Author Topic: NBA Sources: Despite swirling rumors, expect Rondo to stick with Celtics  (Read 14247 times)

Re: NBA Sources: Despite swirling rumors, expect Rondo to stick with Celtics
« Reply #15 on: February 18, 2014, 12:53:28 PM »

Offline D.o.s.

• NCE
  • Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 1239
I think there's a lot of talk about Rondo because he's the only 'exciting' name on the roster at the moment, but realistically Danny's asking price is probably too high for anybody to make a strong offer.

His asking price is reasonable, people just think he's going to give away Rondo for whatever he can get.

Just as an exercise start thinking of players in their 20s who, when healthy, are perennial all-stars (or have been to at least 3-4 all-star games if you prefer) who are happy in their situation and who's teams have no pressing need to trade them. what kind of offer do you think their teams would trade them for?

Gilbert Arenas was worth Rashard Lewis when he was 29.
At least a goldfish with a Lincoln Log on its back goin' across your floor to your sock drawer has a miraculous connotation to it.

« Reply #16 on: February 18, 2014, 01:08:25 PM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327
Gilbert Arenas is still getting paid $20 million dollars to not play. Not a relevant example.

Holiday is the closest comp we have recently. Though guys like Ray Allen in the past and the others have been traded too.

« Reply #17 on: February 18, 2014, 01:08:58 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
I think there's a lot of talk about Rondo because he's the only 'exciting' name on the roster at the moment, but realistically Danny's asking price is probably too high for anybody to make a strong offer.

His asking price is reasonable, people just think he's going to give away Rondo for whatever he can get.

I never said Danny's asking price was or was not reasonable. 

My point is just that the offers for Rondo are going to be lower than Danny is likely to accept because Rondo is still not far off from his injury.  I do think that Danny likely values Rondo higher than most GMs in the league probably do, just because Rondo's a unique talent and the Celtics know he likes being in Boston and that he can succeed here.

As you've said, there's no reason for Danny to have a sense of urgency to trade Rondo now, if he's going to trade him at all.  So he's going to have to receive a really strong trade offer to get him interested.

I think you do have to factor in position when you're talking about a player's worth, though.  Rondo is definitely a very accomplished player, and he's better than most other guys at his position.  But the overall talent level at his position is strong, so not many teams have acquiring a point guard as a major priority.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #18 on: February 18, 2014, 01:10:34 PM »

Offline fairweatherfan

• Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 2365
  • Be the posts you wish to see in the world.
I agree with the topic, Danny's clearly fielding offers, and probably making some too, but I think his price will be higher than what any plausible candidate would be willing to pay.

...ironically I think one of the few teams with the resources and will to meet Danny's price would be the Lakers.  But that might be a bridge too far even for him.

« Reply #19 on: February 18, 2014, 01:13:03 PM »

Offline D.o.s.

• NCE
  • Cedric Maxwell
Gilbert Arenas is still getting paid $20 million dollars to not play. Not a relevant example.

Holiday is the closest comp we have recently. Though guys like Ray Allen in the past and the others have been traded too.

Holiday doesn't fit the criteria though. Arenas does.  ;D
At least a goldfish with a Lincoln Log on its back goin' across your floor to your sock drawer has a miraculous connotation to it.

« Reply #20 on: February 18, 2014, 01:13:34 PM »

Offline BballTim

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 1123

Just as an exercise start thinking of players in their 20s who, when healthy, are perennial all-stars (or have been to at least 3-4 all-star games if you prefer) who are happy in their situation and who's teams have no pressing need to trade them. what kind of offer do you think their teams would trade them for?

Haha. You're claiming that Washington had no pressing reason to trade Arenas? You should do a little more research. Start with the whole "rarely stepping onto the court for a few seasons in spite of being on a massive, long-term contract, and then look try googling "Arenas" and "guns" and "locker room".

The fact that this is who you came up with pretty much shows my point. If Rondo ever gets to be the guy Arenas was before the trade then I'll drive him to the airport myself when he's traded.

« Reply #21 on: February 18, 2014, 01:16:20 PM »

Offline CoachBo

• NCE
  • Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 336
If Danny's plan is to attract a big after next year, then keeping Rondo is the thing to do - unless Rondo's planning to extort a max contract, which he in no way deserves, with this free agent nonsense.

Which goes back to my earlier point: Perhaps the rumors are the product of this free agent nonsense, rather than Ainge aggressively shopping him.
Coined the CelticsBlog term, "Euromistake."

