Author Topic: NBA Sources: Despite swirling rumors, expect Rondo to stick with Celtics  (Read 14266 times)

Re: NBA Sources: Despite swirling rumors, expect Rondo to stick with Celtics
« Reply #30 on: February 18, 2014, 01:43:16 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182

Again, though, if you think it's a case of Danny valuing Rondo higher than other GMs do, start listing regular all-stars in their 20s that are happy and playing for teams that want to keep them that you think could be had for a reasonable price. If there's an injury involved, someone who's back on the court and isn't showing signs of permanent/recurring issues.

As mentioned before, I think Holiday is probably the closest and most recent comp we can make at this point.  The only other point guard trade I can think of in recent years was the Deron Williams trade, and I think it's fair to say he was held in higher regard league-wide than Rondo is.  In any case, I don't think you can go back too far with these trade comparisons because the market changes over time, especially with a new CBA.

Another complicating factor is that usually when you're talking about perennial All-Stars you're talking about guys who score 18-20+ points a game.  Not many All-Stars average ~12 points a game for their career.  That doesn't mean Rondo isn't a legitimate All-Star.  The point is just that right or wrong, the ability to be a volume scorer on a nightly basis is highly valued around the league.

All of this is to say that Danny probably values Rondo differently than most GMs around the league because I expect that if you asked 5 GMs about Rondo's value there's a good chance you'd get 5 different answers. 
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #31 on: February 18, 2014, 01:50:46 PM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2016
Probably posturing. 

« Reply #32 on: February 18, 2014, 02:00:24 PM »

Offline BballTim

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 1123

Again, though, if you think it's a case of Danny valuing Rondo higher than other GMs do, start listing regular all-stars in their 20s that are happy and playing for teams that want to keep them that you think could be had for a reasonable price. If there's an injury involved, someone who's back on the court and isn't showing signs of permanent/recurring issues.

As mentioned before, I think Holiday is probably the closest and most recent comp we can make at this point.  The only other point guard trade I can think of in recent years was the Deron Williams trade, and I think it's fair to say he was held in higher regard league-wide than Rondo is.  In any case, I don't think you can go back too far with these trade comparisons because the market changes over time, especially with a new CBA.

Another complicating factor is that usually when you're talking about perennial All-Stars you're talking about guys who score 18-20+ points a game.  Not many All-Stars average ~12 points a game for their career.  That doesn't mean Rondo isn't a legitimate All-Star.  The point is just that right or wrong, the ability to be a volume scorer on a nightly basis is highly valued around the league.

All of this is to say that Danny probably values Rondo differently than most GMs around the league because I expect that if you asked 5 GMs about Rondo's value there's a good chance you'd get 5 different answers.

Holiday's not close to that level and he netted a top 6 pick and an unprotected (I believe) pick in a loaded draft from a lottery team. Williams is probably a good comparison (although he was rumored to be quite involved in Sloan leaving the Jazz) and he still netted the 3rd pick from the previous draft, an unprotected pick in the next draft from a terrible team and 2 future firsts. How much more than that is Danny asking?

And it's true most all-stars score more than Rondo. It's also true that few of them average 11+ assists 3 times by the age Rondo did. And by few I mean just Magic and Rondo.

« Reply #33 on: February 18, 2014, 02:04:36 PM »

Offline LooseCannon

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 950
The pick traded for Holiday is top-five protected through 2019.
"The worst thing that ever happened in sports was sports radio, and the internet is sports radio on steroids with lower IQs.” -- Brian Burke, former Toronto Maple Leafs senior adviser, at the 2013 MIT Sloan Sports Analytics Conference

« Reply #34 on: February 18, 2014, 02:10:42 PM »

Offline BballTim

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 1123
The pick traded for Holiday is top-five protected through 2019.

Ah. Even still, two high draft picks for a player who's not really close to Rondo's level.

« Reply #35 on: February 18, 2014, 02:11:59 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182

Holiday's not close to that level and he netted a top 6 pick and an unprotected (I believe) pick in a loaded draft from a lottery team.

Holiday was younger and wasn't coming off an ACL, so I think that more or less evens it out.

Again, I'm well aware of Rondo's resume.  I just don't think everybody around the league values the assists as much as you seem to.  Teams giving up a bunch of assets for a core player typically want that guy to be a primary scoring option, unless they already have a couple of high volume scorers (which is why the Kings are interested).

The Kings are a great example of what I'm talking about with the strength of the PG position, though.  Is Rondo an upgrade over Isaiah Thomas?  In a lot of ways, definitely.  No doubt he's a better defender.  But is he so much better that the Kings should give up a ton of assets to make that upgrade, rather than sticking with Thomas and trying to get a competent PF or a SG who's ready to compete now?
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #36 on: February 18, 2014, 02:17:11 PM »

Offline BleedGreen1989

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 568
Probably posturing.

Lol you're getting too predictable LB.

You gotta change something up so you can catch us off guard.

Perhaps fall in love with a random Celtic player (Phil Pressey?) and vehemently defend them in every thread.
*CB Miami Heat*
Kyle Lowry, Dwayne Wade, 13th pick in even numbered rounds, 18th pick in odd numbered rounds.

« Reply #37 on: February 18, 2014, 02:22:34 PM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2016
Probably posturing.

Perhaps fall in love with a random Celtic player (Phil Pressey?) and vehemently defend them in every thread.
But it probably is posturing.  We know Boston is talking to teams about Rondo.  The second you make it sound like you're desperate to trade him, the less serious the offers will get.  It's the issue Houston ran into.  They set a deadline where they fully intended to trade Asik.  At that point opposing teams were like, "Lol... offer up Brandon Bass... maybe we can steal him for nothin".

