Author Topic: What "Sources" Do You Trust  (Read 4506 times)

What "Sources" Do You Trust
« on: February 20, 2014, 08:25:51 AM »

Offline boscel33

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 166
I've grown tired of seeing people post rumors from various sources just to have people say, "the source can't be trusted"  for one reason or another.  This isn't the days of stories getting broken by newspapers anymore.  listen to a person such as ian rappaport who has says he almost has to be on his mobile device 24/7 to keep ahead of his competition.  these stories can now come from any where so don't be quick to rule out a rumor or source.  they are what they are, hearsay until proven otherwise.  there were many who beat up stephen a smith for a couple of rumors that he mentioned, that behold, were factual and came true.  let's enjoy trading deadline day and transfer deadline day for what they are.  lots of rumors rumors and speculation. 
"There's sharks and minnows in this world. If you don't know which you are, you ain't a shark."

Re: What "Sources" Do You Trust
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2014, 08:32:20 AM »

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 1615
  • What a Pub Should Be
Sadly, in today's day & age of digital media,  there are a ton of people out there trying to be "first to break thing" while not being accurate. Others are just throwing things out there to see if anything sticks while some people are just trying to get hits on their twitter feed and looking for attention.

Two sources that I put a lot of stock in are Woj & Spears.

Personally, I hate this time of year and am always glad when the trading deadline passes. So much rehash and beating dead horses in the forums in the weeks leading up to the deadline.

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2014, 08:36:41 AM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25629
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
Some reporters routinely make stuff up. Sherrod is one of them. Sam Smith and Peter Vecsey spread garbage. Gary Washburn doesn't understand the CBA, and his stories (and "sources") often reflect that.

I trust Woj, Stein, Spears, Aldridge, Berger and Lowe.  They're not always right, but I don't think they're reporting from the land of make believe. The Herald guys are pretty good, too, on a local level.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2014, 08:46:53 AM »

Offline wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • Basketball is Newtonian Physics
The NBA transaction list.

« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2014, 09:01:32 AM »

Offline ssspence

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 403
Some reporters routinely make stuff up. Sherrod is one of them. Sam Smith and Peter Vecsey spread garbage. Gary Washburn doesn't understand the CBA, and his stories (and "sources") often reflect that.

I trust Woj, Stein, Spears, Aldridge, Berger and Lowe.  They're not always right, but I don't think they're reporting from the land of make believe. The Herald guys are pretty good, too, on a local level.

I think this puts it well, and I agree with your list. Once upon a time I thought Ian Thompsen's perspective was reliable, if maybe not his "sources". Chris Mannix talks big, but I think he has limited legitimate sources. I put Sam Amick and Alex Kennedy in this bucket as well. 

I think Chad Ford actually know people in most if not all NBA front offices (through his draft / scouting work), and because he's not a Twitter monger, they actually talk to him. He typically limits his intel to his chats.
Mike

(My name is not Mike)

« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2014, 09:03:59 AM »

Offline dark_lord

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1126
none of them can fully be trusted, but i like woj and think he "might have something" when he reports.

« Reply #6 on: February 20, 2014, 09:09:53 AM »

Offline D.o.s.

• NCE
  • Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 1239
I think Chad Ford actually know people in most if not all NBA front offices (through his draft / scouting work), and because he's not a Twitter monger, they actually talk to him. He typically limits his intel to his chats.

That's an important point to make when you're talking about this.
At least a goldfish with a Lincoln Log on its back goin' across your floor to your sock drawer has a miraculous connotation to it.

« Reply #7 on: February 20, 2014, 09:14:50 AM »

Offline BleedGreen1989

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 568

This.
*CB Miami Heat*
Kyle Lowry, Dwayne Wade, 13th pick in even numbered rounds, 18th pick in odd numbered rounds.

« Reply #8 on: February 20, 2014, 09:37:45 AM »

Offline CoachBo

• NCE
  • Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 336
The answer here is clearly "the source that tells me what I want to hear."
Coined the CelticsBlog term, "Euromistake."

« Reply #9 on: February 20, 2014, 10:07:08 AM »

Offline ddb

• Joe Mazzulla
  • Tommy Points: 17
I trust DDB, Woj and the San Antonio Spurs

« Reply #10 on: February 20, 2014, 10:26:32 AM »

Offline CelticG1

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 288
I trust Woj but usually hes breaking the story after 20 other people have like the Doc to Clips discussion

« Reply #11 on: February 20, 2014, 11:08:36 AM »

Offline BballTim

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 1123

The ones that say "have just traded" and not "are discussing" or "have offered" or "is shopping".

« Reply #12 on: February 20, 2014, 11:21:57 AM »

Offline action781

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 609
Woj, NBA.com, and I have a method of generating information by taking the opposite of what Chris Broussard reports.  And Jeff Clark of course!

I don't understand the obsession with speed over accuracy in society today.

If Woj hasn't reported something or its not a headline on ESPN and NBA.com, then I don't consider it as anything more than a mere hypothetical
2020 CelticsStrong All-2000s Draft -- Utah Jazz

Finals Starters:  Jason Kidd - Reggie Miller - PJ Tucker - Al Horford - Shaq
Bench:  Rajon Rondo - Trae Young - Marcus Smart - Jaylen Brown -  Peja Stojakovic - Jamal Mashburn - Carlos Boozer - Tristan Thompson - Mehmet Okur

« Reply #13 on: February 20, 2014, 11:33:00 AM »

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1254
The NBA transaction list.
This. Unless it involves Doc Rivers where I trust Stephen A Smith far more than whatever is coming out of Doc's mouth.

« Reply #14 on: February 20, 2014, 11:34:13 AM »

Offline CoachBo

• NCE
  • Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 336
I trust Woj but usually hes breaking the story after 20 other people have like the Doc to Clips discussion

Yeah, the Woj love here is part of the long list of things that make me laugh.

He was all over the JFK assassination too - on the 23rd of November.
Coined the CelticsBlog term, "Euromistake."