Author Topic: Source: Celtics interested in Utah's Hayward  (Read 16275 times)

Re: Source: Celtics interested in Utah's Hayward
« Reply #45 on: February 18, 2014, 07:57:55 PM »

Offline BleedGreen1989

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 568
Pretty random but I was chatting with a Utah fan about all of this and this was his take...

bradley+1st is a good framework.

yes, hayward is in a role that asks too much of him. he can create for himself and others - but not as much as he's asked to do. he's not a 1st option on a good team, but you'll love him as a 3rd option, maybe even a 2nd. a good system will benefit him greatly - which we don't have. once his usage will drop, he percentages will go up again, and his TOs will lower. right now he's forcing shots, trying to create too much, and has too much the green light, and he's rushing shots that in other situations will drop for him. if you keep rondo and institute a well executed system - you'll love him. rondo setting him up would really help him a lot.
*CB Miami Heat*
Kyle Lowry, Dwayne Wade, 13th pick in even numbered rounds, 18th pick in odd numbered rounds.

« Reply #46 on: February 18, 2014, 08:12:48 PM »

Offline BballTim

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 1123
According to Marc Stein:

In Hayward's case, sources told ESPN.com that the former Butler star was not seeking the four-year max but did push for a deal commensurate with his standing as the face of Utah's rebuilding effort.

I am guessing Hayward wants to be paid more than Derrick Favors, who got four years and $47 million.  Stein said they were reluctant to go beyond $50m, so I would guess he was asking for around $54-55m. 

Trading for Hayward should mean that you are willing to match offer sheets that get that big.
I would pay him 12-13 mm because otherwise he won't sign with Us. I think we get him in a sign and trade in the offseason

Yikes. Im a  fan of GH but I don't think id pay him that. You're approaching max money.
Well in my mind either we pay him that much or we have no chance of him playing here. I think he could be the Ray Allen to Kevin Love's kg. Field a playoff team lead by rondo Hayward and our top pick and we could convince k love that we are the up and coming team to take him to the promise land.

He could be the Ray Allen to Love's KG in the same way that Jeff Green's our Paul Pierce.

« Reply #47 on: February 18, 2014, 08:17:28 PM »

Offline pokeKingCurtis

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 280
According to Marc Stein:

In Hayward's case, sources told ESPN.com that the former Butler star was not seeking the four-year max but did push for a deal commensurate with his standing as the face of Utah's rebuilding effort.

I am guessing Hayward wants to be paid more than Derrick Favors, who got four years and $47 million.  Stein said they were reluctant to go beyond $50m, so I would guess he was asking for around $54-55m. 

Trading for Hayward should mean that you are willing to match offer sheets that get that big.
I would pay him 12-13 mm because otherwise he won't sign with Us. I think we get him in a sign and trade in the offseason

Yikes. Im a  fan of GH but I don't think id pay him that. You're approaching max money.
Well in my mind either we pay him that much or we have no chance of him playing here. I think he could be the Ray Allen to Kevin Love's kg. Field a playoff team lead by rondo Hayward and our top pick and we could convince k love that we are the up and coming team to take him to the promise land.

He could be the Ray Allen to Love's KG in the same way that Jeff Green's our Paul Pierce.

That made me a little sad.

« Reply #48 on: February 18, 2014, 08:25:38 PM »

Offline BballTim

• Dave Cowens
According to Marc Stein:

I think his post made Ray and KG a little sad.

« Reply #49 on: February 18, 2014, 08:33:17 PM »

Offline pokeKingCurtis

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 280
According to Marc Stein:

Hayward could wear number 20 when he joins us at the trade deadline XD

« Reply #50 on: February 18, 2014, 08:34:16 PM »

Offline Boris Badenov

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 1065
According to Marc Stein:

We seem to be in the minority but I think Hayward could be valuable alongside Rondo, and a possible #3 guy on a (deep and well-constructed) championship team.

His shooting numbers are down this year, but I don't think players just lose the ability to shoot. His 3pt% is down to 30% from 41% on similar volume last year, and 40% average over the two prior years. That says to me that he's not getting shots where he should be getting them, or he's just having an off year.

Other than that he is a nice, well-rounded player. He's a better rebounder than Jeff Green, and he's a SG. He's a nice playmaker from the SG spot. And I think he's a capable defender whose limitations could be minimized with solid defenders around him.

Is Hayward a max guy? I don't think so. Could Hayward and Rondo be enough to lure a #1 guy to come here in FA or trade? Perhaps.

I'd gamble on him for Bradley and the Clips pick, or maybe Bradley plus the worse of ours and BKN in 2016, if he'd sign for somewhere in the 4/44 range.

