Author Topic: NBA Sources: Despite swirling rumors, expect Rondo to stick with Celtics  (Read 14271 times)

Re: NBA Sources: Despite swirling rumors, expect Rondo to stick with Celtics
« Reply #45 on: February 18, 2014, 02:56:15 PM »

Offline BballTim

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 1123

Again, though, if you think it's a case of Danny valuing Rondo higher than other GMs do, start listing regular all-stars in their 20s that are happy and playing for teams that want to keep them that you think could be had for a reasonable price. If there's an injury involved, someone who's back on the court and isn't showing signs of permanent/recurring issues.

As mentioned before, I think Holiday is probably the closest and most recent comp we can make at this point.  The only other point guard trade I can think of in recent years was the Deron Williams trade, and I think it's fair to say he was held in higher regard league-wide than Rondo is.  In any case, I don't think you can go back too far with these trade comparisons because the market changes over time, especially with a new CBA.

Another complicating factor is that usually when you're talking about perennial All-Stars you're talking about guys who score 18-20+ points a game.  Not many All-Stars average ~12 points a game for their career.  That doesn't mean Rondo isn't a legitimate All-Star.  The point is just that right or wrong, the ability to be a volume scorer on a nightly basis is highly valued around the league.

All of this is to say that Danny probably values Rondo differently than most GMs around the league because I expect that if you asked 5 GMs about Rondo's value there's a good chance you'd get 5 different answers.

Excellent take.

This is actually a fascinating dilemma for Ainge. Rondo is not a volume scorer, nor will he ever be. His value to a team lies in setting up volume scorers - which the Celtics lack and may lack for awhile.

His value is getting easy shots for his teammates, rebounding and defense. He hasn't been playing with any volume scorers since 2010 or so. If he  was we'd  have won another title or two.

« Reply #46 on: February 18, 2014, 03:07:34 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182

Except Thomas is in line for a serous pay raise next season.

That's true, although due to his size I doubt Thomas will cost too much more than Jeff Teague.  At most he gets Lawson money. 
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #47 on: February 18, 2014, 03:10:51 PM »

Offline Evantime34

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 764
  • Eagerly Awaiting the Next Fantasy Draft
Ric Bucher says that it would take Harrison Barnes and Klay Thompson to get Rondo to Golden State as well as Asik, Lin and an unprotected first to get him to Houston. I would do the first deal without blinking,

I think Asik, Lin and a late unprotected first are not enough however.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1964598-nba-trade-deadline-deals-ric-bucher-wants-to-see-happen?utm_source=twitter.com&utm_medium=referral&utm_campaign=programming-national
DKC:  Rockets
CB Draft: Memphis Grizz
Players: Klay Thompson, Jabari Parker, Aaron Gordon
Next 3 picks: 4.14, 4.15, 4.19

« Reply #48 on: February 18, 2014, 03:11:42 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish

His value is getting easy shots for his teammates, rebounding and defense. He hasn't been playing with any volume scorers since 2010 or so. If he  was we'd  have won another title or two.

I think we can agree Rondo is more than just a floor general.  He's not Greivis Vasquez or Kendall Marshall.

The defense and rebounding are there regardless of his teammates, and he has it in him to score a fair number of points and generally dominate a game even if his teammates aren't commanding double teams.

That said, I do think it's fair to say that you're wasting Rondo's talents a bit if you put him on a team without any high level scorers.  It's like having a NASCAR pit crew on hand to keep your Corolla operating at max efficiency.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #49 on: February 18, 2014, 03:12:32 PM »

Offline BigAlTheFuture

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 458
Ric Bucher says that it would take Harrison Barnes and Klay Thompson to get Rondo to Golden State as well as Asik, Lin and an unprotected first to get him to Houston. I would do the first deal without blinking,

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1964598-nba-trade-deadline-deals-ric-bucher-wants-to-see-happen?utm_source=twitter.com&utm_medium=referral&utm_campaign=programming-national

Man that first deal is crazy. No way Golden State takes that. Getting Barnes and Thompson for Rondo would be an absolute steal. I would name my first son Danny
PHX Suns: Russell Westbrook, Chris Bosh, Tristan Thompson, Trevor Ariza, Tony Allen, Trey Lyles, Corey Brewer, Larry Nance Jr., Trey Burke, Troy Daniels, Joffrey Lauvergne, Justin Holiday, Mike Muscala, 14.6

« Reply #50 on: February 18, 2014, 03:15:16 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish

Curry is an on-ball scorer, and makes the most sense as a point guard?  Golden State has no reason to trade for Rondo.

Lin and Asik for Rondo only happens if that unprotected pick is in the top 10 this year which obviously can't happen. 

So far I haven't seen a Rondo trade rumor that sounds like anything but other teams trying to create the sense that the Celtics are shopping Rondo.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #51 on: February 18, 2014, 03:15:27 PM »

Offline fairweatherfan

• Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 2365
  • Be the posts you wish to see in the world.

Man that first deal is crazy. No way Golden State takes that. Getting Barnes and Thompson for Rondo would be an absolute steal. I would name my first son Danny

No doubt.  And running Rondo next to Curry is probably a better idea in theory than practice.  Curry's more of an off-the-dribble shooter than a traditional spot-up guy.