Still a good chance we keep him, but I think it's naive to think that just because Boston is saying the obvious and doing the obvious that it makes Rondo safe.
« Last Edit: February 18, 2014, 02:28:20 PM by LarBrd33 »

« Reply #38 on: February 18, 2014, 02:27:38 PM »

Offline BleedGreen1989

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 568
Probably posturing.

But it probably is posturing.  We know Boston is talking to teams about Rondo.  The second you make it sound like you're desperate to trade him, the less serious the offers will get.  It's the issue Houston ran into.  They set a deadline where they fully intended to trade Asik.  At that point opposing teams were like, "Lol... offer up Brandon Bass... maybe we can steal him for nothin"

I'm sure Boston talks to teams about Rondo all the time, but I tend to think they're not long conversations.

I wouldn't be surprised if it's something to simply wash away any low-ball offers, but I don't believe Ainge is set on trading him and using this report to up the offers before Thursday. (Not saying you said this either)
*CB Miami Heat*
Kyle Lowry, Dwayne Wade, 13th pick in even numbered rounds, 18th pick in odd numbered rounds.

« Reply #39 on: February 18, 2014, 02:29:54 PM »

Online SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2968
Yahoo Sports didn't say they were two first round picks.

Just sayin'.

Last night they certainly did, just sayin.....

By the way could there be any more annoying internet phrase as "just sayin"?  :P

Yup........hearing the word. ". Seriously. And Epic ". ,,,,,,,used a trillion times over ........ ;)

Rondo remains a Celtic though the trade deadline.......I see no reason to trade him......he will be needed to attract a star like Love eventually .

When, the season ends and we see who is drafting where.   ......could be a new day for moving Big assets.

We need a super tanker effort  to shore up the draft pick.
« Last Edit: February 18, 2014, 02:39:32 PM by SHAQATTACK »

« Reply #40 on: February 18, 2014, 02:36:01 PM »

Offline D.o.s.

• NCE
  • Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 1239

Holiday's not close to that level and he netted a top 6 pick and an unprotected (I believe) pick in a loaded draft from a lottery team.

Holiday was younger and wasn't coming off an ACL, so I think that more or less evens it out.

Again, I'm well aware of Rondo's resume.  I just don't think everybody around the league values the assists as much as you seem to.  Teams giving up a bunch of assets for a core player typically want that guy to be a primary scoring option, unless they already have a couple of high volume scorers (which is why the Kings are interested).

The Kings are a great example of what I'm talking about with the strength of the PG position, though.  Is Rondo an upgrade over Isaiah Thomas?  In a lot of ways, definitely.  No doubt he's a better defender.  But is he so much better that the Kings should give up a ton of assets to make that upgrade, rather than sticking with Thomas and trying to get a competent PF or a SG who's ready to compete now?

I would pay Isaiah Thomas $473,604 to play at 75% of the level that the Celtics are paying Rajon Rondo 12.91 million for.
At least a goldfish with a Lincoln Log on its back goin' across your floor to your sock drawer has a miraculous connotation to it.

« Reply #41 on: February 18, 2014, 02:46:43 PM »

Offline Timdawgg

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 623

I would pay Isaiah Thomas $473,604 to play at 75% of the level that the Celtics are paying Rajon Rondo 12.91 million for.

Sorry, if you are going for championships you need someone with 100% of Rondo, otherwise they are just like the 10 other guys on the team (excluding Sully)  We need another 100% guys no more 75% just because of Salary...
A winner is someone who recognizes his God-given talents, works his tail off to develop them into skills, and uses these skills to accomplish his goals.

Push yourself again and again. Don't give an inch until the final buzzer sounds.

Larry Bird

« Reply #42 on: February 18, 2014, 02:47:40 PM »

Offline CoachBo

• NCE
  • Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 336

Excellent take.

This is actually a fascinating dilemma for Ainge. Rondo is not a volume scorer, nor will he ever be. His value to a team lies in setting up volume scorers - which the Celtics lack and may lack for awhile.

So Rondo's not going to put up big numbers for awhile in Boston. Not an issue if he was sincere about wanting to stay in Boston. The shortest path back to respectability is keeping Rondo and making that bid for a big summer after next.

But here comes that pesky "Wouldn't it be neat to try free agency?" gambit from Rondo and his agent to muddy up the mix.

Those of you who love Rondo more than the uniform probably ought to look at your hero when agonizing needlessly over the next several days.

His free agency statement created a big piece of this dilemma.
Coined the CelticsBlog term, "Euromistake."

« Reply #43 on: February 18, 2014, 02:49:05 PM »

Offline wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • Basketball is Newtonian Physics

Except Thomas is in line for a serous pay raise next season.

« Reply #44 on: February 18, 2014, 02:53:26 PM »

Offline Mr October

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 247

You make a good point about the value placed on scorers who regularly put up over 18ppg.

Scorers are overpaid all the time. Defenders and workers get lower contracts. I actually dont think rondo is getting the max from anyone. He just doesn't score enough to warrant 20 million per year. Maybe a a team like the knicks would be desperate enough to do that. But then they will have very little to work with to build around Anthony and rondo. It would be another mistake on their part.

Rondo is super valuable when he has at least 2 weapons alongside him, as any pass first point guard would be. At least 3 weapons would be ideal.