Author Topic: Windhorst: "Cavs testing market for Deng"  (Read 9933 times)

Re: Windhorst: "Cavs testing market for Deng"
« Reply #30 on: February 19, 2014, 12:15:22 PM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2969
He will , if he hasn't already told them ,  he will bolt that city .

I wouldn't blame him.  Nothing Cleveland ......don't see him staying......

Good teams in nice warm cities with a lot more to offer will pay him.

« Reply #31 on: February 19, 2014, 12:22:14 PM »

Offline sofutomygaha

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 343

It seems to me like this would be a terrible move for Cleveland. Worst case scenario if you keep him is that he sets a great example for your lost and bewildered youngsters for a few months, gives them a taste of what it's like to be better, and then goes on his merry way leaving you with some cap space.

Trading him right now looks like the only way to make things even worse than they are.

« Reply #32 on: February 19, 2014, 12:28:30 PM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2619
When Jeff had his submit your trade ideas on the front page option, one of mine was the following:

Green, Bogans, and 2015 Clippers pick for Deng.

I think such a trade allows the Cavs to save face with Deng, and we get a real upgrade from Green.  There's obviously the risk Deng leaves, so perhaps you wouldn't want to do this unless it were an extend-and-trade, but I'd be happy to continue to build around Rondo and Deng.

« Reply #33 on: February 19, 2014, 12:29:57 PM »

Offline Vermont Green

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 870
Green and Wallace

for

Deng and Waiters

would work. 

Maybe we add a not so valuable pick such as the Clippers in 2015?

In today's NBA, trades are getting harder and harder to do.

« Reply #34 on: February 19, 2014, 12:37:33 PM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2619
Green and Wallace

for

Deng and Waiters

would work. 

I don't think that actually works at all.  Wallace has negative value.  Rumors are it will cost at least a 1st round pick to get rid of him.  Deng has more value than Green and Waiters has at least some positive value, because he's a talented kid on a rookie deal.  The offer really reads:

Deng+Waiters for Green-Wallace. 

If you add in the first, and assume that's the cost of getting rid of Crash, it's Deng+Waiters for Green, which is still going nowhere.  If you take out Waiters, you get Deng for Green, which also probably isn't working.

« Reply #35 on: February 19, 2014, 12:42:30 PM »

Offline Vermont Green

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 870
Green and Wallace

for

Deng and Waiters

would work. 

I don't think that actually works at all.  Wallace has negative value.  Rumors are it will cost at least a 1st round pick to get rid of him.  Deng has more value than Green and Waiters has at least some positive value, because he's a talented kid on a rookie deal.  The offer really reads:

If you add in the first, and assume that's the cost of getting rid of Crash, it's Deng+Waiters for Green, which is still going nowhere.  If you take out Waiters, you get Deng for Green, which also probably isn't working.

By "works" I mean that salaries meet the complicated league requirements for trades.

I understand that Wallace is a negative but I view Green as a pretty good add for Cleveland, offsetting the negative value of Wallace.  Deng is really no value for either team and I am not sure that Waiters is still wanted in Cle.  So if Cle ended up with Green and a pick, that isn't all that bad.

« Reply #36 on: February 19, 2014, 12:43:47 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1549
When you are on a new team and publically whine about said new team, you pretty much seal your own fate.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #37 on: February 19, 2014, 12:49:14 PM »

Offline CelticG1

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 288
Are people really willing to give up a first to overpay Deng?

Dont see the point. Seems kinda same boat as josh smith. While i like Deng better im not interested in paying him his next big deal. Is there anyway he doesnt get a huve pay day? The guy has also been fairly injury prone in his career and i wouldnt say hes exactly on the incline of his career

« Reply #38 on: February 19, 2014, 12:49:51 PM »

Offline fairweatherfan

• Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 2365
  • Be the posts you wish to see in the world.
Green and Wallace

for

Deng and Waiters

would work. 

By "works" I mean that salaries meet the complicated league requirements for trades.

I understand that Wallace is a negative but I view Green as a pretty good add for Cleveland, offsetting the negative value of Wallace.  Deng is really no value for either team and I am not sure that Waiters is still wanted in Cle.  So if Cle ended up with Green and a pick, that isn't all that bad.

It doesn't work simply because Deng can only be traded by himself before the deadline - no other Cavs can be packaged in the same deal.  You'd have to split the transactions somehow, which would be really hard to do with Green + Wallace's salaries.

« Reply #39 on: February 19, 2014, 11:09:19 PM »

Offline jaketwice

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 102
Posted my own thread on this:

Green, Bass, 2 second rounders for Luol Deng.

It's not only Deng who is not re-signing with Cleveland. No one is signing with Cleveland. Jeff Green and B. Bass are locked up for three years.

I don't think Deng is worth a first unless he would agree to a long term deal at a reasonable rate. Why wouldn't he test free agency? Someone will over-pay, and he's not a max player anyway.

But, we would get a chance to show him the town, and maybe he would come to like the great City of Boston.

Follows several videos explaining why I believe Cleveland will struggle to lure marquee free agents.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ysmLA5TqbIY

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oZzgAjjuqZM

« Reply #40 on: February 19, 2014, 11:17:30 PM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2016
I'm sure they are willing to move Deng partially because Bennett has started to blossom.  He looks like he's going to be a player.

« Reply #41 on: February 19, 2014, 11:29:01 PM »

Offline LooseCannon

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 950
The Cavs might be getting a good idea of how much teams are willing to give up in a potential sign-and-trade this summer.
"The worst thing that ever happened in sports was sports radio, and the internet is sports radio on steroids with lower IQs.” -- Brian Burke, former Toronto Maple Leafs senior adviser, at the 2013 MIT Sloan Sports Analytics Conference

« Reply #42 on: February 19, 2014, 11:34:26 PM »

Offline D.o.s.

• NCE
  • Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 1239
Posted my own thread on this:

Green, Bass, 2 second rounders for Luol Deng.

It's not only Deng who is not re-signing with Cleveland. No one is signing with Cleveland. Jeff Green and B. Bass are locked up for three years.

I don't think Deng is worth a first unless he would agree to a long term deal at a reasonable rate. Why wouldn't he test free agency? Someone will over-pay, and he's not a max player anyway.

But, we would get a chance to show him the town, and maybe he would come to like the great City of Boston.

Follows several videos explaining why I believe Cleveland will struggle to lure marquee free agents.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ysmLA5TqbIY

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oZzgAjjuqZM
TP.
At least a goldfish with a Lincoln Log on its back goin' across your floor to your sock drawer has a miraculous connotation to it.