...and watching the video this just sounds like something Bucher is speculating on, not something he's saying is actually being discussed.  Par for the course.
« Last Edit: February 18, 2014, 03:20:48 PM by foulweatherfan »

« Reply #52 on: February 18, 2014, 03:17:43 PM »

Offline rondohondo

• NCE
  • Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 1196

Yea I probably do that deal, Barnes has a ton of potential, thompson is a top 10 SG, both on cheap contracts, though you would have to resign thompson soon.

« Reply #53 on: February 18, 2014, 03:21:35 PM »

Offline LooseCannon

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 950
That said, I do think it's fair to say that you're wasting Rondo's talents a bit if you put him on a team without any high level scorers.

Unless those high-level scorers are capable of playing off the ball, you are probably wasting someone's talents.  You should probably be looking for some good catch-and-shoot scorers to put next to Rondo.
"The worst thing that ever happened in sports was sports radio, and the internet is sports radio on steroids with lower IQs.” -- Brian Burke, former Toronto Maple Leafs senior adviser, at the 2013 MIT Sloan Sports Analytics Conference

« Reply #54 on: February 18, 2014, 03:22:12 PM »

Offline BballTim

• Dave Cowens

I think we can agree Rondo is more than just a floor general.  He's not Greivis Vasquez or Kendall Marshall.

The defense and rebounding are there regardless of his teammates, and he has it in him to score a fair number of points and generally dominate a game even if his teammates aren't commanding double teams.

That said, I do think it's fair to say that you're wasting Rondo's talents a bit if you put him on a team without any high level scorers.  It's like having a NASCAR pit crew on hand to keep your Corolla operating at max efficiency.

It's generally the case that you're wasting a star's talents if you don't surround them with other stars. I think having Rondo means you don't need a great scorer who can create his own offense on a regular basis, and those players are pretty hard to come by.

« Reply #55 on: February 18, 2014, 03:37:24 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish

It's generally the case that you're wasting a star's talents if you don't surround them with other stars. I think having Rondo means you don't need a great scorer who can create his own offense on a regular basis, and those players are pretty hard to come by.

That's true.

However, we haven't seen Rondo orchestrate a particularly prolific or dangerous offense without great scorers to pass to.  In recent years with the Big 3 in decline, the team was pretty abysmal offensively despite Rondo's best efforts.  I'm not saying he doesn't have it in him, but we haven't seen that from him yet.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #56 on: February 18, 2014, 03:59:48 PM »

Offline D.o.s.

• NCE
  • Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 1239

Holiday's not close to that level and he netted a top 6 pick and an unprotected (I believe) pick in a loaded draft from a lottery team.

Holiday was younger and wasn't coming off an ACL, so I think that more or less evens it out.

Again, I'm well aware of Rondo's resume.  I just don't think everybody around the league values the assists as much as you seem to.  Teams giving up a bunch of assets for a core player typically want that guy to be a primary scoring option, unless they already have a couple of high volume scorers (which is why the Kings are interested).

The Kings are a great example of what I'm talking about with the strength of the PG position, though.  Is Rondo an upgrade over Isaiah Thomas?  In a lot of ways, definitely.  No doubt he's a better defender.  But is he so much better that the Kings should give up a ton of assets to make that upgrade, rather than sticking with Thomas and trying to get a competent PF or a SG who's ready to compete now?

I would pay Isaiah Thomas $473,604 to play at 75% of the level that the Celtics are paying Rajon Rondo 12.91 million for.

Except Thomas is in line for a serous pay raise next season.

A serious pay raise that will probably wind up paying him less than Jeff Green's current contract with us.
At least a goldfish with a Lincoln Log on its back goin' across your floor to your sock drawer has a miraculous connotation to it.

« Reply #57 on: February 18, 2014, 04:09:23 PM »

Offline BballTim

• Dave Cowens

That's true.

However, we haven't seen Rondo orchestrate a particularly prolific or dangerous offense without great scorers to pass to.  In recent years with the Big 3 in decline, the team was pretty abysmal offensively despite Rondo's best efforts.  I'm not saying he doesn't have it in him, but we haven't seen that from him yet.

In general they were teams that pretty solid in terms of fg% but short on 3 point shooters and abysmal offensive rebounding. They also didn't have a ton of inside scorers. Rondo's best efforts led to the high fg%, I think making his teammates into 3 point shooters or better offensive rebounders is an awful lot to ask from a point guard.

« Reply #58 on: February 18, 2014, 05:26:56 PM »

Offline Jon

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 385
Danny's going to have to be blown away to make a trade.  Disregarding the fact that there's a strong chance that Danny doesn't really want to trade Rondo to begin with; even if he did want to trade Rondo, there's absolutely no rush to do so.  He might as well hold onto him and see what he can get for him this summer or next trade deadline when he's further removed from the injury. 

And generally speaking, I think that'll be Danny's entire attitude towards this trade deadline.  Unless there are very strong deals, there's no reason to trade anyone.  Even with guys like Humphries and Bradley, Danny can always work sign and trades this summer.