, 02:58:21 PM »

Offline BleedGreen1989

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 568
I understand not trading RR because you cannot get even .50 on the dollar but to move past the deadline with Humph, Bass, KO all on the same roster has to be considered a failure. I was hoping for bass and Green to both be moved but to move neither keeps us in Limbo, we are neither getting better or worse and it sucks.

Really disappointed in Ainge, I think this deadline has to be considered a resounding failure.
Humph will most likely get bought out once his value as a trade asset vanishes.  He serves no purpose for this team.

Doubtful.

Buying him out forfeits his Bird Rights which would just restrict another asset for this summer. Hump will finish the season in Boston.
Humph is a classic buy-out candidate.  Backup big worth less than the MLE eating up minutes on a bottomfeeder team.   In previous years, we'd be sitting here hoping that Humph got bought out so we could give him 10 minutes off the bench for our contender.   Troy Murphy. 

I don't see the point in keeping him.  He's a middling talent.  Prob will sign with the Heat for vet min.  Maybe get 1-2 mil next year from some contender.

I think you're completely overlooking how having a players Bird Rights can be an asset in the new CBA.
*CB Miami Heat*
Kyle Lowry, Dwayne Wade, 13th pick in even numbered rounds, 18th pick in odd numbered rounds.

« Reply #62 on: February 20, 2014, 03:00:16 PM »

Offline bruinsandceltics

• NGT
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 130
  • ANYTHING is posssiiibbbbllee
It's hilarious to me that people are dumping on Ainge for not making any moves.

I am sure Ainge isn't turning down decent offers but if PHI can't get a pick for Hawes and Evan Turner how is Ainge going to get anything for Bass? Hump isn't even really available you would only be trading him to take on salary Ainge doesn't want to that.

Team is under the tax and has one bad contract that nobody wants and has 17 draft picks over the next 5 years.

Sometimes you just hold.

People just want something to talk about because trades are "exciting".

Nothing to do with excitement. Trading Bass for a low pick wouldn't have been exciting. Dumping Humphries for a 2nd wouldn't have been exciting.

But those are the kinds of things that should have been done.

We need to be developing and figuring out if our young guys have any future. Not giving Brandon Bass 30 minutes and Kris Humphries 15-20.

« Reply #63 on: February 20, 2014, 03:01:03 PM »

Offline Jon Niednagel

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 57
And so 3pm passes.
“Being a Celtic is, every decision you make is about the team. Every cut you make is about the team. Every pass you make is about the team. You take yourself out of it. It’s not for everyone. If you don’t want to win, don’t want to play team basketball, and it’s more about you then you’re probably not a Celtic." Doc 2010

« Reply #64 on: February 20, 2014, 03:01:10 PM »

Offline Lucky17

• DKC Commish
  • JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 2352

I am sure Ainge isn't turning down decent offers but if PHI can't get a pick for Hawes and Evan Turner how is Ainge going to get anything for Bass? Hump isn't even really available you would only be trading him to take on salary Ainge doesn't want to that.

Team is under the tax and has one bad contract that nobody wants and has 17 draft picks over the next 5 years.

Sometimes you just hold.

Nothing to do with excitement. Trading Bass for a low pick wouldn't have been exciting. Dumping Humphries for a 2nd wouldn't have been exciting.

We need to be developing and figuring out if our young guys have any future. Not giving Brandon Bass 30 minutes and Kris Humphries 15-20.

How do you dump a $12 mil contract?
DKC League is now on reddit!: http://www.reddit.com/r/dkcleague

« Reply #65 on: February 20, 2014, 03:01:21 PM »

Offline hwangjini_1

• Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 2663
  • bammokja
I understand not trading RR because you cannot get even .50 on the dollar but to move past the deadline with Humph, Bass, KO all on the same roster has to be considered a failure. I was hoping for bass and Green to both be moved but to move neither keeps us in Limbo, we are neither getting better or worse and it sucks.

Really disappointed in Ainge, I think this deadline has to be considered a resounding failure.
Humph will most likely get bought out once his value as a trade asset vanishes.  He serves no purpose for this team.

Doubtful.

Buying him out forfeits his Bird Rights which would just restrict another asset for this summer. Hump will finish the season in Boston.
good point. ainge is not filled with urgency to do something this season. he knows the rebuild is a 3 to 5 year process, at least. why trade or give away any asset now when the possibility of getting more at a later date exists?

hump is valuable primarily because his contract disappears in a few more months. ainge can live with that value and open up salary space by holding on to hump. evidently, what other teams have offered have not looked better than that.

while it is fun to see trades and fun to talk about them. ainge is asking for a lot for his assets and is willing to wait for the summer to cash in. the wins and loses of this season have zero bearing on his decision making.

while boring at the moment, i respect ainge's judgement. and besides, we get to debate all these trades again in a few more months.  ;D
I believe Gandhi is the only person who knew about real democracy — not democracy as the right to go and buy what you want, but democracy as the responsibility to be accountable to everyone around you. Democracy begins with freedom from hunger, freedom from unemployment, freedom from fear, and freedom from hatred.
- Vandana Shiva

« Reply #66 on: February 20, 2014, 03:01:27 PM »

Offline Mr October

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 247
Green and Bass and two second rounders for Deng. It makes so much sense for both sides.

