Author Topic: Woj: Celtics have no traction on any deals  (Read 21916 times)

Re: Woj: Celtics have no traction on any deals
« Reply #15 on: February 20, 2014, 02:11:12 PM »

Offline fairweatherfan

• Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 2365
  • Be the posts you wish to see in the world.
Not a surprise, there's no real pressure to make any deal now vs in the offseason.  If the return's not there, stand pat.  No sense in trading just to trade.

« Reply #16 on: February 20, 2014, 02:15:18 PM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2016
Means nothing.  Wake me up in an hour and a half.

Most likely just Boston leaking that they aren't close to anything with hopes that it will drive up the bidding over the home stretch.

Wish I could have your "glass half full" attitude.
I just think it's a big game of chicken.  It's like the Rockets saying they plan on keeping Asik now.  Do you really believe they want to keep Asik at this point... or are they just trying to drive up the price last second?

We have 45 minutes to go.  We'll see who blinks.

« Reply #17 on: February 20, 2014, 02:18:25 PM »

Offline moiso

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 441
i think danny might be overlooking the appeal of getting worse for this year's draft pick.
Yep.

« Reply #18 on: February 20, 2014, 02:18:57 PM »

Offline fairweatherfan

• Johnny Most

Most likely just Boston leaking that they aren't close to anything with hopes that it will drive up the bidding over the home stretch.

I just think it's a big game of chicken.  It's like the Rockets saying they plan on keeping Asik now.  Do you really believe they want to keep Asik at this point... or are they just trying to drive up the price last second?

How's that 70% figure holding up?  :P

« Reply #19 on: February 20, 2014, 02:20:12 PM »

Offline heyvik

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 75

I think by acquiring Jordan (Hamilton) that sorta puts us out of contention for their bench PF that they were looking for. Bass and Green are not going to Hou now.

« Reply #20 on: February 20, 2014, 02:22:09 PM »

Offline cb8883

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 52
i think danny might be overlooking the appeal of getting worse for this year's draft pick.
Yep.

I don't know if it's Wyc or Danny but someone doesn't have the guts to do a complete tank. Needs to be done.

Terrible. Someone needs to get canned if they don't at least trade Bass. What a joke

« Reply #21 on: February 20, 2014, 02:22:45 PM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish

How's that 70% figure holding up?  :P
So far so good. If it happens, it will happen last second.

« Reply #22 on: February 20, 2014, 02:22:54 PM »

Offline D.o.s.

• NCE
  • Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 1239
Yep.

Or maybe he figures our team is devoid enough of talent to get there already.
At least a goldfish with a Lincoln Log on its back goin' across your floor to your sock drawer has a miraculous connotation to it.

« Reply #23 on: February 20, 2014, 02:23:22 PM »

Offline fairweatherfan

• Johnny Most
Yep.

I don't know if it's Wyc or Danny but someone doesn't have the guts to do a complete tank. Needs to be done.

Terrible. Someone needs to get canned if they don't at least trade Bass. What a joke

Why should we trade guys just to trade them?  We're doing just fine losing games with the team we've got now.

« Reply #24 on: February 20, 2014, 02:23:33 PM »

Offline BballTim

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 1123

With Asik there's something of a "point of no return" aspect. If they try to trade him in the offseason the team that gets him will be grossly overpaying him for a season and then trying to sign him to a new deal. There's no way his value goes up. They have to decide that what production they can get for him (and what they'll pay for it) is more valuable than what they can trade him for.

With Rondo, the chicken seems to be Danny daring teams to make him an offer so good he can't turn it down.

« Reply #25 on: February 20, 2014, 02:24:00 PM »

Offline csfansince60s

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 2238
Very surprised Phoenix hasn't done anything substantive given all their assets and wanting to make/compete in the playoffs.

« Reply #26 on: February 20, 2014, 02:26:00 PM »

Offline heyvik

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 75
Very surprised Phoenix hasn't done anything substantive given all their assets and wanting to make/compete in the playoffs.
yeah...kinda surprised...esp since they have the Okafor deal in hand.

« Reply #27 on: February 20, 2014, 02:26:18 PM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish

With Asik there's something of a "point of no return" aspect. If they try to trade him in the offseason the team that gets him will be grossly overpaying him for a season and then trying to sign him to a new deal. There's no way his value goes up. They have to decide that what production they can get for him (and what they'll pay for it) is more valuable than what they can trade him for.

With Rondo, the chicken seems to be Danny daring teams to make him an offer so good he can't turn it down.
I agree ... but how much of it is Danny bluffing?  If they don't blink... perhaps he will. 

We'll find out in 45 minutes or so.

The narrative all season has been that the Celtics would definitely trade Rondo.  That hurts their bargaining position.  Certainly some teams still believe it.  Ainge is trying to project the idea that they are comfortable with keeping Rondo.  Anyone's guess what's true and what's the game.

« Reply #28 on: February 20, 2014, 02:26:49 PM »

Offline BleedGreen1989

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 568
Yep.

Trade everybody! Fire everybody!

Not sure why people even still bother trying to debate or reason with you CB.
*CB Miami Heat*
Kyle Lowry, Dwayne Wade, 13th pick in even numbered rounds, 18th pick in odd numbered rounds.

« Reply #29 on: February 20, 2014, 02:28:53 PM »

Offline BleedGreen1989

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 568
yeah...kinda surprised...esp since they have the Okafor deal in hand.

Agreed.

I thought the Gasol deal made a lot of sense.
*CB Miami Heat*
Kyle Lowry, Dwayne Wade, 13th pick in even numbered rounds, 18th pick in odd numbered rounds.