« Reply #51 on: February 18, 2014, 09:09:59 PM »

Offline LooseCannon

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 950
Bradley to Utah only makes sense if they are interested in signing him beyond this season.  If they aren't, you should offer Bogans (and cash) and a first for Hayward or Humphries and a first for Hayward and Biedrins.
"The worst thing that ever happened in sports was sports radio, and the internet is sports radio on steroids with lower IQs.” -- Brian Burke, former Toronto Maple Leafs senior adviser, at the 2013 MIT Sloan Sports Analytics Conference

« Reply #52 on: February 18, 2014, 09:18:18 PM »

Offline BballTim

• Dave Cowens
According to Marc Stein:

Hayward could wear number 20 when he joins us at the trade deadline XD

Sure, just don't give out #5...

« Reply #53 on: February 18, 2014, 09:19:15 PM »

Offline esel1000

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 587
Bradley to Utah only makes sense if they are interested in signing him beyond this season.  If they aren't, you should offer Bogans (and cash) and a first for Hayward or Humphries and a first for Hayward and Biedrins.

I'd be fine with that trade if it's our Atlanta pick... trading a lotto pick for Hayward is definitely not worth it

« Reply #54 on: February 18, 2014, 09:30:45 PM »

Offline crimson_stallion

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 875
No way I'd give up Bradley for Hayward.  Right now Bradley is IMHO a more valuable player for us, and likely to accept a much smaller contract.

Hayward has been a horrible offensive player this year, and he's a mediocre defender.  The only thing on his side is size at his position, and that's not enough in this league. 

No way in hell I'd pay $13M for a player of Hayward's calibre.

« Reply #55 on: February 18, 2014, 09:41:27 PM »

Offline Surferdad

• Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 976
  • "He fiddles...and diddles..."
According to Marc Stein:

We seem to be in the minority but I think Hayward could be valuable alongside Rondo, and a possible #3 guy on a (deep and well-constructed) championship team.

His shooting numbers are down this year, but I don't think players just lose the ability to shoot. His 3pt% is down to 30% from 41% on similar volume last year, and 40% average over the two prior years. That says to me that he's not getting shots where he should be getting them, or he's just having an off year.

Other than that he is a nice, well-rounded player. He's a better rebounder than Jeff Green, and he's a SG. He's a nice playmaker from the SG spot. And I think he's a capable defender whose limitations could be minimized with solid defenders around him.

Is Hayward a max guy? I don't think so. Could Hayward and Rondo be enough to lure a #1 guy to come here in FA or trade? Perhaps.

I'd gamble on him for Bradley and the Clips pick, or maybe Bradley plus the worse of ours and BKN in 2016, if he'd sign for somewhere in the 4/44 range.
I agree with a few others here that Bradley and the Clips pick is way too much for GH. A straight up swap perhaps but I would bring Hayward off the bench. Still need a better solution at starting SG IMO.

« Reply #56 on: February 18, 2014, 09:41:42 PM »

Offline Jailan34

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 30
No way I'd give up Bradley for Hayward.  Right now Bradley is IMHO a more valuable player for us, and likely to accept a much smaller contract.

Hayward has been a horrible offensive player this year, and he's a mediocre defender.  The only thing on his side is size at his position, and that's not enough in this league. 

No way in hell I'd pay $13M for a player of Hayward's calibre.

To say that Hayward has been horrible on offense this year just isn't true. Yes his % is lower but at the same time hes being asked to do more than he ever has on an awful team. He has managed to improve both his rebounding and play making while keeping his points roughly equal even with his poor percentages.
You can't reason someone out of a position they didn't reason themselves into.

« Reply #57 on: February 18, 2014, 09:45:09 PM »

Offline crimson_stallion

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 875
According to Marc Stein:

I think not...

Hayward is no better overall than Bradley is, and getting him in Boston isn't going to draw in free agents any more than Bradley does now.

Hayward is not a star, not even close.  He's an above average starter with good size who is still fairly young.

I see him as a Trevor Ariza clone, only without Ariza's defence or athleticism.  Best case he could become a Steve Smith type, but to e honest I think  Bradley has more potential because of his athleticism, his extreme work ethic, and the fact that he contributes on both ends of the court.  I also like the fact that Bradley can still contribute without the ball in his hands, while Hayward really is a chucker.

Kinda reminds me of a 6'8" Jordan Crawford actually.

« Reply #58 on: February 18, 2014, 09:50:19 PM »

Offline indeedproceed

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2756
  • You ain't the boss of the freakin' bedclothes.
During team USA's workouts this summer Hayward was praised by the coaches for his defense. I'm not gonna get too invested in correcting some of the analysis here, I'll leave it at if Gordon Hayward were ever to be a member of the Celtics we would adore the crap out of him.

"You've gotta respect a 15-percent 3-point shooter. A guy
like that is always lethal." - Evan 'The God' Turner

« Reply #59 on: February 18, 2014, 09:52:10 PM »

Offline celticslove

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 188
hope we could find a way to deal snooze for hayward instead of bradley. it would be more fun watching rondo/bradley/hayward than rondo/bradley/snooze i think.