Author Topic: How Bad Does CHA Want the Playoffs?  (Read 7740 times)

How Bad Does CHA Want the Playoffs?
« on: February 18, 2014, 03:23:40 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
http://espn.go.com/nba/tradeMachine?tradeId=l6tz98h

Green + Bass + Faverani

for

Gordon + Biyombo + Jeff Adrien

The Celtics clear a ton of future salary and get a defensive PF / C prospect who could play next to Sullinger and Olynyk.

Only works if the 'Cats are really serious about making a push for the playoffs this year and next (i.e. it requires them to make a dumb, though maybe plausible, decision).
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

Re: How Bad Does CHA Want the Playoffs?
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2014, 03:26:25 PM »

Offline ssspence

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 403
They're a great trade partner for BOS, though I have my doubts about their interest in Jeff Green.

There are logical small deals (Bass) & big deals (Rondo) with them, IMO, assuming they indeed want 'em bad enough to pony up.

Mike

(My name is not Mike)

« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2014, 03:30:58 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
They're a great trade partner for BOS, though I have my doubts about their interest in Jeff Green.

There are logical small deals (Bass) & big deals (Rondo) with them, IMO, assuming they indeed want 'em bad enough to pony up.

Jeff Green would make some sense on that team.  They really need a wing with size who can defend adequately and score a bit.  I read somewhere that they almost traded for Caron Butler but that the talks broke down.  They don't have a wing like that at the moment, and while they have a bunch of 4s, none of them is really much of a defender unless you count Biyombo, who can't score outside of 5 feet.

Walker-Henderson-Green-Bass-Jefferson could compete with any of the teams in the East other than the top 2 (who nobody is challenging this year).
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2014, 03:31:02 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867
Add rondo for a 2014 1st and mkg

« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2014, 03:52:50 PM »

Offline ssspence

• Paul Silas

Jeff Green would make some sense on that team.  They really need a wing with size who can defend adequately and score a bit.  I read somewhere that they almost traded for Caron Butler but that the talks broke down.  They don't have a wing like that at the moment, and while they have a bunch of 4s, none of them is really much of a defender unless you count Biyombo, who can't score outside of 5 feet.

Walker-Henderson-Green-Bass-Jefferson could compete with any of the teams in the East other than the top 2 (who nobody is challenging this year).

I don't disagree. I'm not saying I think he makes no sense, just that it's my opinion they're not especially interested in him. 

Example deal that makes sense (to me):

http://espn.go.com/nba/tradeMachine?tradeId=mrsouva

CHA also trades: Detroit's 1st this year, and their own pick in 2016 (i think that works). if not, Portland's 1st this year. So 2 picks 

yes, I know Kemba Walker is good.

no, I don't see MKG or Zeller in the deal as alternatives.

yes, I think they'll take back Gerald Wallace in a deal like this. no better way to kiss and make up than to reacquire a guy.
Mike

(My name is not Mike)

« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2014, 04:02:09 PM »

Offline csfansince60s

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 2238
They invested about $65 mil in 3 players last summer. Therefore, most logical people would think that they want to make the playoffs given that investment and hence are great trading partners with us for a multitude of reasons. I don't think that MJ is very logical, as has been exhibited by his numerous bonehead moves.

Hump (both as an expiring and a seasoned, contributing big), Green, Bass, Bradley could all (in any combination or solely)bring substantial contributions to a playoff push.

Horncats have assets we covet: young players (Biyombo, MKG, Jeff Taylor, Kemba Walker), numerous draft picks and big expirings (Gordon)that could make numbers work.

Jordan's a dumbass. He's holding out for Turner, when he could have had some of our vets already, contributing and bringing stability to that team.

Dope.

« Reply #6 on: February 18, 2014, 04:17:57 PM »

Offline Mr October

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 247
Does Charlotte have any interest in bass? Don't they already have a player like that, except perhaps better and cheaper, in Josh McRoberts?

I like the idea of the celtics getting a good look at Biyombo though.

« Reply #7 on: February 18, 2014, 04:43:16 PM »

Offline CFAN38

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 420
As others have said a Bobcats - Cs trade makes alot of sense. Green, Bass and Humph would all make sense on their team and help them make a rare playoff appearance.
Mavs
Wiz
Hornet

« Reply #8 on: February 18, 2014, 04:49:35 PM »

Offline D.o.s.

• NCE
  • Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 1239
I actually think a Bobcats/Sixers trade around the 'Cats receiving Evan Turner makes the most sense.
At least a goldfish with a Lincoln Log on its back goin' across your floor to your sock drawer has a miraculous connotation to it.

« Reply #9 on: February 18, 2014, 04:50:39 PM »

Offline csfansince60s

• Paul Silas
Hope the Horncats get their ass kicked tonight against Detroit. Maybe that will knock some sense into Jordan.

"Sense" and "MJ" in the same sentence? Sorry. Lost my head.
Go find yours, MJ. Here's a hint. Look behind you!

« Reply #10 on: February 18, 2014, 04:52:09 PM »

Offline ssspence

• Paul Silas
Hope the Horncats get their ass kicked tonight against Detroit. Maybe that will knock some sense into Jordan.

It would also have the added benefit of ensuring Detroit's pick makes it to Charlotte this season, so they can trade it to us.
Mike

(My name is not Mike)

« Reply #11 on: February 18, 2014, 04:56:03 PM »

Offline csfansince60s

• Paul Silas
I actually think a Bobcats/Sixers trade around the 'Cats receiving Evan Turner makes the most sense.

I agree with this, and CHA has multiple firsts to be able to do this (give Philly one).

Logically, it should happen. BUT, they don't want to cough up even a late first for Gasol! Imagine what he could do for their playoff push (if he's healthy).

If they don't want to give up a first for either of those guys, what is the chance that they will for Bass, or Green or Hump?

« Reply #12 on: February 18, 2014, 04:57:05 PM »

Offline csfansince60s

• Paul Silas

It would also have the added benefit of ensuring Detroit's pick makes it to Charlotte this season, so they can trade it to us.

+1...sspence...like your thinking....now if only we could get that dope to think that way!!

« Reply #13 on: February 18, 2014, 05:16:48 PM »

Offline D.o.s.

• NCE
  • Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 1239

I agree with this, and CHA has multiple firsts to be able to do this (give Philly one).

Logically, it should happen. BUT, they don't want to cough up even a late first for Gasol! Imagine what he could do for their playoff push (if he's healthy).

If they don't want to give up a first for either of those guys, what is the chance that they will for Bass, or Green or Hump?

Turner's a better fit for them than Gasol, I think, and is a much friendlier contract (even if Pau is expiring).

The word is that any player that goes back to Philly almost certainly has to be an expiring contract, so with that in mind (and assuming Charlotte goes in with a first round pick):

http://espn.go.com/nba/tradeMachine?tradeId=k88rpd7

If that doesn't load, it's

Charlotte Sends:
1st rounder
Ben Gordon
Ramon Sessions
Jeff Adrian

Philly Sends:
E. Turner
Thad Young (who they're also looking to sell on)
At least a goldfish with a Lincoln Log on its back goin' across your floor to your sock drawer has a miraculous connotation to it.

« Reply #14 on: February 18, 2014, 05:17:01 PM »

Offline LooseCannon

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 950
Does Charlotte have any interest in bass? Don't they already have a player like that, except perhaps better and cheaper, in Josh McRoberts?

They are reported to have some interest, but they seem to be kicking the tires on any big man out there.

Bass wouldn't be a replacement for McRoberts, he'd be a replacement for Cody Zeller in their big man rotation, with Jefferson shifting more of his minutes as the center. 

I'd guess that Charlotte would like to keep Biymbo, MKG, Taylor, and Walker.  I think they'd also like to preserve cap space.  If they could salary dump some players (Zeller, Heywood), they might be able to offer max contracts to both Greg Monroe and Lance Stephenson.
"The worst thing that ever happened in sports was sports radio, and the internet is sports radio on steroids with lower IQs.” -- Brian Burke, former Toronto Maple Leafs senior adviser, at the 2013 MIT Sloan Sports Analytics Conference