Author Topic: Trade for Kevin Love? Trade deadline, or draft day?  (Read 7997 times)

Re: Trade for Kevin Love? Trade deadline, or draft day?
« Reply #15 on: February 19, 2014, 12:04:27 PM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2968
Gotta assume Twolfs want LAs first round pick this year and some other filler. LAs the one team whom I think wouldn't have any worries about resigning him.

Until D.  Howard broke the mold and bolted for Houston ......thank you Dwight .......that's seems to be the history today withYoung affluent stars  ...... Warm weather and Sunshine most of the year ... will do it every time..
Rather live in Houston/LA than Minnesota.".....can't blame  KLove to much .
Me and my old lady finally broke down and shoveled our last snow a few years back .   .......not missing that drill.

« Reply #16 on: February 19, 2014, 12:07:07 PM »

Offline Monkhouse

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 814
  • A true Celtic plays with heart.
Rondo/Love is a good enough combo, that all we need is a good wing/SG scorer that can be our 2nd or go to guy when Love isn't hitting his shots. And a good defender at the C.

I don't get why you guys think we'll suck. We have so many assets its crazy to believe. Love would be thrilled to play here, plus the fans would love to cheer for Love.
Well, there's that whole "playing defense" part.

Hes a terrible defender, but still a superstar. You need more than one superstar to compete in this league.

If you can somehow ink Marc Gasol to Love with Rondo in FA 2015, I'd think that is a contender easily.
"I bomb atomically, Socrates' philosophies and hypotheses
Can't define how I be dropping these mockeries."

Is the glass half-full or half-empty?
It's based on your perspective, quite simply
We're the same and we're not; know what I'm saying? Listen
Son, I ain't better than you, I just think different

« Reply #17 on: February 19, 2014, 12:10:39 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
Kevin Love isn't going to re-sign here just because it's Boston.

So why else would he sign here?

Right now, the T-Wolves have more talent, and a more experienced coach.

If the Celtics trade off their best young player and their pick this year, why would Love consider sticking around?  To play with Kelly Olynyk and Avery Bradley?  Or are you under the impression that Love would enjoy playing with Rondo SO much more than with Rubio and Pekovic?

Boston is a well run organization with a GM that knows how to put together a winner. 

The T-wolves are not.

And Boston actually has a star to play with him instead of a pair of "nice players"

The former, I think, matters some, but not that much.  Having a proven winning coach and / or a really glitzy / comfortable location holds more weight than that, in my opinion.

The second is important, but I don't think Rondo + Love is enough to guarantee a really competitive team, and I think that's what Love is looking for if he's leaving Minnesota.

The pattern that we've seen in recent years is that these players either target a major market (not simply a 'big' one like Boston) -- i.e. New York or LA -- or they look to join superstar teammates -- guys like Harden and Wade.  Warm weather helps your cause, too.

Boston is definitely nicer than Minneapolis, but to really lure Love and convince him to stay I think you need more star power / winning cred than Rajon Rondo and Brad Stevens.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #18 on: February 19, 2014, 12:15:07 PM »

Offline LooseCannon

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 950
The pattern that we've seen in recent years is that these players either target a major market (not simply a 'big' one like Boston) -- i.e. New York or LA -- or they look to join superstar teammates -- guys like Harden and Wade.  Warm weather helps your cause, too.

How often does a superstar join a bad team because it has warm weather?
"The worst thing that ever happened in sports was sports radio, and the internet is sports radio on steroids with lower IQs.” -- Brian Burke, former Toronto Maple Leafs senior adviser, at the 2013 MIT Sloan Sports Analytics Conference

« Reply #19 on: February 19, 2014, 12:20:46 PM »

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 1294
Rondo/Love is a good enough combo, that all we need is a good wing/SG scorer that can be our 2nd or go to guy when Love isn't hitting his shots. And a good defender at the C.

I don't get why you guys think we'll suck. We have so many assets its crazy to believe. Love would be thrilled to play here, plus the fans would love to cheer for Love.
Well, there's that whole "playing defense" part.

Hes a terrible defender, but still a superstar. You need more than one superstar to compete in this league.

