Author Topic: NBA Sources: Despite swirling rumors, expect Rondo to stick with Celtics  (Read 14267 times)

Offline rondohondo

• NCE
  • Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 1196
As has become the custom, any period of NBA trade activity features Celtics guard Rajon Rondo prominently. Also customary, though, is this: Sources told Sporting News this week that there is very little chance the Celtics find a deal involving Rondo this year.

“It really is the same thing, teams call about him but the Celtics want him and he wants to be the leader of that team,” one source said. “It has always been his intention to establish himself in that role, to be part of the rebuilding and to stay in Boston for a long time. Nothing has changed.”
Yahoo! Sports reported that Sacramento made an offer for Rondo that included two first-round picks and rookie Ben McLemore, but the Celtics would want a more established player than McLemore if a deal were to be considered, and the Kings were rebuffed.

The Toronto Sun reported that the Raptors also inquired about Rondo, but a source told Sporting News that, unless there is a multi-team deal, Toronto does not have the assets to land Rondo. Which has been typical of the conversations involving Rondo for the last two years — teams call and ask, the Celtics give an idea of what it will take to make a deal happen, and the conversation ends there.

http://www.sportingnews.com/nba/story/2014-02-18/nba-trade-rumors-rajon-rondo-celtics-kings-raptors-love-aldridge-hibbert-gasol-chandler-lopez-jordan?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

As much as some on here want to see Rondo traded for mediocre young player, it ain't happening! Danny is no fool.

Re: NBA Sources: Despite swirling rumors, expect Rondo to stick with Celtics
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2014, 12:08:18 PM »

Offline D.o.s.

• NCE
  • Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 1239
Yahoo Sports didn't say they were two first round picks.

Just sayin'.
At least a goldfish with a Lincoln Log on its back goin' across your floor to your sock drawer has a miraculous connotation to it.

« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2014, 12:10:53 PM »

Offline rondohondo

• NCE
  • Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 1196

Just sayin'.

Last night they certainly did, just sayin.....

By the way could there be any more annoying internet phrase as "just sayin"?  :P

« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2014, 12:13:00 PM »

Offline Mr October

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 247
This is good to hear. All the rumors coming in sound one sided anyway.

I am looking forward to seeing rondo continue to regain his old form.

« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2014, 12:13:59 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
I think there's a lot of talk about Rondo because he's the only 'exciting' name on the roster at the moment, but realistically Danny's asking price is probably too high for anybody to make a strong offer.

I have a feeling we're not going to hear much if at all about the player or players who end up getting moved on deadline day -- i.e. Bass, Bogans, Green.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2014, 12:16:37 PM »

Offline manl_lui

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 427
I think there's a lot of talk about Rondo because he's the only 'exciting' name on the roster at the moment, but realistically Danny's asking price is probably too high for anybody to make a strong offer.

I have a feeling we're not going to hear much if at all about the player or players who end up getting moved on deadline day -- i.e. Bass, Bogans, Green.

I'm beginning to think Danny's asking price for Rondo is a way to tell other teams to screw off :)

« Reply #6 on: February 18, 2014, 12:18:58 PM »

Offline D.o.s.

• NCE
  • Cedric Maxwell

Just sayin'.

By the way could there be any more annoying internet phrase as "just sayin"?  :P

Right. Well it's possible the yahoo piece has been edited, but the spears story (nestled in the power rankings) says this:
 Source said Kings and C's discussed a deal involving Isaiah Thomas, Ben McLemore and a pick for Rajon Rondo.
http://sports.yahoo.com/news/nba-power-rankings--will-rockets-keep-momentum-going-post-all-star-break-010802982-nba.html?utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter

And the two-picks notion seems to orginate from Sam Smith, who didn't specify that they were first rounders.

SBN (who I trust more than the average bear) posted their reporting on the spears story as "Sacramento offered Isaiah Thomas, Ben McLemore and two picks for Celtics guard Rajon Rondo,"

http://www.sbnation.com/nba/2014/2/17/5421106/nba-trade-rumors-rajon-rondo-ben-mclemore-isaiah-thomas
At least a goldfish with a Lincoln Log on its back goin' across your floor to your sock drawer has a miraculous connotation to it.

« Reply #7 on: February 18, 2014, 12:20:35 PM »

Offline Evantime34

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 764
  • Eagerly Awaiting the Next Fantasy Draft

Just sayin'.

