Author Topic: A. Sherrod Blakely: Pelicans could be in play for Rondo  (Read 18717 times)

Re: A. Sherrod Blakely: Pelicans could be in play for Rondo
« Reply #60 on: February 18, 2014, 11:32:35 AM »

Offline BballTim

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 1123
No, that doesn't make sense to me, and .48 to .438 isn't all that close. The difference is over 10%.
I'm not sure Rondo will ever shoot 48% in a season again. The shot selection will be quite different without Pierce, Allen and Garnett.

He might take more threes, that's about it. Playing close to Rondo on the perimeter makes it easier to do the things he excels at (driving or passing) while making it harder to do what he struggles at (outside shot).

« Reply #61 on: February 18, 2014, 11:41:13 AM »

Offline BballTim

• Dave Cowens
Wow, the overvaluing of Rondo continues ???

Don't understand what some see in a point guard that can't shoot.

Probably because they've seen the way he can pass and run an offense.

I understand that my thoughts on Rondo as a player is very debatable.

It all depends on what you look for in a point guard.

I prefer a point guard that can offensively take over a game by himself.

Others prefer one who looks to create opportunities for his teammates.

It's all subjective. There's certainly no fact bearing that Holiday is a better player than Rondo and don't mean to slight any Rondo fans.

I just prefer a high scoring point guard, that's all.

Plus admittedly, I remember being pretty impressed with Holiday when he was a Sixer.

And therein lies the rub with Rondo. He is not a premier scorer - never has been, and never will be.

His value lies more in the teammates around him he can supply with the basketball, if said teammates are premier scorers - which none of them are on this basketball team.

And all of Rondo's substantial warts aside, that and that alone is why what value he has will not be maximized for a good while in Boston.

Teams with premier scorers don't need Rondo, teams with players who aren't that great at creating their own offense do. Rondo has more value to teams with players who would score better if they got easier looks at the basket, there are quite a few teams like that in the league.

« Reply #62 on: February 18, 2014, 11:44:17 AM »

Offline Chief Macho

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 84
this is bs.

« Reply #63 on: February 18, 2014, 11:46:24 AM »

Offline rtceltics

• Jaden Springer
  • Tommy Points: 2
You might as well say this report came from Draper. Two no bodies in Celtic world. This is what happens when big corporate takes over. They have shoved these two guys down our throat, they know nothing about Celtics, history. Of the team, and most of all, basketball. They read bleacher reports and then use that as if they had breaking news.

Please Celtics have guys who know what they are talking about represent you. Draper is a jerk.

« Reply #64 on: February 18, 2014, 03:42:57 PM »

Offline mmmmm

• NCE
  • Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 862
No, that doesn't make sense to me, and .48 to .438 isn't all that close. The difference is over 10%.
I'm not sure Rondo will ever shoot 48% in a season again. The shot selection will be quite different without Pierce, Allen and Garnett.

Maybe.  You could be pointing to his currently low 42.4% and thinking that will be his norm going forward (as opposed to his career 48%).  (I.E. let's ignore that he's only 10 games back from rehab).

But it's interesting to note that his eFG% (.480) is still close to his career number (.489) because, well, he's been taking and making 3PT shots at a 37.9% clip.

If we assume he'll be a '42.4% FG shooter' going forward, is it also fair to assume he'll be a 38% 3PT shooter going forward?

Ultimately, whether with 2PT shots or 3PT shots,  as long as his eFG% is north of 47%, he'll continue to be an effective shooter from the field.   

I just hope he can nudge his FT% up north of 66%.   He got close last year (64.5%).

NBA Officiating - Corrupt?  Incompetent?  Which is worse?  Does it matter?  It sucks.

« Reply #65 on: February 18, 2014, 03:52:51 PM »

Offline Evantime34

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 764
  • Eagerly Awaiting the Next Fantasy Draft

Maybe.  You could be pointing to his currently low 42.4% and thinking that will be his norm going forward (as opposed to his career 48%).  (I.E. let's ignore that he's only 10 games back from rehab).

But it's interesting to note that his eFG% (.480) is still close to his career number (.489) because, well, he's been taking and making 3PT shots at a 37.9% clip.

If we assume he'll be a '42.4% FG shooter' going forward, is it also fair to assume he'll be a 38% 3PT shooter going forward?

Ultimately, whether with 2PT shots or 3PT shots,  as long as his eFG% is north of 47%, he'll continue to be an effective shooter from the field.   

I just hope he can nudge his FT% up north of 66%.   He got close last year (64.5%).
He has barely been going to the hoop at all this year. I think once he is 100% you will see him do that. If he is able to combine that with his recently improved three point shooting you could see him put up some great shooting numbers.
DKC:  Rockets
CB Draft: Memphis Grizz
Players: Klay Thompson, Jabari Parker, Aaron Gordon
Next 3 picks: 4.14, 4.15, 4.19

« Reply #66 on: February 18, 2014, 03:53:59 PM »

Offline gpap

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 417
Yup, the more I think about this, the more I realize I totally wasted my time even commenting on it because Sherrod hasn't even come close to reporting anything that's been true.

It amazes me how he even has a job.

« Reply #67 on: February 18, 2014, 04:01:44 PM »

Offline D.o.s.

• NCE
  • Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 1239
Sherrod's a fine anchor/reporter. I think he's just a guy that hasn't had Twitter do his professional "breaking news" style work too many favors.
At least a goldfish with a Lincoln Log on its back goin' across your floor to your sock drawer has a miraculous connotation to it.

« Reply #68 on: February 18, 2014, 04:02:16 PM »

Offline BballTim

• Dave Cowens
Yup, the more I think about this, the more I realize I totally wasted my time even commenting on it because Sherrod hasn't even come close to reporting anything that's been true.

It amazes me how he even has a job.

Only until you consider people who have similar jobs.