Author Topic: if Knicks made this offer  (Read 11840 times)

Re: if Knicks made this offer
« Reply #30 on: February 18, 2014, 03:55:01 PM »

Online RJ87

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1408
  • Let's Go Celtics!
How a basketball player ( or really any athlete) deals with the media should have zero bearing on whether or not they can lead their respective teams.

Ahh, you want to be careful about letting your own biases lead you into absolutes here.

History contradicts you, particularly Celtics history. It's worthy of note that Bird had a serious antipathy for the media when he arrived in Boston - just a few years later he used it to lead his team to a Finals victory over the Lakers.

You're totally off-base saying media relationships have no pertinence to locker room leadership. Do they always? Of course not. But the savvy - Bird - can use the media adeptly to lead a locker room.

If you read what I responding to, this backs up what I was getting at;  Auerbach and the organization weren't stupid enough to deal Bird just because of the way he dealt with the media early on.

If a guy appears to be sulking in a media interview, it doesn't really offer any insight on how the guy is in the locker room with teammates or on the court.

Since its history lesson time, take a look at Ted Williams, Mickey Mantle, Marshawn Lynch, Randy Moss (first two years with Pats at least), and several other athletes.

Numerous guys haven't faired well with the media in the past and done quite fine when it comes to their actual job (playing sports).

Its foolish to think that you can make a proper assessement on a guy's leadership abilities by studying the body language of a guy when he's being interviewed.  It shouldn't really mean squat.

I'm not sure how that's "totally off base" at all.  Fine, we can remove the absolutes if you wish but there's plenty of history to back up what I'm saying.

There are also plenty of guys who have portrayed leadership qualities at interviews, media etc and their teams have followed their lead. For example kg, pierce, david ortiz, chara, lucic, etc

They are straight shooters.  Ted williams was reserved and let his game speak. Rondo is not at that level. Even if you lose as a leader you shouldnt sulk.

How again is he sulking?  Is his body language during interviews not living up to your standards?

You wanna quote some soundbites to illustrate this?

Some athletes are more comfortable with the press than others.  It has always been that way.  Rondo is who he is.  He doesn't have to be Ortiz with the media, nor does he need to be Lynch with them, either.

That aspect of being a professional athlete just doesn't tell me much about what they do on the court/field/diamond/ice etc...

2021 Houston Rockets
PG: Kyrie Irving/Patty Mills/Jalen Brunson
SG: OG Anunoby/Norman Powell/Matisse Thybulle
SF: Gordon Hayward/Demar Derozan
PF: Giannis Antetokounmpo/Robert Covington
C: Kristaps Porzingis/Bobby Portis/James Wiseman

« Reply #31 on: February 18, 2014, 03:56:51 PM »

Offline manl_lui

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 427
How a basketball player ( or really any athlete) deals with the media should have zero bearing on whether or not they can lead their respective teams.

Ahh, you want to be careful about letting your own biases lead you into absolutes here.

History contradicts you, particularly Celtics history. It's worthy of note that Bird had a serious antipathy for the media when he arrived in Boston - just a few years later he used it to lead his team to a Finals victory over the Lakers.

You're totally off-base saying media relationships have no pertinence to locker room leadership. Do they always? Of course not. But the savvy - Bird - can use the media adeptly to lead a locker room.

If you read what I responding to, this backs up what I was getting at;  Auerbach and the organization weren't stupid enough to deal Bird just because of the way he dealt with the media early on.

If a guy appears to be sulking in a media interview, it doesn't really offer any insight on how the guy is in the locker room with teammates or on the court.

Since its history lesson time, take a look at Ted Williams, Mickey Mantle, Marshawn Lynch, Randy Moss (first two years with Pats at least), and several other athletes.

Numerous guys haven't faired well with the media in the past and done quite fine when it comes to their actual job (playing sports).

Its foolish to think that you can make a proper assessement on a guy's leadership abilities by studying the body language of a guy when he's being interviewed.  It shouldn't really mean squat.

I'm not sure how that's "totally off base" at all.  Fine, we can remove the absolutes if you wish but there's plenty of history to back up what I'm saying.

There are also plenty of guys who have portrayed leadership qualities at interviews, media etc and their teams have followed their lead. For example kg, pierce, david ortiz, chara, lucic, etc

They are straight shooters.  Ted williams was reserved and let his game speak. Rondo is not at that level. Even if you lose as a leader you shouldnt sulk.

How again is he sulking?  Is his body language during interviews not living up to your standards?

Some athletes are more comfortable with the press than others.  It has always been that way.  Rondo is who he is.  He doesn't have to be Ortiz with the media, nor does he need to be Lynch with them, either.

That aspect of being a professional athlete just doesn't tell me much about what they do on the court/field/diamond/ice etc...

basing a player's ability to handle the media for his value is just absolutely RIDICULOUS (Tommy's voice), just TERRIBLE

value Rondo for his skills and talent, not how charismatic he is

« Reply #32 on: February 18, 2014, 03:58:00 PM »

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 1616
  • What a Pub Should Be

Ha...  Very good case in point. 

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #33 on: February 18, 2014, 04:06:20 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867

basing a player's ability to handle the media for his value is just absolutely RIDICULOUS (Tommy's voice), just TERRIBLE

value Rondo for his skills and talent, not how charismatic he is

Your making stuff up now. I said imo rondo doesnt have/portray much leadership skills bc of x,y,z. I never talked about value

Can i not like a player without being attacked by rondo fanatics who practice rondoism?

« Reply #34 on: February 18, 2014, 04:12:09 PM »

Offline Boris Badenov

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 1065
Man, you are dying to get rid of rondo huh?

Yup. He is not the player Danny hopes he can be. He is not kg or even pierce in terms to be able to lead a team. He is kind of a loner and doesnt strike me as a team first guy. His interviews are depressing.

If your the guy that is going to help rebuild you need to be able to inspire others. Do you think rondo can? He knows the game and is a good player. But thats it

Not a team guy?

What have you been watching the past 8 years? 

And how exactly do you know whether or not he's the player that Danny wants him to be?  Do you have insight into Danny or just throwing anything against a wall and seeing what sticks?

Danny wants to rebuild around him. Stevens gave him captain title. 

To me this means he is the face of the franchise moving fwd. The leader. He has shown me very little leadership skills so far

He has been influenced and inspired by doc, kg, pp, allen though

You listen to rondo talk at interviews etc. He rarely says "we". He doesnt praise anybody, he just doesnt care it sounds like.

Last week a reporter asked him how it feels not to be going to the all star game. His response was that it doesnt matter. Imo it should matter at least a little.

The guy doesn't care about going to all-star games but he's willing to come back into a game 5 minutes after his elbow was bent the wrong way to help his team win a playoff game. I doubt you'll find a better example of a team player than that.

Can you forget the past for a moment. We are talking about now and moving fwd.

The past doesnt prove he can inspire and lead a new team.

Its not easy to be convinced that he can lead a group of guys the way he sulks at interviews.

Post a video that's an example of what you're talking about.

« Reply #35 on: February 18, 2014, 04:13:37 PM »

Offline BballTim

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 1123

Your making stuff up now. I said imo rondo doesnt have/portray much leadership skills bc of x,y,z. I never talked about value

Can i not like a player without being attacked by rondo fanatics who practice rondoism?

Sure, if you consider relying on the comments from players and coaches over your tea leaf reading of his interviews to be rondoism.

« Reply #36 on: February 18, 2014, 04:15:58 PM »

Online RJ87

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Let's Go Celtics!

You did, you said we should trade him because he isn't what Danny wants him to be (I'm curious to know what Danny wants him to be though, so please do share) and isn't a good leader/is a loner.

But you basically just got to the point - you don't like him. Why don't you just admit that instead of making these claims based on TV interviews? Or completely ignoring any and all stats that don't perfectly coincide with your bias?

Conjecture based on AntiRondoism.
2021 Houston Rockets

« Reply #37 on: February 18, 2014, 04:20:36 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867

You did, you said we should trade because he isn't what Danny wants him to be and isn't a good leader.

But you basically just got the point - you don't like him. Why don't you just admit that instead of making these claims based on TV interviews? Or completely ignoring any and all stats that don't perfectly coincide with your bias?

Its my opinion. He is not a good leader, especially for a rebuilding team.

Also he is suppose to be our savior or franchise guy to lead us fwd.  But he is not that kind of player

Last season proved this already.

« Reply #38 on: February 18, 2014, 04:31:18 PM »

Offline rondohondo

• NCE
  • Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 1196

You did, you said we should trade because he isn't what Danny wants him to be and isn't a good leader.

But you basically just got the point - you don't like him. Why don't you just admit that instead of making these claims based on TV interviews? Or completely ignoring any and all stats that don't perfectly coincide with your bias?

Also he is suppose to be our savior or franchise guy to lead us fwd.  But he is not that kind of player

Keyon Dooling only spent one season in Boston, but it was enough for him to see just how much of a leader Rajon Rondo can be.

"He is the most underappreciated leader in this league," Dooling recently said of Rondo, according to ESPN.com. "Do you know how many times we were at the Rondo family home [last season]? We were there all the time, bonding, building team chemistry.

« Reply #39 on: February 18, 2014, 04:49:37 PM »

Offline ShermansShoes

• Neemias Queta
  • Tommy Points: 4
Aren't the Knicks exactly the kind of desperate team you take advantage of in trade situations.  Is there not one package that they can offer that would knock Ainge's socks off?  Are they totally devoid of talent and picks?  I suck at the trade machine.  Can someone post some ridiculous Knicks Celtics trade that I can look at and go "Ya, I'd probably do that".?

« Reply #40 on: February 18, 2014, 04:52:39 PM »

Online RJ87

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Let's Go Celtics!
Aren't the Knicks exactly the kind of desperate team you take advantage of in trade situations.  Is there not one package that they can offer that would knock Ainge's socks off?  Are they totally devoid of talent and picks?  I suck at the trade machine.  Can someone post some ridiculous Knicks Celtics trade that I can look at and go "Ya, I'd probably do that".?

The only assets they have are Tim Hardaway, Jr. and Iman Shumpert. They have no first rounders to trade for the foreesable future. They're basically tapped out.
2021 Houston Rockets

« Reply #41 on: February 19, 2014, 08:29:14 AM »

Offline wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • Basketball is Newtonian Physics

He is not suppose to be the "savior" to the Celtics.

He is a top 5 PG that can be one of the key building blocks for the Celtics.  The only reason he should be traded is if the Celtics can get back a key building block that Ainge thinks will work better.  He should not be traded just to be traded.

Plus, there is only one NBA player in the league right now that has strapped on a team and carry it to the Finals, and that is Lebron James with Cleveland.  And even then, it was not enough to win a title.