If you can somehow ink Marc Gasol to Love with Rondo in FA 2015, I'd think that is a contender easily.
A player who couldn't lead their team to more than 31 wins in a season is not a very good "superstar" -- and that's valid even if he had zero help around him. I feel you need too many and too specific pieces to fit around Rondo and Love to build a winner (remember, that's a PG who can't make threes and free throws, and a big who can't guard a chair). But then again, if you can have Love for Sullinger, Green, cap relief and picks, you gotta pull the trigger.
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

« Reply #20 on: February 19, 2014, 12:29:25 PM »

Offline barefacedmonk

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 1796
  • The Dude Abides
Quote from GQ magazine

“People think it's so far-fetched that I would stay in Minnesota,” he says. “And I'm not Edited.  Profanity and masked profanity are against forum rules and may result in discipline.ting on the Lakers, but we have the better team, the better foundation. I'm having fun.”
Link
"An ounce of practice is worth more than tons of preaching." - M.K. Gandhi

« Reply #21 on: February 19, 2014, 01:01:03 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182

How often does a superstar join a bad team because it has warm weather?

I said it helps your cause.  I didn't say people went to warm weather cities just for that.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #22 on: February 19, 2014, 01:07:38 PM »

Offline Monkhouse

• Paul Silas
Quote from GQ magazine

“People think it's so far-fetched that I would stay in Minnesota,” he says. “And I'm not ****ting on the Lakers, but we have the better team, the better foundation. I'm having fun.”
Link

If I didn't like a place I worked at, and somehow my boss knew that. And he asked me the question, but I didn't have another job set in store as of yet to replace the job I'd be quitting, do you seriously think I'd be honest and upfront with him?

« Reply #23 on: February 19, 2014, 01:16:01 PM »

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett
Quote from GQ magazine

“People think it's so far-fetched that I would stay in Minnesota,” he says. “And I'm not ****ting on the Lakers, but we have the better team, the better foundation. I'm having fun.”
Link

If I didn't like a place I worked at, and somehow my boss knew that. And he asked me the question, but I didn't have another job set in store as of yet to replace the job I'd be quitting, do you seriously think I'd be honest and upfront with him?
Are you on a multi-million, guaranteed contract? I didn't think so :P
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

« Reply #24 on: February 19, 2014, 01:23:58 PM »

Offline Monkhouse

• Paul Silas
Quote from GQ magazine

Link

I wish I was ;)

Either way of course Love is going to say though. I expected that as much. Love isn't even an jerk. He just wants to win, just like any other competitive athlete.

As for Love having no defense....

Lets worry about that when we get him, and after I name my child Kevin. 

« Reply #25 on: February 19, 2014, 01:51:16 PM »

Offline D.o.s.

• NCE
  • Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 1239
Quote from GQ magazine

Link

I wish I was ;)

Either way of course Love is going to say though. I expected that as much. Love isn't even an jerk. He just wants to win, just like any other competitive athlete.

Then years later you can lie and say it was always for KG.
At least a goldfish with a Lincoln Log on its back goin' across your floor to your sock drawer has a miraculous connotation to it.

« Reply #26 on: February 19, 2014, 01:55:57 PM »

Offline Monkhouse

• Paul Silas
Quote from GQ magazine

Link

I wish I was ;)

Then years later you can lie and say it was always for KG.

Darn.... I'm going to need two sons :) .

« Reply #27 on: February 19, 2014, 02:00:29 PM »

Offline D.o.s.

• NCE
  • Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 1239
"Kevin 2, clean your room and shave that beard. Kevin 1, stop barking at inanimate objects."
At least a goldfish with a Lincoln Log on its back goin' across your floor to your sock drawer has a miraculous connotation to it.

« Reply #28 on: February 19, 2014, 02:08:46 PM »

Offline NYDan

• Derrick White
  • Tommy Points: 22
Don't think the Lakers have enough pieces to get Love in a trade, not right now. The C's might though, possibly without giving up our 2014 #1. He's a great player just entering his prime, would love to have him and Rondo locked up to build around over the next few years.

« Reply #29 on: February 19, 2014, 02:13:03 PM »

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett
I wish I was ;)

It's not about being a jerk, but pro athletes in the NBA really don't have to worry about getting fired.

In any case, Love can probably only win in a Pau Gasol type scenario where he moves to a team that's already stacked.