« Reply #22 on: February 18, 2014, 01:18:12 PM »

Offline D.o.s.

• NCE
  • Cedric Maxwell

Haha. You're claiming that Washington had no pressing reason to trade Arenas? You should do a little more research. Start with the whole "rarely stepping onto the court for a few seasons in spite of being on a massive, long-term contract, and then look try googling "Arenas" and "guns" and "locker room".

The fact that this is who you came up with pretty much shows my point. If Rondo ever gets to be the guy Arenas was before the trade then I'll drive him to the airport myself when he's traded.

It's a fun lunchtime activity.

I guess Joe Johnson from ATL to Brooklyn counts, and that was one draft pick plus:
 Jordan Farmar, Anthony Morrow, Jordan Williams, Johan Petro, and DeShawn Stevenson.

If you're trading Rondo for that package, you're at least getting the same number of NBA champions that you're sending out? ;)

« Reply #23 on: February 18, 2014, 01:18:35 PM »

Offline BballTim

• Dave Cowens

I never said Danny's asking price was or was not reasonable. 

My point is just that the offers for Rondo are going to be lower than Danny is likely to accept because Rondo is still not far off from his injury.  I do think that Danny likely values Rondo higher than most GMs in the league probably do, just because Rondo's a unique talent and the Celtics know he likes being in Boston and that he can succeed here.

As you've said, there's no reason for Danny to have a sense of urgency to trade Rondo now, if he's going to trade him at all.  So he's going to have to receive a really strong trade offer to get him interested.

I think you do have to factor in position when you're talking about a player's worth, though.  Rondo is definitely a very accomplished player, and he's better than most other guys at his position.  But the overall talent level at his position is strong, so not many teams have acquiring a point guard as a major priority.

Again, though, if you think it's a case of Danny valuing Rondo higher than other GMs do, start listing regular all-stars in their 20s that are happy and playing for teams that want to keep them that you think could be had for a reasonable price. If there's an injury involved, someone who's back on the court and isn't showing signs of permanent/recurring issues.

« Reply #24 on: February 18, 2014, 01:19:24 PM »

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • What a Pub Should Be
I'd be mouth open shocked if Rondo is moved before the tradeline.  I just don't see the need for Danny to rush anything (and by looking what's out there) getting 25 to 50 cents on the dollar in return. 

Especially with the uncertainty of where the Celtics draft pick ultimately lands.

If they land a top 5 pick while keeping Rondo and maintaining this stash of assets, they are going to be well on their way to a relatively quick rebuild.

EDIT:  Again, what is the rush to move Rondo right now?

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #25 on: February 18, 2014, 01:20:13 PM »

Offline RJ87

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1406
  • Let's Go Celtics!

Lol, I do enjoy short memories. Washington pretty much had to trade Arenas. His deal was bloated, he brought guns into the locker room, and they just drafted John Wall. Even then, they had to take on Rashard Lewis' $20m corpse to move him.
2021 Houston Rockets
PG: Kyrie Irving/Patty Mills/Jalen Brunson
SG: OG Anunoby/Norman Powell/Matisse Thybulle
SF: Gordon Hayward/Demar Derozan
PF: Giannis Antetokounmpo/Robert Covington
C: Kristaps Porzingis/Bobby Portis/James Wiseman

« Reply #26 on: February 18, 2014, 01:21:07 PM »

Offline BballTim

• Dave Cowens

I guess Joe Johnson from ATL to Brooklyn counts, and that was one draft pick plus:
 Jordan Farmar, Anthony Morrow, Jordan Williams, Johan Petro, and DeShawn Stevenson.

If you're trading Rondo for that package, you're at least getting the same number of NBA champions that you're sending out? ;)

Not in his 20s.

« Reply #27 on: February 18, 2014, 01:27:55 PM »

Offline D.o.s.

• NCE
  • Cedric Maxwell

Not in his 20s.
:'(

I'm trying to do it without googling.

« Reply #28 on: February 18, 2014, 01:29:59 PM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327
Lets move things back on topic and stop with the baiting

« Reply #29 on: February 18, 2014, 01:32:42 PM »

Offline 2short

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 428

I have a feeling we're not going to hear much if at all about the player or players who end up getting moved on deadline day -- i.e. Bass, Bogans, Green.

I'm beginning to think Danny's asking price for Rondo is a way to tell other teams to screw off :)
yes, 2 first round drafts picks, 2 of your best players and a pound of flesh!  ;)