Author Topic: BRK/ATL pick looking better  (Read 2628 times)

BRK/ATL pick looking better
« on: February 20, 2014, 01:13:02 PM »

Offline cometboy

• Joe Mazzulla
  • Tommy Points: 14
In case everyone has been distracted by trade rumors and the impending trade deadline, I thought I would update you on the status of our Brooklyn/Atlanta pick (lessor of the two).

It may be a stretch, but they are 4 and 4 1/2 games away from both falling into the lottery. If they both slip down some more, and Detroit and Cleveland move up the standings, our pick could be very good. As things stand right now, if they both just miss the playoffs in the East, they could have the 9th and 10th worse records since the West is so much better. Another top 10 pick would be an excellent addition to Danny's list of assets.

It's a stretch, but Atlanta has lost 7 in a row and Cleveland has won 6 in a row.

Come on Brooklyn and Detroit!

CB

Re: BRK/ATL pick looking better
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2014, 01:17:59 PM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327
I don't see BKN missing the playoffs barring some sever injuries at this point. I think they'll play around .500 ball and easily get in as one of the bottom three seeds.

Still that means the pick will be pretty high, just outside the lottery.

Atlanta looks like the team that's going to fall out, just too banged up at this point.

« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2014, 01:22:58 PM »

Offline cometboy

• Joe Mazzulla
I don't see BKN missing the playoffs barring some sever injuries at this point. I think they'll play around .500 ball and easily get in as one of the bottom three seeds.

Still that means the pick will be pretty high, just outside the lottery.

Atlanta looks like the team that's going to fall out, just too banged up at this point.

I suspect your right. However, because the East is so bad compared to the West, there could be a significant drop by just crossing the boundary into lottery-ville.

« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2014, 01:25:00 PM »

Offline Boris Badenov

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 1065
KG and Pierce are playing their best ball of the season, and will get more minutes down the stretch - the 3rd-6th seeds are worlds better than the 7th-8th this year and everyone on the Nets knows it.

« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2014, 01:28:51 PM »

Offline cometboy

• Joe Mazzulla
come on folks, stop trying to shatter my dream. BTW, the old guys on the Nets can be a little fragile. We have some experience with that.

CB

« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2014, 01:34:46 PM »

Offline JBcat

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 512
Don't forget the Knicks are also knocking on the door of the playoffs too.

« Reply #6 on: February 20, 2014, 01:35:51 PM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2016
As expected... Brooklyn is a playoff team, Boston is a bottomfeeder and Atlanta is teetering between the two.

« Reply #7 on: February 20, 2014, 01:39:53 PM »

Offline cometboy

• Joe Mazzulla
Don't forget the Knicks are also knocking on the door of the playoffs too.

yeah, your right. I forgot about the Ka-nicks. They could go on a run and then Detroit doesn't have to. fafnir is correct, however, Brooklyn is our biggest obstacle. It's just that I had pretty much given up hope this could be a lottery pick, let alone a top 10!

CB

« Reply #8 on: February 20, 2014, 01:40:42 PM »

Offline rondofan1255

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 527
Right now, I would be thrilled with the 17th pick.

About as good as I could expect for 2014 if you had asked me before the season started.

I doubt the Nets will miss the playoffs, but hey...stranger things have happened

« Reply #9 on: February 20, 2014, 01:40:49 PM »

Offline Mr October

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 247
Atlanta has really slid off the rails. Perhaps they finally aren't good enough to sustain the winning without Al Horford.

Brooklyn is indeed humming. You will need to break out the injury voodoo dolls for this one. I think they would need 2 more injuries to knock them out of the playoffs. But considering how old or injury prone they are, anything is possible.

Sadly the 9th and 10th teams in the east dont look like they have enough to get into the playoffs. The pistons are so bad. They look like an oversized pick up team. Somehow Cleveland is putting it together. We will see if they can keep it up.

But i hear ya, and will be hoping for some downward sliding for Atlanta and Brooklyn.

As is, getting the 17th pick looks a lot better than the 20th or 21st pick.  :)

« Reply #10 on: February 20, 2014, 01:41:20 PM »

Offline hwangjini_1

• Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 2666
  • bammokja
even if both atlanta and brooklyn make the playoffs, i think the celtics pick will be in the 17 to 19 range. that is still pretty good in this draft. ainge can get a good player, at least a guy good enough for the rotation if not a starter...with luck.  :)
I believe Gandhi is the only person who knew about real democracy — not democracy as the right to go and buy what you want, but democracy as the responsibility to be accountable to everyone around you. Democracy begins with freedom from hunger, freedom from unemployment, freedom from fear, and freedom from hatred.
- Vandana Shiva

« Reply #11 on: February 20, 2014, 01:42:18 PM »

Offline Mr October

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 247
Right now, I would be thrilled with the 17th pick.

About as good as I could expect for 2014 if you had asked me before the season started.

I doubt the Nets will miss the playoffs, but hey...stranger things have happened

Yeah there are about 18 players at least that i would like to see added to the celtics in this draft. Lots of nice wing players could slide into that range.

« Reply #12 on: February 20, 2014, 01:45:19 PM »

Offline cometboy

• Joe Mazzulla
Brooklyn could even be "one key" injury away from the lottery, not that I am wishing for that. Whatever happens happens. I'm just a little bored with waiting for the deadline to pass.

CB