Author Topic: Woj: Celtics have no traction on any deals  (Read 21920 times)

Re: Woj: Celtics have no traction on any deals
« Reply #45 on: February 20, 2014, 02:47:38 PM »

Offline Jailan34

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 30
I understand not trading RR because you cannot get even .50 on the dollar but to move past the deadline with Humph, Bass, KO all on the same roster has to be considered a failure. I was hoping for bass and Green to both be moved but to move neither keeps us in Limbo, we are neither getting better or worse and it sucks.

Really disappointed in Ainge, I think this deadline has to be considered a resounding failure.
You can't reason someone out of a position they didn't reason themselves into.

« Reply #46 on: February 20, 2014, 02:48:17 PM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2016
Green and Bass and two second rounders for Deng. It makes so much sense for both sides.

It makes zero sense from the Celtics unless you really want to match any offer that Deng gets as a free agent and you think he will choose Boston.

It would be a salary dump.  Makes sense.

It's idiocy to trade picks to salary dump Green and Bass.  Even the Knicks wouldn't be dump enough to do that.
It's not idiocy to trade crappy 2nd round picks for cap flexibility if there's a plan in mind on how to use that cap flexibility. 

« Reply #47 on: February 20, 2014, 02:48:44 PM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
I understand not trading RR because you cannot get even .50 on the dollar but to move past the deadline with Humph, Bass, KO all on the same roster has to be considered a failure. I was hoping for bass and Green to both be moved but to move neither keeps us in Limbo, we are neither getting better or worse and it sucks.

Really disappointed in Ainge, I think this deadline has to be considered a resounding failure.
Humph will most likely get bought out once his value as a trade asset vanishes.  He serves no purpose for this team.

« Reply #48 on: February 20, 2014, 02:49:22 PM »

Offline Smokeeye123

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 156
10 minutes ainge is a joke if he doesnt do anything at all

« Reply #49 on: February 20, 2014, 02:49:51 PM »

Offline heyvik

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 75
nothin happin today

« Reply #50 on: February 20, 2014, 02:50:05 PM »

Offline BleedGreen1989

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 568

Humph will most likely get bought out once his value as a trade asset vanishes.  He serves no purpose for this team.

Doubtful.

Buying him out forfeits his Bird Rights which would just restrict another asset for this summer. Hump will finish the season in Boston.
*CB Miami Heat*
Kyle Lowry, Dwayne Wade, 13th pick in even numbered rounds, 18th pick in odd numbered rounds.

« Reply #51 on: February 20, 2014, 02:50:25 PM »

Offline BigAlTheFuture

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 458

Lol calm down
PHX Suns: Russell Westbrook, Chris Bosh, Tristan Thompson, Trevor Ariza, Tony Allen, Trey Lyles, Corey Brewer, Larry Nance Jr., Trey Burke, Troy Daniels, Joffrey Lauvergne, Justin Holiday, Mike Muscala, 14.6

« Reply #52 on: February 20, 2014, 02:52:02 PM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish

Doubtful.

Buying him out forfeits his Bird Rights which would just restrict another asset for this summer. Hump will finish the season in Boston.
Humph is a classic buy-out candidate.  Backup big worth less than the MLE eating up minutes on a bottomfeeder team.   In previous years, we'd be sitting here hoping that Humph got bought out so we could give him 10 minutes off the bench for our contender.   Troy Murphy. 

I don't see the point in keeping him.  He's a middling talent.  Prob will sign with the Heat for vet min.  Maybe get 1-2 mil next year from some contender.

« Reply #53 on: February 20, 2014, 02:52:11 PM »

Offline D.o.s.

• NCE
  • Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 1239

Does everyone have a much sunnier outlook on our current roster than I do?

I legitimately don't see how, if you're of the mindset that this team needs to be bad, you can consider this a failure if we don't trade guys that have already helped us rack up a 19-36 record.

Our team is already awful. But we are awful in spite of the fact that we have players who are great complementary pieces. What's the problem with holding tight, hanging on to those piece, continuing to suck, and accumulate assets (i.e. draft picks) by standing pat?
At least a goldfish with a Lincoln Log on its back goin' across your floor to your sock drawer has a miraculous connotation to it.

« Reply #54 on: February 20, 2014, 02:52:20 PM »

Offline LooseCannon

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 950
Green and Bass and two second rounders for Deng. It makes so much sense for both sides.

It makes zero sense from the Celtics unless you really want to match any offer that Deng gets as a free agent and you think he will choose Boston.

It would be a salary dump.  Makes sense.

It's idiocy to trade picks to salary dump Green and Bass.  Even the Knicks wouldn't be dump enough to do that.
It's not idiocy to trade crappy 2nd round picks for cap flexibility if there's a plan in mind on how to use that cap flexibility.

If you need cap flexibility, it can be acquired in the off-season.  There is no need to waste useful assets to do it now.
"The worst thing that ever happened in sports was sports radio, and the internet is sports radio on steroids with lower IQs.” -- Brian Burke, former Toronto Maple Leafs senior adviser, at the 2013 MIT Sloan Sports Analytics Conference

« Reply #55 on: February 20, 2014, 02:52:44 PM »

Offline Kane3387

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 944
  • Intensity!!!

Doubtful.

Agreed. It's called a S+T.

KG: "Dude.... What is up with yo shorts?!"

CBD_2016 Cavs Remaining Picks - 14.14

« Reply #56 on: February 20, 2014, 02:53:40 PM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish

Lol calm down
*ring* *ring*

Don't blink.  Blink and you're dead.

« Reply #57 on: February 20, 2014, 02:53:57 PM »

Offline Jailan34

• Jaylen Brown

I can't resort to calling Ainge a joke, but this deadline was not a success. I feel like our roster is still completely mismatched and we have no clear direction. Are we trying to improve? Why not trades to try and acquire better players.

Or are we a rebuilding team focused on player development? Then why is Bass starting over KO, I want to see what the rookie can do with more consistency and a starting spot.

Pick a direction please.

« Reply #58 on: February 20, 2014, 02:55:19 PM »

Offline BleedGreen1989

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 568
It's hilarious to me that people are dumping on Ainge for not making any moves.

I am sure Ainge isn't turning down decent offers but if PHI can't get a pick for Hawes and Evan Turner how is Ainge going to get anything for Bass? Hump isn't even really available you would only be trading him to take on salary Ainge doesn't want to that.

Team is under the tax and has one bad contract that nobody wants and has 17 draft picks over the next 5 years.

Sometimes you just hold.

People just want something to talk about because trades are "exciting".
*CB Miami Heat*
Kyle Lowry, Dwayne Wade, 13th pick in even numbered rounds, 18th pick in odd numbered rounds.

« Reply #59 on: February 20, 2014, 02:56:20 PM »

Offline Jailan34

• Jaylen Brown

Does everyone have a much sunnier outlook on our current roster than I do?

I legitimately don't see how, if you're of the mindset that this team needs to be bad, you can consider this a failure if we don't trade guys that have already helped us rack up a 19-36 record.

Our team is already awful. But we are awful in spite of the fact that we have players who are great complementary pieces. What's the problem with holding tight, hanging on to those piece, continuing to suck, and accumulate assets (i.e. draft picks) by standing pat?

We need to be more awful because being the 6th or 8th worst team is bad yes, but why not try to get into the top 3 if we're already so bad? We need a top 3 pick and to do that we need to move this role players that don't do anything for us.

We're bad, just not bad enough to get to where we need to be without holding RR out of a lot of games.