Author Topic: Rockets - Celtics Trade Rumor (weak source)  (Read 50066 times)

Re: Rockets - Celtics Trade Rumor (weak source)
« Reply #30 on: February 19, 2014, 01:05:33 PM »

Offline sofutomygaha

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 343
The idea of trading Rondo for ANY package of lesser players is making me more and more nervous. Rondo, right now, is our tentpole player that could conceivably attract high-impact free agents to sign here or could bait high-impact players to agree to be traded here. No matter how many draft picks we have, it's really hard for me to see why an all-star would want to come here after Rondo is gone.

Even when Morey did it with Harden, he had Jeremy Lin, who was the subject of huge excitement.

Who do we go get for our tentpole with Rondo gone? Lance Stephenson?

Re: Rockets - Celtics Trade Rumor
« Reply #31 on: February 19, 2014, 01:10:05 PM »

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 1294
How does that work do you know??
Exactly like this. Their cap hit is equal to their average annual salary (~$8 million), but the actual payments are backloaded.
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

« Reply #32 on: February 19, 2014, 01:15:21 PM »

Offline MBunge

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 471
I can state categorically that a Houston deal isn't happening unless Wallace is included.  The only reason to do it is to open up max cap space for the summer of 2015.  But Ainge would then be going into that summer with nothing but Green, Sully, KO and a bunch of draft picks.  I'm not sure that's an attractive situation for top level free agents.

Mike

« Reply #33 on: February 19, 2014, 01:17:17 PM »

Offline CoachBo

• NCE
  • Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 336
I guess Sam Amico has joined the list of unreliable sources as well ...

Lin and Asik, probably not.

Chandler Parsons and Asik, maybe.

Parsons, Pat Beverley and the picks, where do I sign?
Coined the CelticsBlog term, "Euromistake."

« Reply #34 on: February 19, 2014, 01:23:12 PM »

Offline BballTim

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 1123
"Reportedly #Rockets are offering the #Celtics Lin, Asik, and a 2014 1st-round pick for Rondo. #NBA"

Sounds like a decent offer for Rondo. The rockets get ready for the playoffs but also get rid of two big contracts for next year.  For Danny he gets a starting Center and PG to move fwd with the rebuilding process. A 2014 1st also

Just a rumor bc there its not from a verified source(Woj). But activity at clutchfans forum has been going on non stop regarding possibility to bring in Rondo.  I doubt also Morey feels this team is good enough to win it all without one more piece

Does Danny consider if this offer is in play?

Considering the $30M Lin and Asik will get next year they wouldn't be able to get much more than expiring contracts for those two and a 1st rounder. You're basically giving them Rondo for free.

« Reply #35 on: February 19, 2014, 01:26:24 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867
"Reportedly #Rockets are offering the #Celtics Lin, Asik, and a 2014 1st-round pick for Rondo. #NBA"

Sounds like a decent offer for Rondo. The rockets get ready for the playoffs but also get rid of two big contracts for next year.  For Danny he gets a starting Center and PG to move fwd with the rebuilding process. A 2014 1st also

Just a rumor bc there its not from a verified source(Woj). But activity at clutchfans forum has been going on non stop regarding possibility to bring in Rondo.  I doubt also Morey feels this team is good enough to win it all without one more piece

Considering the $30M Lin and Asik will get next year they wouldn't be able to get much more than expiring contracts for those two and a 1st rounder. You're basically giving them Rondo for free.

Well lin and asik are still young. You would assume they would resign to a new contract

« Reply #36 on: February 19, 2014, 01:27:50 PM »

Offline BigAlTheFuture

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 458
I'll do this deal.

Rondo, Green
for
Parsons, Jones, Lin, Asik, 2014 first.
PHX Suns: Russell Westbrook, Chris Bosh, Tristan Thompson, Trevor Ariza, Tony Allen, Trey Lyles, Corey Brewer, Larry Nance Jr., Trey Burke, Troy Daniels, Joffrey Lauvergne, Justin Holiday, Mike Muscala, 14.6

« Reply #37 on: February 19, 2014, 01:28:05 PM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1834

No.

He counterbids for Asik, offering less than what he offered 6 weeks ago.

The rockets won't take bass and Celts will want more than Asik for Green.

Maybe Humphries-Asik swap is a possibilty

This is a great idea, if we are willing to pay the tax next season.

« Reply #38 on: February 19, 2014, 01:36:07 PM »

Offline celticpride07

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 222
I'll do this deal.

Rondo, Green
for

Change green to Wallace

Rondo Wallace  for

Parsons jones asik Lin 2014 1st
Pick 2 Heat: 
Pg: Jennings/Vasquez
Sg: Wade/R. Allen/Rivers
SF: Lebron/M. Williams
PF: Bosh/Humphries
C: B. Lopez/Dalembert/Anthony

« Reply #39 on: February 19, 2014, 01:36:27 PM »

Offline TheFlex

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 367
http://www.celticsblog.com/2014/2/19/5426128/boston-and-houston-are-discussing-rajon-rondo-celtics-rockets-rumor-trade-deadline-nba:

This afternoon, FoxSports.com's Sam Amico said sources have told him the Rockets think they can acquire Rondo. No further details were illustrated, but the two sides have talked trade.

The first person to report on the rumblings is a reliable source from the Houston area, who has connections with various NBA agents. Though anonymous, this person has been the first to report on Houston area stories such as the signings of Dwight Howard and Omer Asik, the trade for Kevin Martin, and the passing of football legend Bum Phillips.

