Author Topic: Portland needs a big man?  (Read 4946 times)

Portland needs a big man?
« on: February 19, 2014, 12:20:33 PM »

Offline Lucky17

• DKC Commish
  • JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 2352
So, in the span of about a week, the Blazers have lost the following big men to injury:

Aldridge, groin strain, out 1 week minimum
Leonard, ankle sprain, out 2-3 weeks
Freeland, MCL sprain, out 4-8 weeks

The only healthy bigs in Portland right now are Lopez, Robinson, and an undersized Claver. That's it.

I thought the Blazers were the best candidate for a Bass trade all season, and now it seems even more so. Will it happen? It's got to, right?
DKC League is now on reddit!: http://www.reddit.com/r/dkcleague

Re: Portland needs a big man?
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2014, 12:30:15 PM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047
what are you proposing the send us in exchange?  All for shipping out Bass but what do you think they'd send?

I'm not familiar with what they have for matching contracts (and don't want to play on trade checker at the moment) to find out who's a fit money wise.  I'd be satisfied with a matching contract and a future first -- 2017 would be fine.  we'd have 2 for that year then

« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2014, 12:31:50 PM »

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 1294
So, in the span of about a week, the Blazers have lost the following big men to injury:

Aldridge, groin strain, out 1 week minimum
Leonard, ankle sprain, out 2-3 weeks
Freeland, MCL sprain, out 4-8 weeks

The only healthy bigs in Portland right now are Lopez, Robinson, and an undersized Claver. That's it.

I thought the Blazers were the best candidate for a Bass trade all season, and now it seems even more so. Will it happen? It's got to, right?
I think they'll do just fine with a one-week stop-gap.
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2014, 12:39:52 PM »

Offline Smokeeye123

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 156
Id do a 20 plus first round and filler for both green and bass.

« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2014, 12:42:30 PM »

Offline Birdman

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 413
I say they take Hump in a heartbeat for the right price....
C/PF-Horford, Baynes, Noel, Theis, Morris,
SF/SG- Tatum, Brown, Hayward, Smart, Semi, Clark
PG- Irving, Rozier, Larkin

« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2014, 12:48:00 PM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2619
what are you proposing the send us in exchange?  All for shipping out Bass but what do you think they'd send?

I'm not familiar with what they have for matching contracts (and don't want to play on trade checker at the moment) to find out who's a fit money wise.  I'd be satisfied with a matching contract and a future first -- 2017 would be fine.  we'd have 2 for that year then

And that's exactly the problem.  They have not much in the way of expiring contracts, no 1st round pick this year, and no 2nd round picks until 2018 (and even that 2018 pick can be swapped).  You could probably work out a deal where you got Meyers Leonard in return, if that really suits your fancy, but if you actually have seen Meyers Leonard play basketball, and not just looked at his height, it's not likely to do so.

I mean, if they were willing to part with a 2017 1st rounder, I'd probably be game.  But otherwise, Portland's made most of the trades it can make just to get to where they are now.

« Reply #6 on: February 19, 2014, 12:48:37 PM »

Online Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1544
Id do a 20 plus first round and filler for both green and bass.
they don't have their first this year
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #7 on: February 19, 2014, 02:17:41 PM »

Offline Lucky17

• DKC Commish
  • JoJo White

And that's exactly the problem.  They have not much in the way of expiring contracts, no 1st round pick this year, and no 2nd round picks until 2018 (and even that 2018 pick can be swapped).  You could probably work out a deal where you got Meyers Leonard in return, if that really suits your fancy, but if you actually have seen Meyers Leonard play basketball, and not just looked at his height, it's not likely to do so.

I mean, if they were willing to part with a 2017 1st rounder, I'd probably be game.  But otherwise, Portland's made most of the trades it can make just to get to where they are now.

It's true: Portland doesn't have enough in expiring contracts to match Bass.

But they could offer something like Leonard, Claver (2-year deal), and Will Barton, whose contract for next year is non-guaranteed. And perhaps a 2nd rounder as well.

That'd give Boston a big man prospect, and immediate ($2 mil in payroll reduction) and future financial relief ($3 mil off next year's books).

Note: Boston would probably route Barton to a team with an open roster spot in exchange for cash; otherwise, they'd have to cut someone currently on the roster.

« Reply #8 on: February 19, 2014, 02:22:37 PM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047

It's true: Portland doesn't have enough in expiring contracts to match Bass.

