Author Topic: Dwight Howard doesnt like the idea of playing with Rondo  (Read 11753 times)

Re: Dwight Howard doesnt like the idea of playing with Rondo
« Reply #30 on: February 20, 2014, 02:35:20 PM »

Offline Mr October

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 247
This is silly.

Vescey appears to be making this up out of thin air.  Speculation at it's worst.

Yet considering how badly things went with Kobe Bryant last year, i really dont find it to be a complete stretch that Howard would be so-so on the idea of playing with rondo.

For the record i am 50-50 on vescey. He is a drama stirrer. But guys like Broussard make vescey look like wojnarowski.

Aren't the best types of rumors to make up ... the ones that are at least 'plausible'?

It sounds plausible that Howard may not like the idea of playing with an uber-competitive floor general, because he didn't seem to get along with Kobe (for whatever reason) and so he may not like the idea of playing with Rondo.

But that doesn't make any of it true.

Do you think kobe and Howard had a good relationship? Or at least average?

I live in LA and that drama was spread out all season long. It was bad and annoying to hear about day after day. You are the first person i have heard who has referred to the badness of the Kobe and Howard relationship as speculative perception.

« Reply #31 on: February 20, 2014, 02:36:27 PM »

Offline Mr October

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 247
Ah, Peter Vecsey, an old man with a bottle of gin and a laptop who used to be a sports reporter.

Sad.

TP. nicely done!

« Reply #32 on: February 20, 2014, 02:41:49 PM »

Online blink

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1474
I spent some time on the Rockets blog and they share Dwight's sentiment.  They mostly view Rondo as a marginal upgrade from Lin/Beverly.  Under no circumstance would they even consider trading Parsons for Rondo.  Astounding, really.

That is just the rockets fans wearing their own goggles and over rating their own players.  I know Parsons has had a good year, but cmon.

« Reply #33 on: February 20, 2014, 02:43:09 PM »

Online Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1544
Harden is such a ball dominant SG that I really don't think a Rondo/Harden backcourt would be a good fit.  Couple that with Rondo's poorer outside shooting, terrible foul shooting, and general lack of ability to play more off the ball and it makes some sense, especially with Rondo's prickly personality thrown in.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #34 on: February 20, 2014, 02:43:40 PM »

Offline D.o.s.

• NCE
  • Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 1239
I spent some time on the Rockets blog and they share Dwight's sentiment.  They mostly view Rondo as a marginal upgrade from Lin/Beverly.  Under no circumstance would they even consider trading Parsons for Rondo.  Astounding, really.

That is just the rockets fans wearing their own goggles and over rating their own players.  I know Parsons has had a good year, but cmon.

Parsons is so "underrated" that he's become overrated. Once he stops being the best value in the league (i.e. at the end of this season, when he signs his new contract) the hype should slow down a little bit.
At least a goldfish with a Lincoln Log on its back goin' across your floor to your sock drawer has a miraculous connotation to it.

« Reply #35 on: February 20, 2014, 02:45:51 PM »

Offline BballTim

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 1123
Harden is such a ball dominant SG that I really don't think a Rondo/Harden backcourt would be a good fit.  Couple that with Rondo's poorer outside shooting, terrible foul shooting, and general lack of ability to play more off the ball and it makes some sense, especially with Rondo's prickly personality thrown in.

Maybe they think Harden's like PP in that he's a ball dominant player who can be a more effective and efficient player with a pg like Rondo.

« Reply #36 on: February 20, 2014, 02:51:53 PM »

Online blink

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1474

I agree.  Rondo + Harden isn't a good match.  There was talk a few months ago about how Avery would be a good fit in Houston.  He could play 'small guard' off the ball and be a good fit with Harden.  AB would probably come off the bench for the rockets, but would be a better match.

« Reply #37 on: February 20, 2014, 02:54:31 PM »

Offline mmmmm

• NCE
  • Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 862
This is silly.

Vescey appears to be making this up out of thin air.  Speculation at it's worst.

Yet considering how badly things went with Kobe Bryant last year, i really dont find it to be a complete stretch that Howard would be so-so on the idea of playing with rondo.

For the record i am 50-50 on vescey. He is a drama stirrer. But guys like Broussard make vescey look like wojnarowski.

Aren't the best types of rumors to make up ... the ones that are at least 'plausible'?

It sounds plausible that Howard may not like the idea of playing with an uber-competitive floor general, because he didn't seem to get along with Kobe (for whatever reason) and so he may not like the idea of playing with Rondo.

But that doesn't make any of it true.

Do you think kobe and Howard had a good relationship? Or at least average?

I live in LA and that drama was spread out all season long. It was bad and annoying to hear about day after day. You are the first person i have heard who has referred to the badness of the Kobe and Howard relationship as speculative perception.

What I might 'think' is irrelevant.  I am simply not privy to any useful information to give my 'opinion' on their relationship any credibility.

The only information I have is the superficial stuff we get as fans from the media.   Superficially it would _appear_ that they didn't get along.   That's about as tightly-formed an opinion I would offer on the matter.

This is important: I am not at all suggesting that they didn't have 'badness' between them.  But, imho, we (fans) really have no clue as to how bad that was or why it was so bad (if it was) or if there is any remote connection to how Howard might view Rondo or if he ever even offered an opinion on his relationship (real or potential) with Rondo.

I totally concur that there was the 'appearance of trouble' between Dwight and Kobe.  And that is what allows such a rumor as Vecsey has propogated to have the 'air of plausibility'.   It may be true.  Or it may not.
NBA Officiating - Corrupt?  Incompetent?  Which is worse?  Does it matter?  It sucks.

« Reply #38 on: February 20, 2014, 03:00:16 PM »

Online Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1544

Maybe they think Harden's like PP in that he's a ball dominant player who can be a more effective and efficient player with a pg like Rondo.
Possibly, but Pierce was more efficient with Garnett and Allen taking some of the scoring load than he was when Rondo really took the driver's seat on the offense.  If both Rondo and Pierce were in their prime and playing the two guard positions, I question a bit how successful that pairing would have been.  Houston does have a great shooter at the SF position (Parsons) that could serve the Ray Allen role if the trade went down (and Houston kept Parsons), but I still don't see it as a great fit, especially if Houston had to give up Parsons.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #39 on: February 20, 2014, 03:06:57 PM »

Offline bruinsandceltics

• NGT
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 130
  • ANYTHING is posssiiibbbbllee
Can you blame him? Why would he want to win, when he can sit around in relative anonymity in Houston, make a boatload of cash and have some fun while doing it.

Rondo is a no nonsense kind of guy. A winner. Howard is the opposite. A career loser. Think Vince Carter.

« Reply #40 on: February 20, 2014, 03:09:20 PM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2968
I read this elsewhere as well. Howard doesn't want to play with players hellbent on winning. He shriveled for an entire season in Kobe's shadow. I would be shocked to see a team led by Howard (and harden) win the title.

For all their talent they dont have the obsessive fire to do everything it takes to win the whole thing.

Yup....... Asik seems more serious than Howard .

I expect Harden to,eventually grow tired of Howard's super low IQ