Author Topic: Trade for Kevin Love? Trade deadline, or draft day?  (Read 8001 times)

Trade for Kevin Love? Trade deadline, or draft day?
« on: February 19, 2014, 09:19:59 AM »

Offline Monkhouse

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 814
  • A true Celtic plays with heart.
Given the current state of their franchise, the Timberwolves might be wise to listen to offers for Love, opines Moke Hamilton of Basketball Insiders. Hamilton thinks the T-Wolves should find a taker on Love while his value is as high as it is right now.

Timberwolves coach Rick Adelman is open to the idea of adding contributors to his team, writes Andy Greder of the Pioneer Press. “Any time you can add players that are going to help you, then you really have to look at it,” Adelman said. “If something gets serious, we’ll find out about it, but right now you have to listen to whatever is going on. It takes two, sometimes three (players), to make a deal.”

If Love seriously seems like he won't re-sign with the Wolves, then maybe the Celtics should offer a nice deal? I'm going to assume it'll be draft day, but we can offer a nice package of Sullinger, Humphries, and Green with this years first round pick, the Clippers pick, and the 76ers conditional second or first rounder for Kevin Love, Hummel, and Mbah Moute. We can also interchange Budinger for Keith Bogans for future cap space savings for Minnesota.

Why for T-Wolves?

Sullinger is modeling his game after Love, and while he may never put up MVP numbers, this year will give the Wolves the ability to make Sullinger more and more deadly. And while Rubio isn't as great as Rondo overall, he's still a great passer, and he'll be able to do pick and pop/rolls with Sully. Green is a huge upgrade over any SF they have, and it gives them a decent 2nd or 3rd option. Humphries give them a solid big men who isn't worth his contract, but will give them 12 million in cap space that will be free. If we trade for Bogans we may have a log jam at SF with Budinger, but they've expressed interest in trading Moute, Budinger for a quite a while now due to their contracts.

http://espn.go.com/nba/tradeMachine?tradeId=k5evdg9

What do you guys think? And I don't think the TPE can be applied, but for some reason this seems to work for us cap salary wise in NBA 2K14. I don't know? What do you think?

Basically we'll get a superstar in return for getting two bloated contracts, while giving the Wolves plenty of free cap space to pursue other free agents that can make their team better.

And even Love may not be happy with losing this year, he'll understand that we'll be making more moves in the future. It'll be up to Danny Ainge to try to get some players in the future.
« Last Edit: February 19, 2014, 09:27:38 AM by Monkhouse »
"I bomb atomically, Socrates' philosophies and hypotheses
Can't define how I be dropping these mockeries."

Is the glass half-full or half-empty?
It's based on your perspective, quite simply
We're the same and we're not; know what I'm saying? Listen
Son, I ain't better than you, I just think different

Re: Trade for Kevin Love? Trade deadline, or draft day?
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2014, 09:42:31 AM »

Offline Birdman

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 413
I would highly doubt if we did get Love, he would re-sign with us
C/PF-Horford, Baynes, Noel, Theis, Morris,
SF/SG- Tatum, Brown, Hayward, Smart, Semi, Clark
PG- Irving, Rozier, Larkin

« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2014, 09:45:39 AM »

Offline D.o.s.

• NCE
  • Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 1239
Given the current state of their franchise, the Timberwolves might be wise to listen to offers for Love, opines Moke Hamilton of Basketball Insiders. Hamilton thinks the T-Wolves should find a taker on Love while his value is as high as it is right now.

I read that as "Mark Hamil of basketball insiders"

And then re-read it and got sad.
At least a goldfish with a Lincoln Log on its back goin' across your floor to your sock drawer has a miraculous connotation to it.

« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2014, 09:54:27 AM »

Offline pearljammer10

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 885
If we can get Love (knowing he would sign an extension)I think you break the bank for him.

Sully, Green, Humps expiring and I would throw 3 of our 10 first round picks at him to get the deal done. That's a hard deal for Minny to turn down and allows us to build with Love and Rondo.

« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2014, 09:57:21 AM »

Offline rondohondo

• NCE
  • Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 1196
I don't want love anymore

You have Sully who will likely contribute about 80% of what Love does, but Love will be a max , and Sully is on a rookie deal for 2 more years, and likely will command 12 mil at max when he is up for a new contract.

We need a go to wing scorer, and a defensive anchor. Love plays no defense .

« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2014, 09:59:26 AM »

Offline Monkhouse

• Paul Silas
I would highly doubt if we did get Love, he would re-sign with us

Eh, everyone is so set on believing he wants a big market, but if I recall the Celtics did a pretty job marketing the Big 3. Also KG never wanted to play for the Celtics, but the organization and the fans enamored him. If we can just get another 3rd All star, we can create our own Big 3.

I read that as "Mark Hamil of basketball insiders"

And then re-read it and got sad.

Why?

You have Sully who will likely contribute about 80% of what Love does, but Love will be a max , and Sully is on a rookie deal for 2 more years, and likely will command 12 mil at max when he is up for a new contract.

Like what? He can't shoot 3's as well as Love. He can't defensive rebound as well, the only thing Sully can do better right now is offensive rebounding. Sully may be able to defend better, but who's to say Love can't learn that under Ron Adams or Stevens? This guy has been putting up MVP numbers on a team that lacks offense, and seriously has no defense.

We just need to find a decent Center to anchor the defense, and Love will thrive...

I don't get how you say 25.8/13.2/4.1 isn't worth it... Those are MVP numbers on a contender.

« Reply #6 on: February 19, 2014, 10:04:48 AM »

Offline D.o.s.

• NCE
  • Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 1239
Because the idea of Luke Skywalker chiming in on Kevin Love is kind of hilarious.
At least a goldfish with a Lincoln Log on its back goin' across your floor to your sock drawer has a miraculous connotation to it.

« Reply #7 on: February 19, 2014, 10:38:25 AM »

Offline winsomme

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 255

I agree with your assessment of Love compared to Sully, but I also think their is a different value to franchise players that goes beyond their play on the court. There are so few franchise players around the league that getting one makes your squad a destination for FAs.

Personally, I would think that Minny would want to wait until draft day so that they are ensured of getting a top pick in this draft (which would certainly be offered for him at that time), so that seems like the most likely time for that deal to get done.

The only reason, however, that I could see Minny dealing now is that could get a high pick in the draft (via trade), a bevy of young talent, AND increase their own 2014 draft pick because they most likely would become a tanker without Love...

All in all, if we don't get love, the Cs HAVE to tank. We need that top 5 pick to make the big moves in the off season (a la trading for KLove or Melo, etc)

« Reply #8 on: February 19, 2014, 10:45:10 AM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
Kevin Love isn't going to re-sign here just because it's Boston.

So why else would he sign here?

Right now, the T-Wolves have more talent, and a more experienced coach.

If the Celtics trade off their best young player and their pick this year, why would Love consider sticking around?  To play with Kelly Olynyk and Avery Bradley?  Or are you under the impression that Love would enjoy playing with Rondo SO much more than with Rubio and Pekovic?
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #9 on: February 19, 2014, 11:07:23 AM »

Offline wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • Basketball is Newtonian Physics

If the Celtics trade off their best young player and their pick this year, why would Love consider sticking around?  To play with Kelly Olynyk and Avery Bradley?  Or are you under the impression that Love would enjoy playing with Rondo SO much more than with Rubio and Pekovic?

Boston is a well run organization with a GM that knows how to put together a winner. 

The T-wolves are not.

And Boston actually has a star to play with him instead of a pair of "nice players"

And lets be honest, the teams with cap space to get him are going to be the "cupboards are bare" teams.

« Reply #10 on: February 19, 2014, 11:11:14 AM »

Offline 2short

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 428
If we can get Love (knowing he would sign an extension)I think you break the bank for him.

Sully, Green, Humps expiring and I would throw 3 of our 10 first round picks at him to get the deal done. That's a hard deal for Minny to turn down and allows us to build with Love and Rondo.
agreed
rondo
wallace
draft pick sf
asik (bass bradley trade)
love

contender!

« Reply #11 on: February 19, 2014, 11:11:36 AM »

Offline acieEarl

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 47
Gotta assume Twolfs want LAs first round pick this year and some other filler. LAs the one team whom I think wouldn't have any worries about resigning him.

« Reply #12 on: February 19, 2014, 11:24:18 AM »

Offline Monkhouse

• Paul Silas

Ummm, because guess what? Rondo is still here? Their clearly intent on building around Rubio. And even though they have a slightly better team, we have a better GM and a young and upcoming budding HC that may or may not have the potential to be a top 5-7 coach in a few years.

He spoke praise about how he loves playing against us, and the fans. Like I've said, I don't think all those words he said hold traction. He recently said, "if I say I love going to Charlotte, then apparently I'm headed there." Probably shots at them, due to the lackadaisical franchise and organization their currently running.

But Brad Stevens is a great coach, and Celtics are a franchise primed with a multitude of draft picks... I seriously think from 2007, and this year, we have just as many good assets/picks to grab us another Allstar or Franchise player.

Rondo/Love is a good enough combo, that all we need is a good wing/SG scorer that can be our 2nd or go to guy when Love isn't hitting his shots. And a good defender at the C.

I don't get why you guys think we'll suck. We have so many assets its crazy to believe. Love would be thrilled to play here, plus the fans would love to cheer for Love.

This is an winning organization that has devoted and dedicated fans, and that is something Kevin Love would adore.

No one thought KG would have gone to Boston. In fact if every one remembers, he was dead set on going to LA. But Allen coming here changed that. If we can get a good young prime candidate or some good players, then maybe we can convince Love to stay and re-sign.

Believe me, Love has stated he wants to play for a big market team. But he doesn't want to lose. Do you seriously think the Lakers will have a better chance at the ring than Boston?

Even though ideally Boston isn't a huge big market for FA, its still a big market, and Love will be given plenty of praise.

I hope we get Love.

Love would be the first young superstar we've gotten in a long time. If Love does agree to re-sign and stay here, I'll name my future kid Kevin. Quote me on that.
« Last Edit: February 19, 2014, 11:31:10 AM by Monkhouse »

« Reply #13 on: February 19, 2014, 11:39:08 AM »

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 1294
Rondo/Love is a good enough combo, that all we need is a good wing/SG scorer that can be our 2nd or go to guy when Love isn't hitting his shots. And a good defender at the C.

I don't get why you guys think we'll suck. We have so many assets its crazy to believe. Love would be thrilled to play here, plus the fans would love to cheer for Love.
Well, there's that whole "playing defense" part.
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

« Reply #14 on: February 19, 2014, 11:57:21 AM »

Offline Depalma2002

• Brad Stevens
  • Tommy Points: 17
Gotta assume Twolfs want LAs first round pick this year and some other filler. LAs the one team whom I think wouldn't have any worries about resigning him.

Well, there are two teams in LA, so if he really wants to go home then there are two teams that wouldn't have to worry about signing him.

There are always whispers about Blake Griffin and Chris Paul not co-existing well. Let's see my "multiple sources" (media speak for I'm just making this crap up on the fly) tells me a Griffin for Love deal makes too much sense.

They are both All-star power forwards but totally different players. I think Love is a great fit for the Clippers. His defense will be covered up by DeAndre Jordan and his outside game is a better complement to Jordan who can't hit from outside two feet (or maybe outside 2 inches). Jordan may pick up a few more alley-oop dunks that used to go to Griffin and will at least find more room inside the restricted area with Griffin gone. Love's next contract will probably be for about what Griffin is signed for so it doesn't stretch them financially and the former UCLA Bruin gets to come home to LA.

For the Timberwolves, they replace one All-Star with another. Griffin doesn't compliment Pekovic as well but will has the flair that will help fill the arena and he is locked up through 2018 whereas Love can jump ship after next season.