Author Topic: Where are the Bass and Hump rumors?  (Read 4796 times)

Where are the Bass and Hump rumors?
« on: February 18, 2014, 12:32:28 PM »

Offline Mr October

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 247
All the Rondo chatter sounds like a puff of smoke with no 2 way substance. He isn't the guy who needs relocating anyway!

We still have about 14 power forwards on this roster! How about some team giving us even some second round pick love for Bass or Humphries?

Even a jeff green rumor would be a breath of fresh air among all this rondo smoke.  :)

Re: Where are the Bass and Hump rumors?
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2014, 12:34:10 PM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1834
good point.  maybe if danny took rondo off the trade block, other teams would focus on our available assets. 

« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2014, 12:38:51 PM »

Online Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2404
Humphries is too hard to trade with that giant contract of his.

To match salaries in a deal, I mean. Teams have to give up too many players to get him. And he isn't good enough to justify it.

« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2014, 12:43:57 PM »

Offline dreamgreen

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 182
IMO we need to move Bass, he is in the way of KO and not a long term solution. Moving Green would be good too in the right deal, and of course getting rid of Wallace would be a dream come true.

« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2014, 12:44:52 PM »

Offline LooseCannon

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 950
If anyone had the contracts to match for Humphries, they are probably looking at Pau Gasol first.  He might be a potential plan B for some of the teams rumored to be interested in Gasol.

The biggest Bass rumor is that Golden State is interested in using its trade exception to absorb his contract.  Their problem is that they don't even have a second-round pick to send back to Boston.  It'd be stupid to trade Bass away for literally nothing in return as a pure salary dump.
"The worst thing that ever happened in sports was sports radio, and the internet is sports radio on steroids with lower IQs.” -- Brian Burke, former Toronto Maple Leafs senior adviser, at the 2013 MIT Sloan Sports Analytics Conference

« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2014, 01:06:35 PM »

Offline Mr October

• Paul Silas
Humphries is too hard to trade with that giant contract of his.

To match salaries in a deal, I mean. Teams have to give up too many players to get him. And he isn't good enough to justify it.

Hmmm. Combine that with the celtics having only 800k of wiggle room under the tax line, we are in for a difficult trade deadline.

I took a spin through the player salaries and yeah, humphries isn't going anywhere. I dont think bass has much of a need at his price range either.

We might be looking at nothing happening in trade land for the celtics. They certainly aren't in a powerful selling position.

« Reply #6 on: February 18, 2014, 01:08:55 PM »

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 642
Here's the thing.  Sometimes when there are no rumors, it means that its more likely that something is going down.  Particularly with the C's involved.  The C's run a tight ship, unless they want something to get out there.  I think the Rondo smoke is more of an indication that there aren't real discussions going on.  But the quiet around other guys might mean things are ongoing. 

« Reply #7 on: February 18, 2014, 01:09:29 PM »

Offline furball

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 95
I think the lack of rumors mean Bass and Humph are much more likely to be traded.  Remember, most of Ainges trades come out of nowhere. 

« Reply #8 on: February 18, 2014, 01:10:27 PM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327
Here's the thing.  Sometimes when there are no rumors, it means that its more likely that something is going down.  Particularly with the C's involved.  The C's run a tight ship, unless they want something to get out there.  I think the Rondo smoke is more of an indication that there aren't real discussions going on.  But the quiet around other guys might mean things are ongoing.
I think there are probably a few scenarios involving Bass as backup plans for teams. Though who knows if any will come to fruition.

« Reply #9 on: February 18, 2014, 01:12:09 PM »

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 642
I think there are probably a few scenarios involving Bass as backup plans for teams. Though who knows if any will come to fruition.

Yeah, I saw this tweeted and it makes sense.  Probably the same case with Hump.  There are better options that contenders will explore, but if they can't make them work, then Danny will be waiting.

It's important to remember that there is nothing compelling Danny to pull the trigger on either of these guys.  I think he would gladly let Hump expire and have Bass as trade fodder as an expiring contract next season.

« Reply #10 on: February 18, 2014, 01:13:25 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
Humphries makes a lot of money for an expiring contract.  I doubt Danny will be willing to take on future salary in exchange for Hump, so it's hard to come up with trade scenarios.

I think Bass will get traded, but you won't hear a lot of rumors about it until later this week.  It'll be a late-game move.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #11 on: February 18, 2014, 01:13:26 PM »

Offline Mr October

• Paul Silas
If anyone had the contracts to match for Humphries, they are probably looking at Pau Gasol first.  He might be a potential plan B for some of the teams rumored to be interested in Gasol.

The biggest Bass rumor is that Golden State is interested in using its trade exception to absorb his contract.  Their problem is that they don't even have a second-round pick to send back to Boston.  It'd be stupid to trade Bass away for literally nothing in return as a pure salary dump.

It is hard to imagine golden state absorbing bass's contract. He would out them 4 million over the tax line, making his cost to the team around 10 million dollars. That is a big price for a backup.

If Houston ever wanted to revisit an asik deal, i would be glad to send them bass and green, or some other package like that.

« Reply #12 on: February 18, 2014, 01:30:13 PM »

Offline bdm860

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 4593
I just figured it was because guys on their level aren’t really featured in rumors, because most people don’t care (I mean I know we care, but I don’t think most of the fanbases of teams who would get Bass or Hump really care, nor do general fans of the league or the Celtics).

Fab Melo, Barbosa for Crawford, Crawford for Anthony, Glen Davis for Bass, Keyon Dooling, Lee for Bayless, Eddie House for Nate Robinson, etc.  These are the trades you never really hear about until they happen, because people don’t really care.  No big names, no game changers = no news.

After 18 months with their Bigs, the Littles were: 46% less likely to use illegal drugs, 27% less likely to use alcohol, 52% less likely to skip school, 37% less likely to skip a class

« Reply #13 on: February 18, 2014, 01:41:08 PM »

Online SparzWizard

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 998
I think the lack of rumors mean Bass and Humph are much more likely to be traded.  Remember, most of Ainges trades come out of nowhere.

I agree. I didn't expect Kendrick Perkins to be traded that year...and he was barely ever mentioned in trade rumors. Ainge is a sneaky one.

#JTJB (Just Trade Jaylen Brown)
#JFJM (Just Fire Joe Mazzulla)

« Reply #14 on: February 18, 2014, 01:45:33 PM »

Offline LooseCannon

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 950

It is hard to imagine golden state absorbing bass's contract. He would out them 4 million over the tax line, making his cost to the team around 10 million dollars. That is a big price for a backup.

They are supposedly looking for an upgrade over Marrese Speights, who has been disappointing, so maybe they are willing to send him back and maybe Ainge doesn't want him without some other compensation.

I think it's also been said that the Warriors are willing to dip into the luxury tax this season.
"The worst thing that ever happened in sports was sports radio, and the internet is sports radio on steroids with lower IQs.” -- Brian Burke, former Toronto Maple Leafs senior adviser, at the 2013 MIT Sloan Sports Analytics Conference