This source says that Houston's general manager Daryl Morey is willing to offer two first round draft picks and other players to make the deal work. However, Danny Ainge has remained steadfast and insisted that 25-year-old forward Chandler Parsons is included into the deal.

Understandably, Morey has decided to bide his time and wait to see what other types of offers Boston received before giving in and offering Parsons. Other young players Houston can offer include point guard Patrick Beverley, power forward Donatas Motiejunas, and combo-forward Terrence Jones.

Figured this was relevant to discussion.

Draft: 8 first rounders in next 5 years.

Cap space: $24 mil.

https://www.reddit.com/r/dkcleague/

« Reply #40 on: February 19, 2014, 01:43:42 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
I guess Sam Amico has joined the list of unreliable sources as well ...

Lin and Asik, probably not.

Chandler Parsons and Asik, maybe.

Parsons, Pat Beverley and the picks, where do I sign?

Yup the rumor is on Celticsblog front page now.

Per source (Sam Amico) , Rockets offering Lin and/or Asik and 2 first round picks (2014 and i'm guessing 2016).

Danny wants Parsons included and a better 2014 1st.

Morey has not declined the request.  Another possiblity is to get a third team involved. Like the 76rs

So just an idea

1st trade
To 76rs : Asik, 2014 1st (currently 24th), 2014 2nd (currently 39th)
To Rockets : Hawes , 2014 2nd 1st (currently 11th)

2nd trade
To Rockets: Rondo, Green
To Celtics: Lin, Parsons, 2014 76rs 2nd 1st, 2016 rockets 1st

Its either that OR

To Rockets: Rondo, Green
To Celtics: Asik, Lin, Parsons, 2014 rockets 1st, 2014 rockets 2nd, 2016 rockets 1st

« Reply #41 on: February 19, 2014, 01:44:19 PM »

Offline Casperian

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 545
oh really?  when?  we haven't had cap room for a major FA signing.  saying Boston has never signed one implies they've had the opportunity and either chose not to or they tried and no one accepted.  C's have been handcuffed to the MLE for a very long time. 

provide a specific example of a major FA that was available AND we had the money available to sign him AND that FA rejected our offer to play elsewhere.  If you can't do that, your argument is baseless.

Your qualifiers for an example of a top FA who turned us down are highly questionable.

You mean, the Celtics never cleared cap space to go after "big name" FAs? Could it be that they knew they had no real chance signing them?

If we´re talking about top free agents, we can assume that there´ll be healthy competition from other teams to sign them. Why exactly should such a player sign with us over other teams? If he´s any good, he´ll get his money wherever he goes, so which other reason would work in the Celtics´ favour?

The main reason why we never signed big name free agents is because the team sucked for 20 years, which made persuing top free agents nonsensical.
In the summer of 2017, I predicted this team would not win a championship for the next 10 years.

3 down, 7 to go.

« Reply #42 on: February 19, 2014, 01:45:40 PM »

Offline BigAlTheFuture

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 458
I'll do this deal.

Rondo, Green
for

Change green to Wallace

Rondo Wallace  for

Parsons jones asik Lin 2014 1st

I would prefer that but there's a better chance Houston takes it if it's Green.
PHX Suns: Russell Westbrook, Chris Bosh, Tristan Thompson, Trevor Ariza, Tony Allen, Trey Lyles, Corey Brewer, Larry Nance Jr., Trey Burke, Troy Daniels, Joffrey Lauvergne, Justin Holiday, Mike Muscala, 14.6

« Reply #43 on: February 19, 2014, 01:47:41 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
oh really?  when?  we haven't had cap room for a major FA signing.  saying Boston has never signed one implies they've had the opportunity and either chose not to or they tried and no one accepted.  C's have been handcuffed to the MLE for a very long time. 

provide a specific example of a major FA that was available AND we had the money available to sign him AND that FA rejected our offer to play elsewhere.  If you can't do that, your argument is baseless.

Your qualifiers for an example of a top FA who turned us down are highly questionable.

You mean, the Celtics never cleared cap space to go after "big name" FAs? Could it be that they knew they had no real chance signing them?

If we´re talking about top free agents, we can assume that there´ll be healthy competition from other teams to sign them. Why exactly should such a player sign with us over other teams? If he´s any good, he´ll get his money wherever he goes, so which other reason would work in the Celtics´ favour?

The main reason why we never signed big name free agents is because the team sucked for 20 years, which made persuing top free agents nonsensical.

+1

And even if we sucked you would still think someone would want to come play for a storied franchise like ours. These FA go to the lakers, nyc etc.  But they don't come here

« Reply #44 on: February 19, 2014, 01:57:53 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
How credible is Amico? Can people see Danny asking for Parsons to make this deal possibly work?  What a mistake he made by drafting JJJ in the first place

When asked how Doc Rivers, the coach of the Boston Celtics, knows him so well and long, Rockets forward Chandler Parsons responded with a question of his own.
“How does the coach of the Boston Celtics not draft me?” Parsons said.

The Rockets picked up Parsons in the second round of the 2011 draft after the Celtics took forward JaJuan Johnson with the 25th pick that season. The Rockets acquired Johnson in the sign-and-trade deal that sent Courtney Lee to Boston, but cut him before the season.

“I thought I was going to go to the Celtics, 100 percent,” Parsons said of the draft that season. “That was probably my best workout. I killed it.”