Right. Well it's possible the yahoo piece has been edited, but the spears story (nestled in the power rankings) says this:
 Source said Kings and C's discussed a deal involving Isaiah Thomas, Ben McLemore and a pick for Rajon Rondo.
http://sports.yahoo.com/news/nba-power-rankings--will-rockets-keep-momentum-going-post-all-star-break-010802982-nba.html?utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter

And the two-picks is from Sam Smith, who didn't specify that they were first rounders.
It was changed after the fact. Jay King tweeted to alert us to this, that tweet was either posted earlier in this thread or in a different thread.
DKC:  Rockets
CB Draft: Memphis Grizz
Players: Klay Thompson, Jabari Parker, Aaron Gordon
Next 3 picks: 4.14, 4.15, 4.19

« Reply #8 on: February 18, 2014, 12:20:41 PM »

Offline heyvik

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 75

I'm beginning to think Danny's asking price for Rondo is a way to tell other teams to screw off :)

Actually I think Danny is fielding calls so that he can use the flurry of trade chatter to capitalize on 'upping' Rondo's value....Very smart danny....very smart.

« Reply #9 on: February 18, 2014, 12:21:36 PM »

Offline Enzzo

• Brad Stevens
  • Tommy Points: 16

Just sayin'.

It's just as annoying in real conversation as well.

As far as this article, good! I'm sick of hearing of new rumors and everyone being on the fence. I agree with PhoSita, Rondo getting traded is big news but trading Green, AB, Wallace and Humps at once will barely cause a ripple in deadline news.

« Reply #10 on: February 18, 2014, 12:27:47 PM »

Offline D.o.s.

• NCE
  • Cedric Maxwell

Just sayin'.

And the two-picks is from Sam Smith, who didn't specify that they were first rounders.
It was changed after the fact. Jay King tweeted to alert us to this, that tweet was either posted earlier in this thread or in a different thread.

TP for the heads up. My guess is that there were two picks, but they weren't recent first rounders (based on SacTown's current situation with draft picks)

« Reply #11 on: February 18, 2014, 12:29:17 PM »

Offline BballTim

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 1123

His asking price is reasonable, people just think he's going to give away Rondo for whatever he can get.

Just as an exercise start thinking of players in their 20s who, when healthy, are perennial all-stars (or have been to at least 3-4 all-star games if you prefer) who are happy in their situation and who's teams have no pressing need to trade them. what kind of offer do you think their teams would trade them for?

« Reply #12 on: February 18, 2014, 12:38:43 PM »

Offline LooseCannon

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 950
And the two-picks notion seems to orginate from Sam Smith, who didn't specify that they were first rounders.

Sam Smith said:

The asking price if you can get Rondo is said to be two unprotected first rounders.

Zach Lowe tweeted that he had heard the same thing, so I tend to believe that there are people who work for NBA front offices telling sports journalists that Ainge is asking for two unprotected picks.

I'm guessing that the reporting on this comes from people leaking details in an attempt to drive down Ainge's price, hoping that the public conventional wisdom will be that Danny is being insane, but I doubt Ainge will relent to that sort of pressure.
"The worst thing that ever happened in sports was sports radio, and the internet is sports radio on steroids with lower IQs.” -- Brian Burke, former Toronto Maple Leafs senior adviser, at the 2013 MIT Sloan Sports Analytics Conference

« Reply #13 on: February 18, 2014, 12:42:20 PM »

Offline BleedGreen1989

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 568

His asking price is reasonable, people just think he's going to give away Rondo for whatever he can get.

Just as an exercise start thinking of players in their 20s who, when healthy, are perennial all-stars (or have been to at least 3-4 all-star games if you prefer) who are happy in their situation and who's teams have no pressing need to trade them. what kind of offer do you think their teams would trade them for?

Quoted for truth.
*CB Miami Heat*
Kyle Lowry, Dwayne Wade, 13th pick in even numbered rounds, 18th pick in odd numbered rounds.

« Reply #14 on: February 18, 2014, 12:52:07 PM »

Offline D.o.s.

• NCE
  • Cedric Maxwell

Sam Smith said:

The asking price if you can get Rondo is said to be two unprotected first rounders.

Zach Lowe tweeted that he had heard the same thing, so I tend to believe that there are people who work for NBA front offices telling sports journalists that Ainge is asking for two unprotected picks.

I'm guessing that the reporting on this comes from people leaking details in an attempt to drive down Ainge's price, hoping that the public conventional wisdom will be that Danny is being insane, but I doubt Ainge will relent to that sort of pressure.

Gotchya. I'm all over being wrong today, it seems.

Unprotected doesn't mean "high", though.