Author Topic: if Knicks made this offer  (Read 11821 times)

Re: if Knicks made this offer
« Reply #15 on: February 18, 2014, 01:46:44 PM »

Offline manl_lui

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 427
Man, you are dying to get rid of rondo huh?

Yup. He is not the player Danny hopes he can be. He is not kg or even pierce in terms to be able to lead a team. He is kind of a loner and doesnt strike me as a team first guy. His interviews are depressing.

If your the guy that is going to help rebuild you need to be able to inspire others. Do you think rondo can? He knows the game and is a good player. But thats it

Not a team guy?

What have you been watching the past 8 years? 

And how exactly do you know whether or not he's the player that Danny wants him to be?  Do you have insight into Danny or just throwing anything against a wall and seeing what sticks?

Danny wants to rebuild around him. Stevens gave him captain title. 

To me this means he is the face of the franchise moving fwd. The leader. He has shown me very little leadership skills so far

He has been influenced and inspired by doc, kg, pp, allen though

You listen to rondo talk at interviews etc. He rarely says "we". He doesnt praise anybody, he just doesnt care it sounds like.

Last week a reporter asked him how it feels not to be going to the all star game. His response was that it doesnt matter. Imo it should matter at least a little.

The guy doesn't care about going to all-star games but he's willing to come back into a game 5 minutes after his elbow was bent the wrong way to help his team win a playoff game. I doubt you'll find a better example of a team player than that.

Can you forget the past for a moment. We are talking about now and moving fwd.

The past doesnt prove he can inspire and lead a new team.

Its not easy to be convinced that he can lead a group of guys the way he sulks at interviews.

Rondo is young and can definitely help lead this team. This is moving forward. You just need to add another reliable go-to scorer with Rondo. If you think about it, we actually got Rondo for cheap. We DO NOT need to get rid of Rondo that quickly.

« Reply #16 on: February 18, 2014, 01:47:18 PM »

Offline BballTim

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 1123
Man, you are dying to get rid of rondo huh?

Yup. He is not the player Danny hopes he can be. He is not kg or even pierce in terms to be able to lead a team. He is kind of a loner and doesnt strike me as a team first guy. His interviews are depressing.

If your the guy that is going to help rebuild you need to be able to inspire others. Do you think rondo can? He knows the game and is a good player. But thats it

Not a team guy?

What have you been watching the past 8 years? 

And how exactly do you know whether or not he's the player that Danny wants him to be?  Do you have insight into Danny or just throwing anything against a wall and seeing what sticks?

Danny wants to rebuild around him. Stevens gave him captain title. 

To me this means he is the face of the franchise moving fwd. The leader. He has shown me very little leadership skills so far

He has been influenced and inspired by doc, kg, pp, allen though

You listen to rondo talk at interviews etc. He rarely says "we". He doesnt praise anybody, he just doesnt care it sounds like.

Last week a reporter asked him how it feels not to be going to the all star game. His response was that it doesnt matter. Imo it should matter at least a little.

The guy doesn't care about going to all-star games but he's willing to come back into a game 5 minutes after his elbow was bent the wrong way to help his team win a playoff game. I doubt you'll find a better example of a team player than that.

Can you forget the past for a moment. We are talking about now and moving fwd.

The past doesnt prove he can inspire and lead a new team.

Its not easy to be convinced that he can lead a group of guys the way he sulks at interviews.

We're talking about the same person, who's been in the league for quite a while. Again I'll say that everyone involved with the team that's commented on Rondo's leadership have a completely different view than you do. I'd guess they know more about the subject than you're picking up in a few interviews.

« Reply #17 on: February 18, 2014, 01:50:14 PM »

Online Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • What a Pub Should Be
How a basketball player ( or really any athlete) deals with the media should have zero bearing on whether or not they can lead their respective teams.

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #18 on: February 18, 2014, 02:40:14 PM »

Offline CoachBo

• NCE
  • Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 336
How a basketball player ( or really any athlete) deals with the media should have zero bearing on whether or not they can lead their respective teams.

Ahh, you want to be careful about letting your own biases lead you into absolutes here.

History contradicts you, particularly Celtics history. It's worthy of note that Bird had a serious antipathy for the media when he arrived in Boston - just a few years later he used it to lead his team to a Finals victory over the Lakers.

You're totally off-base saying media relationships have no pertinence to locker room leadership. Do they always? Of course not. But the savvy - Bird - can use the media adeptly to lead a locker room.
Coined the CelticsBlog term, "Euromistake."

« Reply #19 on: February 18, 2014, 02:50:35 PM »

Offline wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Basketball is Newtonian Physics
Still a terrible trade in terms of value for Rondo.

The Celtics do not have to just rid themselves of all talent to rebuild.  They have to use the talent they have now as assets, either as part of the on court rebuild or in trades that bring back real value.

« Reply #20 on: February 18, 2014, 02:53:10 PM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327
Questioning others "fanhood" isn't allowed by our rules, only warning.

« Reply #21 on: February 18, 2014, 02:54:11 PM »

Offline timobusa

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 284
  • Bleed Green, Die Green
looooooooooooooooooooool

« Reply #22 on: February 18, 2014, 02:56:37 PM »

Online Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • What a Pub Should Be

Ahh, you want to be careful about letting your own biases lead you into absolutes here.

History contradicts you, particularly Celtics history. It's worthy of note that Bird had a serious antipathy for the media when he arrived in Boston - just a few years later he used it to lead his team to a Finals victory over the Lakers.

You're totally off-base saying media relationships have no pertinence to locker room leadership. Do they always? Of course not. But the savvy - Bird - can use the media adeptly to lead a locker room.

If you read what I responding to, this backs up what I was getting at;  Auerbach and the organization weren't stupid enough to deal Bird just because of the way he dealt with the media early on.

If a guy appears to be sulking in a media interview, it doesn't really offer any insight on how the guy is in the locker room with teammates or on the court.

Since its history lesson time, take a look at Ted Williams, Mickey Mantle, Marshawn Lynch, Randy Moss (first two years with Pats at least), and several other athletes.

Numerous guys haven't faired well with the media in the past and done quite fine when it comes to their actual job (playing sports).

Its foolish to think that you can make a proper assessement on a guy's leadership abilities by studying the body language of a guy when he's being interviewed.  It shouldn't really mean squat.

I'm not sure how that's "totally off base" at all.  Fine, we can remove the absolutes if you wish but there's plenty of history to back up what I'm saying.

« Reply #23 on: February 18, 2014, 02:57:41 PM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2961
Knicks don't have anything to trade for Rondo ...but Melo  ;D

They are shopping in the wrong store .........to upscale with what assets they have.....empty pockets

Knicks need to wait for a blue lite special at Kmart    Or

Check out....

We have Bass and Bradley on our ..."bargain aisle "

They have to take Wallace contract , or I hang up the phone and don't waste time listening further

« Reply #24 on: February 18, 2014, 02:57:46 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867
I think if the knicks made this offer , danny will think about it.

One reason he refuses is that with the new pieces we might actually make the playoffs

« Reply #25 on: February 18, 2014, 02:59:19 PM »

Offline BballTim

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 1123

Bird had already led the team to a title. And I wouldn't count on the thought that Bird spoke to the media and not to the team in person about his thoughts after game 3.

« Reply #26 on: February 18, 2014, 03:01:14 PM »

Offline wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Basketball is Newtonian Physics

One reason he refuses is that with the new pieces we might actually make the playoffs

No he wouldn't.  We have already heard rumors of better offers that Ainge has turned down.

« Reply #27 on: February 18, 2014, 03:04:44 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867

If you read what I responding to, this backs up what I was getting at;  Auerbach and the organization weren't stupid enough to deal Bird just because of the way he dealt with the media early on.

If a guy appears to be sulking in a media interview, it doesn't really offer any insight on how the guy is in the locker room with teammates or on the court.

Since its history lesson time, take a look at Ted Williams, Mickey Mantle, Marshawn Lynch, Randy Moss (first two years with Pats at least), and several other athletes.

Numerous guys haven't faired well with the media in the past and done quite fine when it comes to their actual job (playing sports).

Its foolish to think that you can make a proper assessement on a guy's leadership abilities by studying the body language of a guy when he's being interviewed.  It shouldn't really mean squat.

I'm not sure how that's "totally off base" at all.  Fine, we can remove the absolutes if you wish but there's plenty of history to back up what I'm saying.

There are also plenty of guys who have portrayed leadership qualities at interviews, media etc and their teams have followed their lead. For example kg, pierce, david ortiz, chara, lucic, etc

They are straight shooters.  Ted williams was reserved and let his game speak instead. Rondo is not at that level. Even if you lose as a leader you shouldnt sulk.

« Reply #28 on: February 18, 2014, 03:08:59 PM »

Online Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • What a Pub Should Be

There are also plenty of guys who have portrayed leadership qualities at interviews, media etc and their teams have followed their lead. For example kg, pierce, david ortiz, chara, lucic, etc

They are straight shooters.  Ted williams was reserved and let his game speak. Rondo is not at that level. Even if you lose as a leader you shouldnt sulk.

How again is he sulking?  Is his body language during interviews not living up to your standards?

You wanna quote some soundbites to illustrate this?

Some athletes are more comfortable with the press than others.  It has always been that way.  Rondo is who he is.  He doesn't have to be Ortiz with the media, nor does he need to be Lynch with them, either.

That aspect of being a professional athlete just doesn't tell me much about what they do on the court/field/diamond/ice etc...

« Reply #29 on: February 18, 2014, 03:50:01 PM »

Offline Geo123

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 33

He wouldn't think about it.  He has a brain....