Author Topic: Love this trade idea?  (Read 2146 times)

Love this trade idea?
« on: February 20, 2014, 10:28:46 AM »

Offline ebrick0340

• Xavier Tillman
  • Tommy Points: 19
Excuse the pun!  ;D

I think Ainge is going to try to get Love today to pair with Rondo. Minnesota may not trade him, but I think Ainge may even offer to overpay or take a contract along w/him.  There have been rumblings that they could be buyers instead of sellers and this offer may get the Wolves' attention:

Humphries/Bogans (non-guaranteed after this season)/Sullinger/2014 #1/2015 Clippers #1

for:

Love/Martin

Pairing the league's best passing point guard with its best scoring and rebounding big is a great start to a rebuild. Not wild about Martin or the 2 years remaining on his deal but he is a great shooter. Yes he's 31, but his game isn't predicated on athleticism. Green would now be relegated to the Celtics' 4th scoring option, which is where he belongs on a contender. How do you guys feel about:

Rondo
Martin
Green
Love
C--still have enough picks/assets to maybe go after Asik in the off-season. (How about offering the ATL/BKN pick for him?) He'd be a great fit with this roster and pairing him with Love would be the best rebounding frontcourt in the NBA. Plus Asik is an excellent defender/rim protector and doesn't need the ball in his hands at all to get 8-10 points per game.

I think I would prefer this option to a full-on blowup.

Thoughts?

Re: Love this trade idea?
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2014, 10:33:59 AM »

Offline Monkhouse

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 814
  • A true Celtic plays with heart.
I think its time for the mods to start making a Kevin Love trade idea thread at this point..  :P

I like it, but seriously doubt the Minnesota would take it.

They definitely want an upgrade at SF.

Add Green one of the Nets pick, and I'm sure they'd think hard about it.
"I bomb atomically, Socrates' philosophies and hypotheses
Can't define how I be dropping these mockeries."

Is the glass half-full or half-empty?
It's based on your perspective, quite simply
We're the same and we're not; know what I'm saying? Listen
Son, I ain't better than you, I just think different

« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2014, 10:53:25 AM »

Offline LilRip

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 392
This is more or less the type of package the Kings offered us. Two 1st rd picks + prospect + salary filler/temporary contributor.

i would've bitten on that Kings offer. Perhaps the Wolves will bite on this type of offer as well.
- LilRip

« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2014, 10:58:21 AM »

Offline ebrick0340

• Xavier Tillman
  • Tommy Points: 19
This is more or less the type of package the Kings offered us. Two 1st rd picks + prospect + salary filler/temporary contributor.

i would've bitten on that Kings offer. Perhaps the Wolves will bite on this type of offer as well.

And because of all the picks he's stockpiled, Ainge is in position to up the ante even more. If he really, really wants Love, he'll probably have to blow them away. He could add in the other 2014 pick or one of the Brooklyn picks, or even the right to swap with Brooklyn in 2017.

« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2014, 11:26:34 AM »

Offline action781

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 609
Its certainly intriguing from a celtics vantage point, while I'm pretty happy staying the course we're currently on.  We could potentially get him in FA without having to give up all these assets...

Minnesota knows they aren't luring any FAs there with cap space so Sullinger, a high pick in the upcoming draft, and another future first is a pretty decent package for a guy they won't get fair value for if word keeps up that he's leaving in FA.

A point I've considered recently is that this package (along with others i've seen on cblog) are awfully similar to the Big Al package we sent to Minny for KG.  That trade worked out terribly for them.  Does that make any impact on their likelihood to make a similar deal again?
2020 CelticsStrong All-2000s Draft -- Utah Jazz

Finals Starters:  Jason Kidd - Reggie Miller - PJ Tucker - Al Horford - Shaq
Bench:  Rajon Rondo - Trae Young - Marcus Smart - Jaylen Brown -  Peja Stojakovic - Jamal Mashburn - Carlos Boozer - Tristan Thompson - Mehmet Okur

« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2014, 11:34:52 AM »

Offline Depalma2002

• Brad Stevens
  • Tommy Points: 17
Excuse the pun!  ;D

I think Ainge is going to try to get Love today to pair with Rondo. Minnesota may not trade him, but I think Ainge may even offer to overpay or take a contract along w/him.  There have been rumblings that they could be buyers instead of sellers and this offer may get the Wolves' attention:

Humphries/Bogans (non-guaranteed after this season)/Sullinger/2014 #1/2015 Clippers #1

for:

Love/Martin

Pairing the league's best passing point guard with its best scoring and rebounding big is a great start to a rebuild. Not wild about Martin or the 2 years remaining on his deal but he is a great shooter. Yes he's 31, but his game isn't predicated on athleticism. Green would now be relegated to the Celtics' 4th scoring option, which is where he belongs on a contender. How do you guys feel about:

Rondo
Martin
Green
Love
C--still have enough picks/assets to maybe go after Asik in the off-season. (How about offering the ATL/BKN pick for him?) He'd be a great fit with this roster and pairing him with Love would be the best rebounding frontcourt in the NBA. Plus Asik is an excellent defender/rim protector and doesn't need the ball in his hands at all to get 8-10 points per game.

Thoughts?

I would do that in a heartbeat. I also would throw in Avery Bradley and the 2014 protected Philly pick if needed. That is, if we do the deal now because I would expect our 2014 pick to slide to around the 8-10 area with the addition of Love/Martin.

If they want to do it in the offseason, if our 2014 is top 5, they'll have to take our 2015 first instead.

As it is, if it is done now, I would ask that the 2014 pick be top 3 protected in case we get a lucky bounce of the ping pong balls.

« Reply #6 on: February 20, 2014, 12:22:51 PM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047
Excuse the pun!  ;D

for:

Love/Martin

Rondo
Martin
Green
Love

Thoughts?
probably not enough value for Minnie to do this.  Probably need to include AB and maybe another pick since we're getting Martin who doesn't completely suck regardless of his contract.

would be more intrigued with the idea of standing pat, let Hump, bogans, Bayless, Bass and Anthony all either expire (or trade) by summer of 2015 when Love is a FA and take a shot at him.  C's would have the high pick from this year, a probable-high pick from next year, Rondo, Sully, KO/Fav/Pressey all improving and on rookie deals, maybe AB on a reasonable deal, and Green and Wallace on now-expiring deals.  That may be the better route and only postponing the big splash by 1 year