But they could offer something like Leonard, Claver (2-year deal), and Will Barton, whose contract for next year is non-guaranteed. And perhaps a 2nd rounder as well.

That'd give Boston a big man prospect, and immediate ($2 mil in payroll reduction) and future financial relief ($3 mil off next year's books).

Note: Boston would probably route Barton to a team with an open roster spot in exchange for cash; otherwise, they'd have to cut someone currently on the roster.
If that's what Portland has to offer, I don't see a deal in the making.  have to do better than sketchy prospects, minimal salary relief and a second rounder

« Reply #9 on: February 19, 2014, 03:30:25 PM »

Offline Lucky17

• DKC Commish
  • JoJo White
I don't see how Boston gets a 2014 1st rounder for Bass, if that's what Ainge should hold out for.

A prospect on a rookie-scale contract like Robinson or Leonard, plus a little sweetener seems realistic to me. But, perhaps Ainge doesn't like Leonard or Robinson.

« Reply #10 on: February 19, 2014, 03:41:42 PM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2619
I don't see how Boston gets a 2014 1st rounder for Bass, if that's what Ainge should hold out for.

A prospect on a rookie-scale contract like Robinson or Leonard, plus a little sweetener seems realistic to me. But, perhaps Ainge doesn't like Leonard or Robinson.

I'm not saying that Bass will get a first rounder.  But should Danny want Robinson in return?  He's in his second year, and left college after his junior season, and he's one reason that Portland needs big man help.  Same is true with Leonard, except that he left school after his sophomore year.  They both should be showing more than they are.  You'd get limited cap savings next year, and next training camp decide to either keep whichever underperforming big you just got, taking up cap room for 2015 that you've been trying to save, or go the MarShon Brooks route and decline his fourth year (and the significant raise that comes along with it).  I'd think you should be able to get an expiring and a second rounder for Bass, if you're really intent on moving him.  Otherwise, just keep him around.  He's more useful than Thomas Robinson or Meyers Leonard.

« Reply #11 on: February 19, 2014, 03:47:35 PM »

Offline manl_lui

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 427

I'm not saying that Bass will get a first rounder.  But should Danny want Robinson in return?  He's in his second year, and left college after his junior season, and he's one reason that Portland needs big man help.  Same is true with Leonard, except that he left school after his sophomore year.  They both should be showing more than they are.  You'd get limited cap savings next year, and next training camp decide to either keep whichever underperforming big you just got, taking up cap room for 2015 that you've been trying to save, or go the MarShon Brooks route and decline his fourth year (and the significant raise that comes along with it).  I'd think you should be able to get an expiring and a second rounder for Bass, if you're really intent on moving him.  Otherwise, just keep him around.  He's more useful than Thomas Robinson or Meyers Leonard.

I'd pull the trigger for Thomas Robinson for Bass in a heartbeat. Kid is young, and has a lot of upside.

« Reply #12 on: February 19, 2014, 03:50:27 PM »

Offline Monkhouse

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 814
  • A true Celtic plays with heart.

I'd pull the trigger for Thomas Robinson for Bass in a heartbeat. Kid is young, and has a lot of upside.

Me too. But even if that was a possibility, Portland is going to ask for a least a pick.

But if it was straight up? Absolutely. Stevens could make Robinson a deadly big man inside.
"I bomb atomically, Socrates' philosophies and hypotheses
Can't define how I be dropping these mockeries."

Is the glass half-full or half-empty?
It's based on your perspective, quite simply
We're the same and we're not; know what I'm saying? Listen
Son, I ain't better than you, I just think different

« Reply #13 on: February 19, 2014, 03:54:07 PM »

Offline manl_lui

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 427

Me too. But even if that was a possibility, Portland is going to ask for a least a pick.

But if it was straight up? Absolutely. Stevens could make Robinson a deadly big man inside.

I doubt that...Bass is producing a lot more than Robinson and they are barely using him. I think we can get away with Bass for Robinson...at worst, we can throw in a 2nd, but that's the only thing I would give them as of now.

They have a great rotation now with Aldridge, Lopez and adding Bass only gives them another reliable big off the bench. This is a win win on both side, Portland gets more lethal, while we shed a big contract and take on a young stud

« Reply #14 on: February 19, 2014, 03:59:17 PM »

Online Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1544
Robinson & Wright

for

Bass

I'd probably throw in a second rounder or Pressey if that is what it took to get it done.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip