Author Topic: TRADE IDEA - Green/Deng swap  (Read 1229 times)

TRADE IDEA - Green/Deng swap
« on: February 19, 2014, 01:27:30 PM »

Offline nostar

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 74
Ok so it's rumor season and I wanted to correctly identify this as an idea. I think it's a pretty good one for both sides.

http://espn.go.com/nba/tradeMachine?tradeId=n3oeq3f
(with the 2015 Clipper's 1st rounder going to Cleveland)

Why for Cleveland:
They are nervous that they traded a couple of protected 1st round picks to Chicago for a rental. This is almost certainly the case so I'd bet they're in a hurry to get something for him before he walks in FA after this season. Green is signed for 2 more years after this one, has a very good complementary game and fills a need they have at SF. He's also a year younger than Deng and has a more friendly contract. Throw in the pick and Cleveland has to at least  think about it.

Why for Boston:
Deng is better than Green. Deng is an All-star caliber player and he's still in his prime. In addition to upgrading at the SF spot we move Bass and give Sully/KO more playing time. The Clippers pick would serve as compensation for taking Bass and the disparity in talent between Deng and Green.

If it's me I make this offer and then if they say no I go after Deng in FA. Bradley might ask for too much money and if he walks we could play a lineup of:

Rondo (13M)
Green (9.2M)
Deng (12M)
Sully (1.4M)
KO (2M)

The only snag is that giving Deng a 3-4 year contract at 36-48M really ties our hands for the 2015-16 FA bonanza. We have to give Rondo a max deal and if you take in to consideration our other obligations that puts us at $55M, only an estimated 7-8M under the cap. Not a big time FA salary for sure. If we moved Green's expiring deal that year it would free up a near-max deal and we could probably shuffle and make it work but it is certainly a consideration. Trading for (or signing) Deng indicates we're looking to compete next season and in a trade likely puts us in the late lottery this season. That is the most compelling reason to pursue him in the off-season I think.

What do you guys think?

Re: TRADE IDEA - Green/Deng swap
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2014, 01:28:55 PM »

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 1294
I just realized, after I threw this out there in a different thread, that Deng has missed a ton of games over the past several seasons. Buyer beware.
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2014, 01:38:18 PM »

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 1615
  • What a Pub Should Be
I just realized, after I threw this out there in a different thread, that Deng has missed a ton of games over the past several seasons. Buyer beware.

As the C's are currently constituted, I wouldnt' trade for or pursue Deng in free agency. 

You have the injury concern coupled with whatever you're gonna have to pay Deng which is gonna be significantly more than Green makes.

Deng would just replace Green as the player that will drive Celtics nuts and it would be an a premium cost.

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2014, 02:06:52 PM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047

As the C's are currently constituted, I wouldnt' trade for or pursue Deng in free agency. 

You have the injury concern coupled with whatever you're gonna have to pay Deng which is gonna be significantly more than Green makes.

Deng would just replace Green as the player that will drive Celtics nuts and it would be an a premium cost.
spot on -- beat me to it.