It makes zero sense from the Celtics unless you really want to match any offer that Deng gets as a free agent and you think he will choose Boston.

It would be a salary dump.  Makes sense.

It's idiocy to trade picks to salary dump Green and Bass.  Even the Knicks wouldn't be dump enough to do that.
It's not idiocy to trade crappy 2nd round picks for cap flexibility if there's a plan in mind on how to use that cap flexibility.

If you need cap flexibility, it can be acquired in the off-season.  There is no need to waste useful assets to do it now.

Yeah, i dont want to give away jeff green. He is still a good player!

Let's suppose the celtics draft Joel Embiid. I would like to see a guy like green playing alongside sullinger and Embiid.

Or how about wiggins in the back court with rondo, and green holding down small forward.

Those are potent trios!

Or if the celtics grab an Aaron Gordon in the middle of the lottery, he wouldn't be ready to start as a rookie. Let him back up green and sullinger. A scrambling defense built around rondo, green Gordon and Wallace would be fun to watch next year.

« Reply #67 on: February 20, 2014, 03:01:36 PM »

Offline blink

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1474
Yeah I love it how people are over-reacting to DA not doing anything.  Are they listening on the phone to the deals that DA is talking about?  No they aren't.  If you don't have any real concrete information, how can you even pretend to make a judgement on if he is doing a good job or not.

I agree that if there aren't good deals for us, then no biggie.  We are moving in the right direction.  We have assets and we only have 1 bad contract.  We are so much better off than a lot of other 'bad' teams trying to 'tank' it isn't funny.

« Reply #68 on: February 20, 2014, 03:02:05 PM »

Offline lightspeed5

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 283
Breaking: Celtics trade 2014 1st round pick traded for jimmer fredette

source: https://twitter.com/KIDPRINCE22/status/304745193125597185

« Reply #69 on: February 20, 2014, 03:02:22 PM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2016
welp that's that.  No trade.  Cue the months of speculation about draft-day Rondo deals. 

« Reply #70 on: February 20, 2014, 03:03:13 PM »

Offline fairweatherfan

• Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 2365
  • Be the posts you wish to see in the world.

Dude this tweet is from Feb 21st of last year.  And naturally was bogus then too. 

« Reply #71 on: February 20, 2014, 03:03:31 PM »

Offline BleedGreen1989

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 568

Sometimes you just hold.

How do you dump a $12 mil contract?

That, and how do you get a low pick for Bass? When a superior player on an expiring deal only got two 2nd rounders.
*CB Miami Heat*
Kyle Lowry, Dwayne Wade, 13th pick in even numbered rounds, 18th pick in odd numbered rounds.

« Reply #72 on: February 20, 2014, 03:04:15 PM »

Offline Mr October

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 247

Doubtful.

good point. ainge is filled with urgency to do something this season. he knows the rebuild is a 3 to 5 process, at least. why trade or give away any asset now when the possibility of getting more at a later date exists?

hump is valuable primarily because his contract disappears in a few more months. ainge can live with that value and open up salary space by holding on to hump. evidently, what other teams have offered have not looked better than that.

while it is fun to see trades and fun to talk about them. ainge is asking for a lot for his assets and is willing to wait for the summer to cash in. the wins and loses of this season have zero bearing on his decision making.

while boring at the moment, i respect ainge's judgement. and besides, we get to debate all these trades again in a few more months.  ;D

Or if Ainge finds a good. Bass deal this summer, the celtics could find themselves really thin in the front court. sullinger, Olynyk and Faverani are not going to get it done. humphries could be a nice player to keep on a much smaller contract.

Anyway, i wouldn't buyout humphries either. Stay flexible.

« Reply #73 on: February 20, 2014, 03:04:39 PM »

Offline lightspeed5

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 283

Dude this tweet is from Feb 21st of last year.  And naturally was bogus then too.
haha I know I'm joking.

« Reply #74 on: February 20, 2014, 03:06:10 PM »

Offline LooseCannon

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 950

Doubtful.

Humph is a classic buy-out candidate.  Backup big worth less than the MLE eating up minutes on a bottomfeeder team.   In previous years, we'd be sitting here hoping that Humph got bought out so we could give him 10 minutes off the bench for our contender.   Troy Murphy. 

I don't see the point in keeping him.  He's a middling talent.  Prob will sign with the Heat for vet min.  Maybe get 1-2 mil next year from some contender.

I think you're completely overlooking how having a players Bird Rights can be an asset in the new CBA.

The new CBA makes it less valuable, since it doesn't enable the other team to give a bigger/longer contract and because it hard-caps the player's new team, limiting the market to teams that are not deep into the luxury tax.
"The worst thing that ever happened in sports was sports radio, and the internet is sports radio on steroids with lower IQs.” -- Brian Burke, former Toronto Maple Leafs senior adviser, at the 2013 MIT Sloan Sports Analytics Conference